*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067887-Lost-and-Found
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2067887
Dec. 8 Advent Challenge - use line from favorite christmas carol to write short story.
(w/c: 355)

If I hear one more chorus of “It’s the most wonderful time of the year!” I’m going to scream, I muttered under my breath.
What was I thinking to bring Jessie along with me to the mall on the busiest day of the year? I pulled Jessie closer to me holding her hand.

“Ow, mommy, you’re squeezing my hand too tight!”

“Honey it’s very crowded in here, I don’t want to lose you in the crowd,” I replied just as someone knocked into me breaking my hold on Jessie’s hand. The crowd was shoulder to shoulder moving me along with it!

“Jessie! Jessie! Stay where you are! I’m coming for you!” I yelled.

Panic was rising in my chest as my thoughts ran through all the bad what ifs that could happen. I fought against the crowd, forged my way back to the last place we visited. Santa’s Photo Workshop.

The tired elf standing at the front desk watched a split screen monitor.

“My daughter, Jessie, and I were here few minutes ago. We got separated in the crowd. Did she come back here? Have you seen her? She’s wearing a white shirt, green and blue plaid jumper and cowboy boots,” I was on the verge of panic and tears.

“Let’s look at the monitor, maybe you can spot her,” he said moving to one side. “We have remote cameras in each of the rooms.”

The elf clicked through each of the rooms slowly. “No plaid jumper in the reindeer stable.” Another click of the mouse. “No one wearing cowboy boots in the elves workshop.” Another click. “Look who’s sitting in Santa’s leather chair in his office!”

Santa was kneeling before a little girl crying in his chair. “Be of good cheer. We’re looking for your mother right now.” Santa raised his hand to his ear and nodded.

“Jessie, look at the door to my sitting room,” he said as he moved away from the chair.

“Mommie! He found you! Santa said he’d find you!” Jessie leaped into my out-stretched arms.

“Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”
© Copyright 2015 GaelicQueen (gaelicqueen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2067887-Lost-and-Found