*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065944-The-Nightmare
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2065944
A story about determination.
The Nightmare
Darkness enveloped Kate. The darkness was like a giant suffocating blanket that covered the plane. Kate couldn't see her hand in front of her face. The darkness was unlike anything she had ever known. She felt overwhelming fear, it was like the fear of being lost in a big city or being left behind at a rest stop on a family vacation. She was starting to get scared. She couldn't find her coach on the giant plane. He was lost in the sea of people. She and her friend Stacy were separated, she was lost. Traveling to Dayton, Ohio for a basketball game was fun because of riding on the plane, but she really wanted to go home to Tennessee to see her mom and dad. Before they landed Mr. Jacks put the girls in groups of two, because some how he knew what was going to happen.
The Plane landed in the hanger. Then suddenly a giant blue wave covered the airport. Kate could hear terrorizing shrieks and people shouting. The door of the plane opened, Russian soldiers came rushing in. Two of them went directly to where the pilot and co-pilot were, and hit them over the head with a sickening thud. Then another man came into the plane, his face was covered with a mask. He was apparently the leader for he had many soldiers with him. He had several glittering metals, tinted blue from the force field. He began speaking and another man translated.
"The Russian army is taking over America, and you are some of my first hostages," said the Russian leader. "You will not see your families ever again."
This news hit Kate like a punch to the stomach. She had to escape ASAP. Despite what he said Kate knew she would see her family again.
You could see the TV in the airport from the plane. It showed the Russians taking over America just as the Russian Leader said. It was the most disheartening thing she had ever seen.
No one dared to go outside. For fear of not being able to come back, or maybe even getting abducted like the pilots. Kate finally found her team again. They exchanged hugs and how glad they were that she was safe. Soon it got dark, people started laying down their seats to get some sleep.
"Stacy?" whispered Kate, "are you awake?"
"Well I am now," said Stacy in a sleepy tone. "What do you want?"
"I can't hardly breathe in here, said Kate in an exasperated tone.
"Don't even think about going outside Kate," said Stacy in a no nonsense voice. "I don't want you to get captured."
"I can't promise anything," said Kate.
Kate waited a long time for Stacy to go to sleep. She planned to go outside as soon as she was sure Stacy wouldn't wake. Stacy started snoring so Kate assumed it was safe. She tip toed to the door.
"Kate," said a voice in the dark. "Where do you think you are going?"
"I can't sleep," said Kate, she hesitated. "Is that you Mr. Jacks?"
"Yes honey, Please don't go outside, just go back to your seat with Stacy, OK?" said Mr. Jacks.
"I can't Mr. Jacks," said Kate stubbornly. "I promise I won't got far, please?"
"Kate it is against my better judgement but if you must, stay right by the door, OK?" said Mr. Jacks.
"Oh thank you Mr. Jacks!" said Kate too loudly.
"SHHHHH!" came from all over the plan, Kate almost laughed.
Outside Kate could finally breathe. She went over to the force field to investigate. She didn't stay right by the door as Mr. Jacks had instructed and this gave her a pang of guilt, but how could she stay by the door when she might find a way out of this blue colored prison. She looked a piece of shattered glass on the floor, and noticed that the force field reflecting off the glass made a little hole in the force field. This intrigued her, what if she could get her big mirror out of her bag and see if it could make a hole, big enough for her to fit through. This new idea gave her hope. The plane landed in Tennessee and she only lived half a mile away from the airport. This thought made her jump for joy, she was almost home.
After she snuck back into the plane and got her mirror, she soundlessly snuck back out without rousing Mr. Jacks. She placed her mirror under the force field and it made a hole! She then slid through. She was almost through when she saw Mr. Jacks bulldog come up to her. It started to bark, she had to think fast. Suddenly she remembered the beef jerky she had in her pocket, she threw some to the dog and he instantly quieted down.
"Oh wait," said Kate, aloud to herself. "I can't just leave them there they don't know how to get out."
Her conscience started bothering her so she stopped and turned around. She ran back in, and loudly announced to everybody that she had found a way out. Suddenly two soldiers grabbed her and led her out of the plane.
"Mr. Jacks!" she screamed. "Please help me!"
Mr. Jacks came out of the plane with a smile on his face, he took off the big coat he was wearing to reveal his Russian uniform.
"You were in on this from the beginning?" screamed Kate. "How could you?"
Kate twisted so fast that she broke free from the guards. She ran with all her might to the hole in the force field. Tears started streaming down her face. How could her Mr. Jacks be like this? Anger, confusion, and frustration all hit Kate as she ran. She made it to the hole just in time. She slid under the force field and then grabbed her mirror so she wouldn't be followed. Kate ran fast and hard home, as she ran she thought of her friends and the other innocent people on that plane. She knew she had to go back to get them soon, before it was too late.
Kate got to her front yard, and ran up to the door. She banged on it with all her might. Her father opened it and the minute he saw her he grabbed her and took her inside. Her mother and brother were in the family room.
"She's here!" her father yelled. "It's Kate, she's here!"
"Kate?" her mother sounded shocked. "We thought we would never see you again!" Her mother stood up, hugged her and sobbed.
"We missed you so much Katie!" said her brother happily, "how did you escape? We were told that you were trapped in the airport?"
"I used my mirror to make a hole in the force field," Kate said proudly. "But on a more serious note we have to go back, all my friends and teammates are there, and all the other people on the plane. I didn't get to tell them how to escape."
"That will be very dangerous Kate," said her father solemnly. "We may not be able to get in and out with all those people."
"Oh but we must!" said Kate exasperatingly. "They need us."
Just then the TV made a loud announcement, the announcer said
"We have news, the Russian leader, Mr. Jeremy Jacks told us that they are going to behead all the people on plane tomorrow at noon sharp."
"Oh no!" said Kate in despair, "We must save them before noon tomorrow."
Tomorrow came sooner than wanted. Kate had to get up at 4:30 A.M to prepare for the big rescue. Kate called her uncle Samuel, to ask for help.
"Uncle Sam, this is Kate. I am in terrible trouble. My friends are in danger, I need you now. I am sending you a text with the details. I have to go," Kate whispered.
Uncle Samuel was there within the hour with a team and a plan. To get in they would go to the east side farthest from the guard station. They would then use the mirror to get in and then hide it so they would be sure to find it when they made their exit. They would make their way to the guard station lure the guards away and then push the lever to turn off the force field. It was finally time to leave, to put their plan into action.
Kate and her team got to the airport at 5:00A.M. They hurried to the east hanger and Kate showed them how to use the mirrors to get under.
"You slide the mirror under the force field just so," said Kate confidently. "Any questions?"
"Yeah," said Samuel, "once we are in, which direction is the guard station?"
"It is west, towards hanger 13 and to the left," said Kate. "Is everybody ready?
Everybody nodded. This was it, they were either going to rescue the people or just end up getting captured themselves.
Kate went first, she slid her mirror under the force field and quick then as a flash she was under. She then motioned for the next person to come. There were seven people all together, so it took about ten minutes for everyone to get under. Samuel and all but two of his buddies went to the guard station while Kate showed her dad and the other two to the plane. They quickly got the lay out and Kate quietly made her way up to the plane. Surprisingly no one was guarding the prisoners. It just felt wrong, something inside of her was telling her to get away as fast and far as she could go. She didn't realize till just then that this was a trap. Mr. Jacks grabbed her arm and covered her mouth. He pulled her to the guard station where Samuel and his friends were tied up.
"Tie her up," said Mr. Jacks in a demanding voice. "Make certain she can't escape."
"Why are you doing this Mr. Jacks?" Kate pleaded.
"Because I can," said Mr. Jacks haughtily. "There is nothing you can do to stop me." Mr. Jacks was laughing now. A wide sickening grin crossed his face.
"Now all the world will see what happens to people that try to stand in my way!" laughed Mr. Jacks. "I am broadcasting you and your friend's execution on the news today."
Mr. Jack's expression suddenly changed as her dad and the rest of the team tore open the door. This caught Mr. Jacks in such a surprise that he looked away from Kate and the others for just a moment. She then lunged forward and knocked him to the floor.
"There is nothing you can do now Mr. Jacks," Kate said. "It is over, you cannot rule the world while I am around."
The team, overhearing her, were torn between sighs of relief and laughter.
Kate turned around and pulled the lever that turned off the force field. Mr. Jacks had apparently hooked all the force fields together, and that lever turned off all the force fields he had set up.
After Mr. Jacks and his men were tied up, Kate hurried off to find Stacy and the basketball team. She found them on the plane. She untied everyone else first and sent them home.
Kate told the team about Mr. Jacks, and they were sad. Mr. Jacks was someone they thought they knew very well. He was like a second father to them all.



© Copyright 2015 cowgirl (pocket12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2065944-The-Nightmare