*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2070169-Going-Negative
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Political · #2070169
All politics are local
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge (use the words: champagne, party, kiss)


Congressman Jim Boyd wasn’t seeing the big picture. As campaign director, Winston had to bring it into focus. “Sir, we’re eight points down to Walker with ten days until the primary.” Not for the first time Winston looked nervously around the bar. Was that Marshall from the Herald? He lowered his voice. “If we don’t do something-“

“Buy more ads!” Bellowed Boyd, draining the remains of his scotch.

Still not getting it, Winston thought. “Sir, you have champagne tastes and a beer budget war chest. The party’s not kicking in any more funds, either.”

That sobered the Congressman up. “The party can kiss my tuckus. Hey,” Boyd brightened. “Do we still have that picture of my opponent lip-locking the President?” He motioned for the shirtless waiter to bring another drink.

Winston knew where this was going. “Mister Congressman, that’s a photoshop, and a bad one at that. Plus, Walker isn’t gay. Neither is the President.” That was Marshall, Winston realized. What was he doing here? Winston whispered, “I really think we should get-“

“Son, this is Kansas. Folks see a fella walking a poodle they assume he’s a ‘confirmed bachelor.’ That photo ain’t gonna play down on the farm. Leak it.” Boyd’s drink arrived simultaneously with his latest “nephew,” this one even younger than the last.

“Ah there’s my boy!” Boyd welcomed. The young man plopped himself onto the Congressman’s lap and kissed him passionately.

“Evening, Mr Congressman!” announced Marshall as his phone’s camera flashed. Winston bolted from his seat.

“If you print that-“ he threatened before the reporter cut him off.

“Hadn’t you heard? Working for Walker these days,” assured Marshall, scurrying away. “Good man. Good family man.”

Oblivious, Boyd attended to his new friend. Winston slumped back into his seat and wondered if Walker needed more staff.

Word Count: 300
© Copyright 2015 Rex Kramer (rexkramer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2070169-Going-Negative