*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2068176-Rain
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #2068176
simple story with a deep ending (kind of a bad piece of mine)
"Let's go outside!"
"It's raining." I replied, slumping farther on the couch.
"I don't care if I get wet."
"I do."
"Well I don't."
She sighs and flops down on the couch beside me, staring longingly out the window. "You know what I think the rain is?"?
"What."?
"Tears of angels!" I roll my eyes.
"Who told you that?"?
"No one." She gets up and begins twirling in little circles. She had only been to two ballet classes, but she wouldn't stop talking about it. "What do you think it would be like to be drenched in tears?"
"I dunno."
"Would it be sad?"
"They aren't my own tears so probably not."
"But someone else is sad. Wouldn't that make you sad?" The way she said it made me feel as if I had done something wrong. But I ignored it.
"I dunno."
"Maybe if we go outside in the rain we can feel the sadness of angels. And then make them feel happy again because we know how they feel!"
"Rain isn't the tears of angels, Sarah."
"But what if they were!{" I roll my eyes again, but she catches me and narrows her eyebrows.
"Stop making fun of me or I'll tell mom!" She threatens, and I sigh.
"Tattle-tale..." I mumble.
"I am not!" She screams. "You never listen to me. You never care!" She runs away, something she always does when we get into a fight. Why was she so melodramatic?
I sit back down on the couch and think of what to do. I can't think of anything, so I fall asleep.
"Where's Sarah?" My mom asks. I'm awake.
"I dunno. She ran out of here like an hour ago."
"Ran out? Where?"
"I dunno. Is she not here?"
"No..."
I run outside into the rain, knowing she had probably gone out anyway. Without an adult. Without an older sister to supervise her like she was supposed to have.
"Sarah! Sarah!"
The chill of the water sliding down my back is my only response.
I continue walking down the road, desperately hoping for any sign of her. Then I see it. A car pulled off just a bit of the ways down. I run.
"Have you seen m-" I stop midsentence. The man outside of the car looks up at me with tears in his eyes.
"I was slipping..... I didn't see her.... My windshield wipers were broken....."
Now I understood. I understood why there was pain in my heart. The angels were weeping.
They were crying over the loss of an innocent soul.
"My fault, Sarah.... My fault...."

© Copyright 2015 Skye Jennings (skye.jennings at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2068176-Rain