*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064706-Dinner-and-a-Book
by QPdoll
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2064706
Daily Flash Fiction Contest Entry: use words dragon, unicorn, and fairy
She picked up a book and ran to her grandma in the living room.

"Grandma, will you read this book to me?" she asked excitedly.

"Well of course I will, sugar. Bring it here."

"Ashley went to her grandmother, climbed onto her lap and handed her the book."

"Let's see what we have here," said grandma as she took the book. "Carrie the Fairy Loves Her Pets Grandma read the title. Oh this sounds fun. Let's read. Carrie the Fairy lived in a little village..."

Grandma continued to read to Ashley while her mom and dad were outside having a discussion.

"I don't understand why you don't want to go over to their house," she said. "They've invited us over so many times and each time you've refused. What gives, David?"

"That woman is a dragon, Becky. A dragon, do you hear me? I've seen her rip off people's heads, blow fire down their throats and put their heads on backwards."

Becky replied laughingly, "Seriously. Why would you say that. She seems to be a very nice woman."

"Yeah, well you don't have to work with her. She scares me to death and I don't want to do anything that will make her blow fire in my direction. I'd like to keep my job, thank you."

"I think you'll survive. But I do understand. I don't know how comfortable I'd be to have dinner at my boss's house."

"Thank you. Now ride your little unicorn back to reality and let's figure out where we'd like to take your mother to dinner."

She held David back for just a moment. He gave her a quizzical look and realized what she wanted. He leaned in to give her a kiss.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you, too."

© Copyright 2015 QPdoll (eager2write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064706-Dinner-and-a-Book