*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074573-Heart-Love
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2074573
A story of heart-felt love.
Heart Love

by Jael Wright


Stephen hurriedly sped along the narrow, cobble-stoned streets. He had spent a long, exhausting day at work and buying the roses for Elaine had simply slipped his mind. He remembered seeing a quaint little floral shop earlier in the week over on Grace Street and now he hoped to drop in and pick up some roses for Elaine before the store closed. He and Elaine met at work, fell in love and had been engaged now for almost four months. A deep wave of emotion swept over him as he pictured how her brown eyes always sparkled each time they met and how his palms still grew sweaty whenever they held hands.
He parked his little, blue Volvo alongside the street and approached the small floral shop. An old, rustic sign with the words "Bouquets from the Heart" hang over the doorway. He entered the dimly-lit shop and the florist, a petite, little, old white-haired lady came quickly from the back, wiping her hands on her apron. "How may I help you?" She asked, smiling sweetly. "Well, tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I'd like to buy a dozen, red roses for my fiancé." said Stephen, looking around the small store. Flowers of every hue, species and size stood in glass vases on the counter-tops and the floor. "I'm sorry'. said the florist sadly. "I just sold my last red roses about fifteen minutes ago. All I have left are these yellow roses."
Stephen gave a disappointed glance at the slightly withered yellow roses in a vase. Yellow roses were what you gave to someone to show friendship, weren't they? The love Stephen felt in his heart for Elaine had certainly surpassed the point of mere friendship. "Thanks, anyway," he said and turned to leave the store. "Wait, said the florist, as she quickly pulled the yellow roses from their vase. 'These roses are very, very, special, she said as she placed the whole bundle against Stephen's chest." I want you to hold these for just a minute near your heart and think about the all the love you feel for Elaine." She left Stephan holding the faded roses near his heart and went quickly and found a long box and some beautiful ribbon. "Just write down Elaine's name and address on this slip of paper and I will make sure they are delivered to her on time for Valentine's Day", she said. Stephen left the florist shop a little puzzled, but decided he would trust the nice, old lady who seemed so eager to help.
The next evening after work, Stephen drove over to Elaine's apartment with a "just-in-case" box of expensive Belgian chocolates, He rang the doorbell and waited nervously as he heard her footsteps approaching. She opened the door and looked at Stephen with big tears in her eyes, "Oh, Stephen", she said wrapping her arms tight around him. "They are simply the most beautiful roses I have ever seen." Stephen followed her into the living room thinking there had to be some huge mistake about the flowers. But, there lying on the living room table was the box and ribbon from the floral shop. Inside were a dozen of the most beautiful, lush, red roses imaginable, their petals all dipped in gold.
© Copyright 2016 Jael Wright (vica2015 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2074573-Heart-Love