*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2066641-How-to-make-a-sci-fi-world
Rated: E · Assignment · Other · #2066641
This will give all the steps
Setting the Stage

1. First of all, plan where your world will be. Like what galaxy, how far away from its sun, how close to the center of the galaxy, etc.

2. Now we need some technical stuff. What type of sun (red dwarf, yellow, etc.)? How big is your world? How dense? How heavy? What is it made of? This part is very difficult because the different parts often contradict each other. Do some research on cosmology to see how you can avoid this.

Now on to making the planet...


Your Planet

1. What plants? Make sure these plants have the functions to live on your world. Research what types of plants can survive what environments. Or just make up your new plants that follow the guidelines. You may choose to have no plants at all! But make sure there is still a way for the inhabitants to get food. And be careful. I see that a lot of times people have their inhabitants eat meat from herbivores. Make sure all animals have food, or they will go extinct.

2. What will your terrain be like? Is it rocky, with jagged peaks, or is it smooth, like a beach? Again, make sure your inhabitants have means to survive whatever environment you put them in.

3. How cold is it here? Is it super cold, like Pluto, or is it hot, like Mercury? Remember; don't kill off your inhabitants.


Your Inhabitants

1. Appearance:


Color of skin:

Are they humanoid? Parasitic?:

Size:

Hair?:

2. Traits:


Habits (e.g., greediness, selflessness, etc.):

Family life?:

Social Stuff (e.g., what traditions, gatherings, etc.)

Religion (develop completely, or you will get stuck):


Connecting (only for people whose main characters visit this planet)


1. How do your characters get to this planet? If it is many light years away, is there a way that you could make them live longer that would make sense according to science? This part will require a lot of research.

2. Now, what will the relationship be with your aliens and you main characters? Will they be enemies, will your main characters that find new species, etc.?



Language and Names


1. Language (note: you might want to develop the whole language or just specific words for emphasis or to define the undefinable)

a. Keep your language simple and keep all your roots constant (examples from English roots: redefine, reidentify)

b. Start out with simple words (e.g., the, it, or, and, etc. Use very simple words in your language for these. It will help you immensely)

c. Make sure that the words have the same style. Imagine a Romanian word next to an English word. It doesn't fit.



2. Names

a. Short and simple, still making sense with the language (instead of shifgrethor and Grigle, perhaps more like shifgrethor and Estraven. Do not use human names like Bob, Frank, etc. Make sure your alien names are easily identifiable in relation to your human names.

b. Have fun with your names! Make them have three middle names if you want (e.g., Therem Harth Rem Ir Estraven).

3. Write your story!!!



Language examples from Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness
© Copyright 2015 Hatesmondays (sammydoh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2066641-How-to-make-a-sci-fi-world