*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2069718-The-Shard-Working-Title
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2069718
This is a first draft of the first chapter. An help or would be really appreciated. Thanks
CHAPTER 1

Les Merdes was not just hotel and restaurant but an institution; a glorious monument to class and sophistication (two qualities that are tragically lacking in the common man today, if you will forgive my pompous interjection dear reader). The prodigious chef and occasional writer Jean-luc Seydoux set up the Les Merdes far back in the year 1874. He saw it as an organic, living entity striving to cater for every need of what he called âthe more scrumptious people in lifeâ or as I knew them; rich, mostly old and adorned in as many expensive garments as possible in order to show it and so substitute their inherent lack of understanding of the human condition (or at least that is how I saw it).
I must subside and slow down. I think the scene is sufficiently set and I will now get on with the story and so give you what you are reading for. I have rambled about the frequenters of this palace among yurts that was Les Merdes but I could merely gawk at its splendor. I was a mere drone in this enterprise, or at least at that time. My family were not part of this bubble of self-satisfaction and instead had to dwell in a decrepit apartment building. The previous head of the restaurant sweet old Mr Turner (sadly now departed, however the clique that he lived remains) had indulged his pity of the poor drudges that constitute the majority of the population and offered me a job, a chance even at a better life. My job basically consisted of washing up and occasionally waiting on tables if they were short of staff.
On this particular day Marius, the head waiter, came down to my little kingdom of soiled dinning items and called with an unusually stern demeanor even for him.
âSebastian has the flu so you are required upstairs todayâ barked Marius
âYes sir, right awayâ I replied meekly, Marius seemed anxious about something and was clearly stressed.
Clearly sensing my unease Marius pulled a half-smile and tried to look some what kind.
âI apologise if I am being terse with you boy but tonight is a special night and there cannot be any mishaps at all; orders from a higher authorityâ Marius rather hastily explained, still trying his best to seem at all understanding of my troubles âThe great General Verner is here you see, as you know he is quite the VIP and a great benefactor to charity. If he were to endorse Les Merdes, well, I donât need to tell you what a boon that would be. So up to it and sharpish!â
As he turned to leave, his red tail coat swirly as he turned, he suddenly stopped. His head turned to me slightly and he eyed me out of the corner of his eye.
âAnd for God sake boy do something with your hair, you look like an ancient roman toilet brush that has been run over by a bus.â He barked, his voice returning to the harsh tone he used earlier.
Hastily throwing the apron and gloves I used for the washing down on a side table I scampered through the door after Marius. Reaching the changing area for the waiters in record time I found a black waiters outfit and changed as quickly as I could, taking care not to disrupt the integrity of the uniform of course. Remembering the comment about my hair, I went to the bathroom sink and did as best a comb over I could, neatly setting my hair to one side with a right parting. Well I was not exactly a masterpiece, I was tall and whilst being fit I still looked rather thin, but it would have to suffice. I sprinted up the stairs to the restaurant and entered just as Marius came from the kitchen with a plate of salmon.
âThere you are!â Marius exclaimed âTake this and take it to table 14 quickly boy. It is for a Dr Calloway.â
After Marius took over form Mr Tuner he had made it a priority of maintaining his policy of making the customer feel at home and at ease. That meant knowing their name, smiling at them and making sure there every need was taken care of. As I approached table 14 I caught sight of the man sitting there. He was about 6â2 with dark hair, bright green eyes and dressed the most magnificent suit and jacket. Everything was going well and I was almost at the table when a child threw something on the floor and I did something I had never done before in the profession, I tripped. It seemed to happen in slow motion as the salmon flew like some sort of beautiful bird despite its fishy qualities out of my hands and crashed onto the floor. I soon followed and my face embraced the floor with a slight crunch. Hearing the commotion Marius came out and when he saw me sprawled on the floor he went red in the face.
âWhat on Earth are you doing, you fool?â he roared âGet up now and explain yourself!â
âI was walking to table 14 like you asked sir and the child over thereâ I replied, gesturing to the rather smug looking brat âthrew something on the floor that tripped me upâ
âHow dare you blame a customer for you own foolish clumsiness? You have brought not only shame to the restaurant but shame to yourself as well! You can expect a severe punishment for this.â
Suddenly Marius was interrupted by a calm voice with a wrinkle of concern.
âThat will not be necessary, I think the young man has learnt his lesson from that fall aloneâ interjected the voice.
I looked up to see that my savior was none over than the Dr. Calloway, that man from table 14, standing over me with a look of intrigue on his face.
âNow if you will kindly fetch me another salmon I would be most gratefulâ Dr. Calloway paused briefly and looked down at man âOne for this young gentleman as well I think, I wish to have a talk with him. If it is not too much trouble of course?â He inquired.
âCertainlyâ¦â¦whatever you think best sir.â Replied Marius with a slightly confused look on his face.
He glanced at me briefly before striding back to the kitchens with restored professionalism. Calloway turned to me and offered his hand as an aid in returning to my feet, an offer I gratefully accepted.
âAre you alright?â He queried, concern disturbing his otherwise smooth brow.
âI think so sir, thank youâ I replied, rather taken aback at his concern
âAh delightful, well young sir it is very pleasant to meet you. I donât believe we have formally met, I am Cabell Calloway and you are?â
âBarker sir, Daniel Barkerâ I replied with a certain shyness
âWell Mr. Daniel Barker, I am sure your parents are very proud of someone as young as yourself working in a place like thisâ He remarked smiling and gesturing to the walls
âThey are no longer with us sir, it is just my brother and myself now.â
I am so sorry to hear that Daniel, well listen Iâ¦â He was suddenly interrupted by the announcement that the ball would be starting in the Gold room. âAh, that means I must cut this short I am afraid; I have a very important appointment. This little chat was delightful and I hope you find happiness.â
Then he spun around on his heels and left for the main stairs and Marius said I could eat his salmon as well if I wish but after work. Gradually people flowed the Gold room and I was let go of my duties for the nigh as the restaurant closed. On my walk home as I took the short cut down an alleyway I heard a sort of scratching.
I stopped and glanced over my shoulder. There was nothing but the snow and a few bits of trash that had been left out by the owners of the buildings that made up this concrete constricting funnel that I was currently situated in. I turned again and hasten on my journey, keen to get home and see my brother. Suddenly as if a ghost had suddenly materialized I heard a hoarse voice behind me.
âYour brother owes Baxter quite a bit of money in back payments and we are here to collect, so you better pay upâ The voice said as I turned to see a leather jacket clad thuggish looking man flanked by two other hoodlums.
âI donât know what you are talking about, but I have no money to giveâ I replied, taking care when choosing my words.
âIn that caseâ retorted the man with a grin on his face âWe can have our fun with you boy!â
He drew out a blade whilst one of his goons laughed. Then I saw movement from behind them and a familiar voice called out in defiance.
âI donât that would be wise gentleman, now how about we all forget about this little altercation we are currently engaged in and then I promise that no harm will come to you.â
The other goon drew out a gun and their apparent leader rounded on him with a sudden glint in his eye.
Ah so we now have a toff coming to this little shits aid, well your coat will fetch a good price.â He laughed âIt will be my pleasure to take it, after we extend our hospitality to you of courseâ
âOh very well.â Merely replied my apparent guardian
As quick as a jaguar pouncing on its prey I heard two muffled gun shots and saw the two goons fall before they even had time to react. The leather jacket wearer was then pushed into the light and, as if his arm was butter, the knife was twisted and the blade penetrated his throat. As he fell clutching his blood spewing throat he revealed his attackerâ¦â¦â¦it was Cabell Calloway.






© Copyright 2015 Victor Creed (thaffertyhay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2069718-The-Shard-Working-Title