*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064947-Flash-Entry-119
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2064947
A man in a meadow has something on his mind
John lay on his back in the green grass of the meadow. The sun was warm and comfortable. He stared at the puffy white clouds as they rolled by overhead. The sky was a beautiful sea of blue. He loved coming to this place. All his troubles and worries just seemed to disappear. Coming here helped him to think when there was something he needed to think about and this was one of those times.

Birds were singing in the trees surrounding the meadow. John could hear them but wasn’t particularly impressed with the sound. He didn’t dislike their songs he just viewed them as background noise.

Suddenly there was a great commotion. A hawk swooped in and chased the birds from the safety of the tree branches. The hawk zeroed in on one of the birds and it tried desperately to escape to no avail. The hawk quickly seized its prey and killed it instantly.

As John observed this he began to think. The hawk killed the smaller bird because it needed it for food. But the hawk was also serving a purpose. It served as population control for the birds in the meadow. It was helping the whole ecosystem of the meadow. It was necessary. John suddenly understood. It was like he had bust through a wall in his mind.

John rose to his feet. He walked to the lookout tower where he had parked his car and opened the trunk. The woman inside had been struggling against the ropes that bound her hands and feet. She froze when the trunk opened.

“Sorry to have kept you waiting”, John said, “but I know what to do now. I am the hawk and you are my little bird.”

She began to sob. John closed the trunk and drove away.
© Copyright 2015 Hugh M. Bean (bmcginnis007 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064947-Flash-Entry-119