*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075086-Checkmate
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2075086
A magical artifact is stolen, Gabriel must blackmail a vampire to find who has it.
The wind whipped around me as I watched a small paper cup took flight over Jax as he knelt motionless off the twenty story office building. He appeared relaxed glaring through the high-powered binoculars but ignoring me, his focus centered on a particular room in the building across from us.

"Can't we just get along?" I asked, waving my arms and eyeing the edge of the rooftop.

The man tensed up and clenched his grip on the optical device. He was tall and lanky, dressed in all black which included a long leather coat. You wouldn’t know he was an elf unless the wind didn’t blow the white hair off his pointed ears.

“You know, Just because we help each other out every once in a while doesn’t mean I like you”. He replied not bothering to turn toward me. “I happen to be collecting details for my next assignment.”

I grimaced, The guy was a professional thief, he'd lift money and jewels but his specialty was magical objects. Maybe it was an elf thing but he loved to get his hands on enchanted stuff. “Call it what it is Jax, you’re going to steal something that’s worth a lot of money and sell it to somebody that doesn’t need to have it,” I said.

For the first time he put down the binoculars looked up in the sky and gave a big sigh. "Occasionally humans will speak wisdom, you have a saying "business is business".

Now to answer your first question," he said with grace as if the wind elevated him up and directed his attention towards me, "no Gabriel we can't get along!" He thrust up one finger. “I can't tell you where the artifact is for one, I'm a professional and I will not disclose any information or personal affairs of my clients to anybody, it's just bad business! For two," sticking up another finger," I happen to like to breathe. If things start leaking out, not only my business will die but so will I.”

“You don’t know what you’ve done,” I said. “Selling it to Quint is like giving a serial killer a machine gun knowing he’s going to the mall the next day. That thing that you stole has the power to blow a hole in the fabric of this reality. He wants some thing to come through that hole and that thing ain’t going to be pretty.”

Jax crossed his arms and glared "Look, I legitimately stole that merchandise and sold it fairly to my client. I have received a handsome compensation for it, what he does with it is not my concern. You’re getting excited about something you don’t even know is going to happen, so calm down."

"You know who and what I am," returning his glare. "It's bad enough I'm a Bloodkeeper, every wizard and enchanter wants my blood. I’m responsible for my bloodline Jax. I don’t wanna be but I am, what am I supposed to do? “

“What can you do Gabriel?” He replied sneering. “You are the Bloodkeeper in your line. You're supposed to manipulate vibrations but the only thing I seen you do is shake and break your own chair while sitting in it. You couldn’t even save your friend from jumping off a bridge.”

I lowered my voice "He's got one of my people Jax.” I said “You know what’s that like, being used because of what you are. Quint’s going to use that artifact as a match to spark a fire and ignite her blood like a powder keg. Their’s not much time left, the full moon will be out tomorrow night, that's when he'll do the spell.”

Jax broke the staring contest by lowering his gaze. I expected another insult but he just turned and walked to a backpack leaning against an industrial air conditioning unit. Untying a couple of straps, he began to secure the binoculars in a pocket.

“That’s it?” Throwing up my arms, “you're done? You really don’t care? What if it was Indigo, would you care if it was her?”

He froze in place and time it seemed, the frigid cold wind of the winter morning was symmetry between us. We weren’t exactly good friends but we owed each other and accepted one another for what we were. I also knew how to push his buttons. Indigo is the only thing that keeps him sane and alive in this world after they were thrown through the veil.

Jax slammed the backpack down and pointed a finger towards me."Don’t question my loyalty and love to my woman Solace.” His voice was hard. “Your treading on thin ice as it is. As a Bloodkeeper, you're pathetic, as a human with Nephilim blood, barely tolerable. As a warrior, well you're just a wuss. Just don't have it in you."

I winced. Wow, checkmate. “Yeah, tell me something I don’t know.” He knew how to push my buttons too. “I gotta try and stop him Jax, they’re my line -- my family.”

“I don't know how you found out it was Quint, I don't even know how you found me up here but this conversation is ending. Jax picked up the backpack and slung it over his shoulder. He walked to the door leading down and grabbed the handle and paused.

Jax sighed and looked down. “Quint doesn’t stick around very long at one place, but if you’re determined to kill yourself I’ll give you a name who knows everything going on in the underworld. Won’t be easy, It’ll be dangerous.”

“I don't care,“ I said, walking towards him.

He yanked the door halfway open, “Johann Luther,” Jax said.

I Halted at mid-step, “Okay now I care. Jax, he's a 300-year-old vampire. Holy crap, he’s got slaves that’ll die for him around him day and night.”

“Yes and he's the one that can tell you where to find Quint. Farewell Gabriel Solace, may your gods shine upon you.”

Jax vanished through the door and was gone. I was paralyzed in a moment of silence contemplating my dilemma. Finally, the question that flamed in my mind spewed to the open bitter cityscape, “How am I suppose to get him to tell me?“

I started walking the streets to clear my head and figure out a plan, which isn’t exactly my strength. I felt the pressure inside of me building as the city was starting to wake up, people were passing me by and rushing to their destinations trying their best to ignore me shuffling along. All I wanted was to find a warm cozy place alone and drink until unconsciousness, but that was my old life. Now it’s all changed, I’m expected to care for a group of people I don’t really know. Now my obligation is to find Luther and then convince him to tell me the location of the artifact and Quint.

I called a couple of people I knew in the supernatural world for the whereabouts of Luther and most of them didn’t really want to talk about him. The one’s that did tell me to stay away as far as I could. I knew a few things about Luther, he was the enforcer of their coven which happens to be the biggest and most successful drug dealers in the city. Forty years ago a friend actually saw him and lived, his big brother didn't. He was unfortunate enough to steal a little silver box from him. I also came up empty, nobody knew where he was hanging out.

My next stop for info was to visit some of my old haunts when I was homeless and lived in alleyways. The destitute knew the supernatural up close. Sometimes a young wizard wants to try a new spell or bloodlust is too much for a vamp and couldn’t resist hunting for prey instead of feeding on an underling so they go for the weak and the abandoned. I got zip, they didn’t know anything. The poor souls were more into hiding from them than finding out where Luther was.

By the end of the afternoon, I finally wound up at a little dinner called Roxie's where I heard certain humans go to. The one’s that did the leg work for the vamps in daylight sometimes visit the place. It was a small yuppie kinda deal where they served large coffees with fancy names and bigger prices. I sat down at the table in the corner so I could view the place. I ordered a sandwich and simple coffee without looking at the menu, the young waitress must’ve taken a couple of cups herself cause she was way too perky.

The few that gathered there were mostly young professional types taking a break from the corporate ladder. They looked comfortable in their suits discussing business and office romances which mean I didn’t see the slaves I was seeking. The one’s interested me wore nice suits but didn’t fit them well. More often than not they were always watching over their shoulders in paranoia and very jittery. They’d be pale and malnourished in appearance from the vampires using them as blood bags when they woke from their morning to dusk sleep.

“It’s not going to help you.” A refined voice said. “You are far too nervous as it is, your hands are shaking, drinking a stimulant will just make it worse.”

I looked over in the corner of my eye and noticed an elderly woman with very stiff features seated next to me. She carried an immaculate posture and a tight ball of grayish hair pinned to the top of her head. She was dressed like a school teacher straight out of the Victorian era.

Normally, when a person just appears out of thin air and talks to you, you jump. I, on the other hand, let out a deep sigh. I really needed to talk to her, but didn’t want to. I’m the only one who can see her because she isn’t real. She’s not a figment of my imagination, but a shadow or a piece of consciousness that had been fused in my mind of a person that wasn’t alive anymore. She was permanently in my head and I didn’t like it.

Looking down at my unsteady hands confirmed she was right, as usual. “I’m really not in the mood for your attitude Izzy,” I said

"My attitude has nothing to do with logic," she said placing her small purse on the table. And how many times must I remind you, Gabriel, my proper name is pronounced Isabella, I fully expect you to use it.”

I turned to face her, my eyes bore straight into hers, "I don't care about your logic or your name, you’re the one that burned yourself into my head, I'll call you whatever I want!" I said almost snarling.

"Are... are you okay?" I whipped my head up to see the waitress wide eyed and mouth open holding my coffee in one hand and the sandwich in the other. She squinted her eyes and scanned the empty area my attention had been then back with a questioning look.

"I'm not crazy — I'm an actor, just practicing my lines," I said sounding as believable as I could.

She rolled her eyes, "Oh, one of those." She replied. She placed my order in front of me, "I had a boyfriend like that once, said he was a method actor, he talked to everything." She gave me the check with a concerned look. “Just don’t get too loud okay, I don’t need you spookin’ our costumers.”

I just smiled back and took a sip of my coffee. She gave a little smile and headed off towards a couple that just walked in. Not looking back to Izzy, "If you want me calm, stop criticizing and help me find a way to get Luther to talk to me."

"For the record, it wasn't I that disrupted the spell of transference but I will hold my criticism for the time being. " She said. "I do however have a solution to our problem, although it will take a bit of courage and finesse to carry it out, both of which you struggle with."

"Thought you were holding your criticisms." I said

Izzy opened her purse and took out a quill and notepad. "I am" she affirmed. "What I said was fact, not critique." After viewing her notebook for a moment, she continued. "Blackmail is the most logical conclusion. Johann Luther has no love for Quint but his coven does business with him occasionally. In order for him to take you seriously, you must take something valuable from him as leverage."

I sat motionless in my chair processing what I had just been told, and the thought of 'I'm going to die.' finally came to the surface. "Are you really insane. Even if I considered something crazy like that what could I even blackmail him with, I got nothin’.”

Isabella scratched something on the pad, tore the paper free and placed it in front of me. “You will possess the item soon enough, “she said,” at this time however you need to precisely copy this note and give it to Johann Luther’s servant so he can present it to him when he awakes. Now hurry, he’s coming in the door and then we must meet someone.”
My mind was reeling to catch up, I viewed the door and watched a thin man in an expensive gray suit stroll in. His shoulder length hair was neatly tied back in a ponytail which showed off the brand name sunglasses. He didn't bother taking them off to scan the place then promptly headed for the carryout counter.

I pulled out a scratch pad and pen of my own and started scribbling a copy of the message. "Why am I doing this, and why am I meeting him in this place?" , pointing at Izzy's note.

"You will have your answers in due time, Gabriel, "She said", you must trust me in these instructions if you want to save lives and to do your duty. Please hurry, speed is the utmost importance. "

The ponytail guy had just paid for a sack of food and caffeine, picked up the items with both hands when I reached him and stood directly in his path. He stiffened and I could see him trying to decide the next course of action. "What?" he said and glanced around to check if I was alone.

I slowly raised my hand until it was in front of his face to view the folded piece of paper. "I need you to give this important message to Luther," I said. He watched me place the note in the cardboard coffee tray he was holding.

"What makes you think I know Luther and more important care about you." His voice rough.

I leaned in a little, "Don't insult my intelligence, I know you serve your master, he won't like it if he doesn't get this. Of course, if you don't care about having your skin ripped from your body just ignore it. He paused for a moment, his jaw tighten then nodded. I stepped back out of his path, "Thanks" I said. I watched him go out the door glancing back to look at me before heading down the street.

Izzy’s familiar voice in my head was calm and clear. "Go to the lavatory"

"Izzy are you serious, you're actually telling me when to use the john now?"

"Gabriel please contain yourself, you have an entirely different purpose ahead of you."

I paid my bill and grudgingly walked towards the restrooms not bothering to tell her I actually needed to go. "And why are we doing this? I asked.

"Because we will be better prepared after we converse with a little colleague.”

“Little colleague?” I halted. "Who are we going … Oh no, you’re not actually going to ask ‘him’ to do anything for us, Izzy he’s evil.”

“He is not evil per say, more neutrality in nature. But whatever your perception of him we are in need of his services. Do and say exactly what I tell you and everything will be fine. Now come we must be done by tonight.”

I found the men's room, stepped through the door and was thankful no one was using the facilities. I even looked for feet under the two stalls. The room was rather small but it suited our requirements. I found an orange cone against the wall and placed it outside the door and then locked it.

I stooped down and drew a crude circle with a chalk stick made of ingredients which included salt, garlic and whatever else the witch mixed in it when I bought it from her. Pulling out a small pen knife I mumbled a small spell of protection and held out my hand to the center of the circle. I pricked my finger and let a small drop of my blood land on the tile. Gathering my will and courage took a little doing but when I thought I was reading for the final step I looked around for Izzy and saw her next to the light switch. “What?”

“You know very well what,” She said. “He is not fond of light so if we want him here, the lights must be off. By the way, use what I’ve taught you to calm yourself, he smells fear and he likes it.”

I marched over mumbling “Why do I hate everything I have to do?” After turning off the lights and taking a couple of steps toward the circle, I forced my will into it and called forth his name. “Ne’Farus “

There wasn’t any fireworks or any sign of movement for that matter and for a moment of silence I thought I’ve done something wrong. But no, I’m not that lucky, I heard the sound that I can only describe as a cat throwing up a hairball while hissing. That was his laugh. He didn’t make a sound in the darkness but I felt his presence coming closer to me. I tried calming my heart as he started sniffing my shoes, which I heard more than felt, and working upward. All that was rational told me to scream bloody murder and run but I stood still. Strangely he didn’t have a smell, I couldn’t track him but I knew or felt he wasn’t in front of me anymore. My body trembled and forced a look to the left and saw blackness, then turned right and met his glowing green orbs. They were inches from my face and watched the cat-like pupils widen then dilate.

Water. Water was running down my face. Sound. The sound of banging on wood. “Hey, Hey man you done yet?” The voice was coming from outside the door. Hey, dude, when ya gotta go ya gotta go, hurry up.”

I looked up and saw myself in the mirror and no I didn’t look so good. My head was sopping wet from dousing myself with water which I have no memory of doing. Actually, I didn’t recall much of anything at the moment but I did distinctly hear a voice in my head say “It’s time to leave .”

I briefly looked around and noticed the lights were on and the circle I made was nothing but smudges. I struggled to the door, unlocked and opened to meet a very unhappy face.

The man backed up when he saw me and didn’t say another word. I returned the favor and walked out as briskly as I could. I struggled out of the shop and down the street trying to compose myself as I was walking. People stared at me while I tried to look normal with water soaked hair and shirt in the dead of winter. At least, the brisk air made me alert more quickly.

"What happened to me?" I asked to myself.

As if on cue Izzy was walking beside me with her notepad in hand and checked off something with the quill. “Another one done, we should be well prepared by early this evening.”

“I don’t mean to interrupt your wonderful planning,” putting my hands in my jacket pockets, “but could you tell me what just happened?”

“I had to take over Gabriel, you were not in control of yourself and we didn’t have much time.” She said

“I was in control but it wasn’t fun time, I don’t care how good he is, every time we meet he sniffs me and acts like I’m his next meal. And by the way, I’m supposed to have the decision when you can take over. “

“Gabriel you did not control your fear, you were about to involuntary urinate upon yourself and that would be embarrassing for any Bloodkeeper. We must practice control before tonight's meeting. It’s been arranged, Ne’farus will acquire the object of blackmail and also cause a distraction so that you will escape tonight's danger afterward.

"I'm too tired and cold to argue with you, I need some time to sort things out." I said

"Agreed, " She put the notebook back in her purse. "You will freshen up, practice your calming techniques and prepare for the confrontation."

I found the car and drove home in silence, took a very hot shower and tried to focus on future events. I ate something light then meditated to control my mind and body. Izzy taught me many things and I was getting pretty good at some but there was a long way to go to become anything like she was, which she often reminded me of.

When I finally felt composed and rejuvenated it was time to leave for the showdown. I gathered my things together walking towards the door when the realization sank in, “Izzy I don’t have the thing”.

“And what thing are you referring to?” She said appearing in front of me.

“The thing I’m supposed to give Luther so I won’t die thing.”

“Gabriel all you have to do is check your pocket of your jacket.” She focused her eyes on my right side.

I shoved my hand into my jacket and pulled out a small silver box. “What’s this and when did I get it?”

“Ne’farus placed it there when you were in deep meditation and whatever it is must be valuable to Luther or he wouldn’t have taken it. Now please, we must be on our way.”

I viewed the box and noticed the hinged lid. “What could be so important to him?” Curiosity killed the cat and I was hoping it wouldn’t kill me but I had to know. I slowly opened the small container and stared at the contents.

“Really … that’s it?”

Isabella walked to the door. “You can admire it some other time Gabriel, we positively need to head to our destination.”

I placed the object back in my pocket and took a deep breath. “Let’s go.”

I ended up at a specialized nightclub for the Shadows of the city, “Le Fay’s”. The entrance was located in an alley on the side of a historical building dating back in early America. A normal human couldn’t even see the door, neither a shadow unless one had sufficient talent and discipline of the arts. My phone displayed 10:32 pm when I finally settled in a cushioned but firm chair.

There was one more thing I had to do before Luther came which didn't thrill me, that was to call Selene. She’s the mother hen of the line. Always checking in on our people, and me, to see if everything is okay. She’s the only one that stuck by me when everyone thought, including me, I went insane. There are times when I think she changed her mind.

"So let me get this straight Gabe," she said confirming, "you're going to meet a vampire in the dead of night at a bar and give him something back that you stole. Not just any olé bloodsucker but one that's been around for 300 years and is the second in command in the most powerful coven in Morgan City? "

"Well, I wasn’t the one that actually took it, besides I'm not going to give it to him unless he tells me what I wanna know" I replied.

Her voice got louder, "OK, so you didn't just stole from him, but you're going to extort him too?"

I squirmed in my seat, "You're making me sound devious."

"I'm making you sound dead you idiot! Gabe, don't do this." If she was trying to control her emotions in her words it wasn't working.

“Trust me, Selene, I got this. He’ll give me the info and I’ll give him what he wants and then we’ll just walk away, simple. I just need for you to try and find me if I don’t show up tomorrow.”

She exhaled heavily. "I think I'm going to be sick. Gabe, please listen to me, this is not a game! You can't just move a piece and yell checkmate. You haven't developed your powers yet. Just because you can do some tricks doesn't mean you can handle him. You can't go in cocky like that!"

"That's what I like about you Selene, you've always had so much faith in me. But hey listen I gotta go I think I see him now, I'll keep in touch." I turned off the phone and put it in my pocket. I could almost hear her scream from miles away. I really didn't see him but the conversation needed to end, it was getting too emotional.

Sometimes there are gatherings, well actually parties, that pop up in different locals like deserted buildings or warehouses in the city called cantina’s where mild talented shadows go to show off their stuff and do business. There's always a look out for raw power that can be used to take advantage of and to get paid for it. They can get a little rowdy and rough but they only last a few hours then disperse. This place wasn't like that, it was calm and quiet at least on this level.


The lighting was soft and dark as if people didn't want to be seen or recognized. There were certain oddities of the place that made it curious. For instance, I watched people go in elevator's located in the back but they only went down but there's no parking garage in this building. How far down does this place descend? But by far the most interesting was that there were several pillars scattered around the room that looked liked trees. Not smooth rotund columns but bark and all and they were petrified. Engraved in the bark were runes and odd looking symbols.

"I wonder what's that all about?" I asked to no one in particular.

Her voice answered me. "Well it seems rather obvious doesn't it?"

I didn't bother to turn my head, I knew full well it was Izzy. “I don’t think I was specifically talking to you,” I replied.

“Yes you were but as usual, you are not focused enough to, as you like to say, get it,” She responded back.

“Well, it’s not obvious to me.” Looking at my drink then a quick glance at her, “ I’m not an interior decorator and it just doesn't appeal to me”

“It is not supposed to appeal to you." She sipped from a teacup that wasn’t there a second ago. "If you use your brain once in a while you could probably deduce their function. It is the reason why we chose this particular establishment. ”

Eyeing her. "You're the one that chose this bar because it has protection spells in place". I took a sip from my glass. "So you're sure it'll won't kill me?"

"You will have to be aware of your emotions and your Intent," She answered, "This particular place has been a neutral meeting ground for our kind for over 200 years. Because of our higher passions and abilities when we disagree on a subject we tend to eliminate each other. The owner created the spells to enforce neutrality and civility."

"So if I try to hammer a stake in his heart the spell will kill me?" I asked

Her eyes focused on mine. "Quite correct so please keep your temper in check, I don't relish dying a second time. "

I drained my drink which didn't have nearly enough alcohol as I needed. "You're in my head so you probably already know, I don't think I can do this." Concentrating on my empty glass, "I mean everybody thinks I'm a loser and a wuss including you. I'm going against a vampire that can have me killed if he didn't want the pleasure himself. who am I?"

"You are Gabriel Solace, a Bloodkeeper whether you like it or not. Her posture straight and stiffened. You have it in you but you must decide within which path to take. Are you willing to do what is necessary for the good of all and perhaps make sacrifices of yourself?"

The numbness in my head kept me from thinking. "I'm not sure," I said.

Izzy placed her teacup on the table. "Decide quickly, I do believe our appointment has arrived. "

The figure walked towards me was an expression of arrogance, the very air around him seem to submit to his whim. The patron's turned their heads his way like magnets and he seemed accustomed to it. He looked to be in his late forties if you didn't know better and wore an expensive stylish custom made three piece suit. The man was without an entourage, alone with confidence and radiating a presence that is rare, like nobility.


"Good evening Mr. Solace, I commend your choice of the place of meeting, it shows a measure of wisdom at least," He said.


I stood to face him and hoped it was the right thing to do. “Thank you, Mr. Luther, it seemed the safest place to talk considering the situation.” I contemplated putting my hand out for a handshake but thought it would feel awkward if he didn't take it.


“May I offer you a drink.” I asked


“No thank you," he replied and took a slight bow. "I would rather get to the point of why we are here.”


“Very Good,” I said. Which was fine by me, I wanted to sit and hide my shaking knees.


We both seated ourselves across from each other at the table and basically sized one another up.


After a moment of silence, “Forgive me for not inviting you in person but it is hard to see you face to face, you’re a busy man.” I said.


Luther looked at me with eyes that bore right through me. “You did not face me because you are afraid of me as well you should be. My underling gave me the note but I must admit I have questions.”


“Of course” I replied.


Luther folded his hands and placed them on the table. “How were you able to acquire the object that was stolen from me?”


I avoided his eyes. “Let's just say I found it.”


“What a ridiculous statement Mr. Solace. I know of you and I also know that you have not the means, the talent nor the resolve to steal from me. How did you do it?”


“You know me?” I tried not to sound unnerved.


“It is my duty to know what goes on in this city and yes I know you but maybe I should rephrase the question. "Why?”


“I need some information to the whereabouts of Quint Firehorse. He has an artifact that he’ll use that’ll cause a lot of harm. I want to stop him and save lives.” I tried to study his stone cold face but it was useless. “If he succeeds it might cause the destruction of my line.”


“So you thought it would be a grand idea to insult me in this manner?”


“I just wanted your attention, I don't think you would've even looked at me, much less answer my question. I'm not in your league.” I said.


“No, you are not!” Luther's eyes widened and his hands tightened, he showed a reaction for the first time. “You did a very foolish thing.”


“Look, I don't have much time" I started to get a little heated myself. "Quint is going to use that artifact in a real bad way and he's gonna kill a lot of people. You're the guy who knows things and I know you don't care, but I need to stop this nut job and I'll do whatever it takes!”


Luther's eyes squinted. “Even if it takes your life?”


In a slightly shaky voice I replied, “Well, I'm trying to avoid that as long as possible.”


His eyes didn't move but he leaned closer to me. “May I look at what you have stolen from me?”


I hesitated for a second but then took an object from my jacket pocket and placed it on the table. The small box was made of silver. I couldn’t tell it’s age but it looked tarnished and worn. A very simple design and engraved on top of the lid, an elegant looking ' L '. I took my eyes off of Luther for an instant to notice the runes of a nearby tree starting to glow faintly. I then slowly opened the box and as I did Luther’s eyes focused on the contents and the runes became a little brighter. His right hand twitched slightly and my immediate reaction made me close the lid and draw the box back to me covering it with my hands.


He glared at me. “ You senseless little animal, you actually surmise you can toy with me,” he said.


My mind wanted to run but my body was paralyzed. I felt his will push against mine and knew if he wanted he could go through my defenses like tissue paper, but something deep inside of me held my ground and I pushed a little back. “Just tell me where Quint is and I’ll give it back to you Luther.”


His stone face broke into a sinister scowl and his eyes turned totally black. I looked at the runes as they changed to a bright orange and Luther seemed to notice my glance. He turned to see the effects of the runes and immediately relaxed his posture. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath which seemed to release his tension. The change was quick as his face returned back cold and disciplined. He opened his eyes and once again the deep blue eyes bore through me instead of the blackness.


Luther sat very still and rigid, “You have done well, you wish that I would become overpowered by my emotions so that the spells would cause my destruction. Maybe I underestimated you. I will agree to your terms,” He said.


The surprise wasn’t hidden on my face. “You will?”


“It is admirable that you wish to save your bloodline and sacrifice yourself so I will give you the location.”


My mind was racing to catch up. “Great — what — wait …”


“Quint Firehouse will be at the Butcher Cemetery tomorrow night, at what time I do not know,” Luther said.


“OK but wait, what about this sacrifice?” I frantically asked.


Luther straightened and adjusted his coat. “I will give you time to relay this information so that your goal may be fulfilled and then I will come to devour you.”


It took me a second to process just what kind of deal I made. “You're kidding?”


Luther frowned at me “Do you really think I jest?”


“You... you don't have to do that, can't we just get along?” I asked.


“Says the mouse blackmailing the tiger.” Said Luther. “There is a line that can't be crossed, not without consequences. You crossed that line.”


“Crossed the line!” My knuckles became white holding the box. “You're talkin’ crossin’ the line with me?“


“Ya know I did a little research on you to Luther. Back in the 1700’s your first name wasn’t Johann, it was Amall. You lived in Germany and had a title like Duke or Barron. You made your fortune by forcing families to sell their land to you really cheap and if they didn’t do it you’d burn the place down while everybody was in it.”


“You were a monster before you even became one.” I sneered.


“Mr. Solace, you just keep astounding me. How did you come across this?”


“There’s a lot of things you won’t ever get to know about me, Luther. Like I know it was you who killed my friend at the bridge.”


“Ah -- yes him. I handled him like I do all trash, I threw it away. He tried to exact revenge on me and failed miserably.” He said.


“Yeah, I know, you killed his brother over twenty years ago!” My voice was rising and I felt my blood heating up.


“Yes! And he stole the very thing you did Solace. And I punished him by eating his entrails in front of him and ripped his throat open and drank his blood dry. The same punishment I intend to do to you.”


I jumped up and threw the silver box at him and he caught it with his right hand effortlessly.


“We looked into each other’s eyes for a moment. I finally breathed and with no emotion said “Thanks for the info and I look forward to our next meeting.”

Johann Luther smiled stood up and walked away towards the stairs that lead to the exit. I slumped back down in my seat and stared into space.

“Very good Gabriel that went quite well, he’s going to rip your throat out.”

I looked over and saw Isabella calmly reading a book not even to bother to glimpse at me. “Oh yeah, it went great, not only do I have Quint wantin’ to fry my bones but now I have Luther wantin’ to eat my entrails. It’s all just a love fest.”

“Do you think it would be wise to call Selene and tell her the location of Quint and the artifact?” Still focused on her book.

“Yeah I guess it would but give me a minute will ya, I need to get the shakes off.” Checking my empty glass one more time, “I need another drink.”

A cute waitress with all smiles walked up to the table. “Do you need that refreshed sir?”

“Yes, I sure would, thanks,” I replied while readjusting my chair trying to hide my trembling body.

She looked at the empty seat to the side of me. “Would you like to order another drink?” She asked.

I froze, “What? You see her?”

“No sir, I don’t see anyone but you were having a conversation directed at that spot,” She said.

I couldn’t really tell if she was being sarcastic or what. “I’m not crazy.”

“No sir I wasn’t implying that you were. You aren’t the first to have invisible friends.”

“Oh -- well no she doesn’t drink,” I replied.

“Alright then, still smiling I’ll refresh your drink.” She walked away as if everything was normal.

As I was watching her leave, “Who owns this place?”

Before Isabella could answer a loud thunder stopped everyone in their tracks, even the tables shook. We looked around and confirmed it wasn’t in the building but the source came from outside. A moment later the entrance door flew open and a waitress rushed in stumbling.

“Someone call 911, there been a terrible wreck!” The waitress yelled.

One of the patrons yelled back “What happened?”

“A fuel truck just rammed into Johann Luther’s limo! It was like a freakin’ bomb, there’s fire everywhere!”

You could tell which people in the place knew who Luther was, which was just about everyone, by their faces. The one’s who knew of him had a blank expression and some had their mouth’s open in disbelief. A couple of customers ran out with the waitress to see more of the tragedy.

Turning a page in her book, “Well that was an impressive distraction.”

“Impressive! That was a distraction? Holy crap, Ne’Farus was supposed to do something simple so I could get out here, not cause World War Three.” I tried to drink from an empty glass. “You think he’s still alive?”

“I think he is going to be royally as you would say -- ticked off.” Izzy replied

“At me?” Squirming in my seat.

“We shall see. I’m sure he realized by now that the contents of the box are missing and the truck was not an accident.” She placed a red string between the pages and slid her book in a small bag she had in her lap. As she folded her hands on top the bag and looked straight ahead, I noticed more people running about.

“This is the time for strength Gabriel Solace,” she said and became very still.

As a couple of people were heading up the stairs the door jumped off its hinges and crashed into the two men that were directly behind it. The chaotic tumble of wood and flesh ended at the bottom of the stairway and spilled onto the floor.

I couldn’t move if I wanted too. Numbness overcame my body and awareness that I’m fixed to the chair. My inner being became a state of resolve. I slowly placed my elbows on the table and intertwined my hands and like Isabella, I became very still.

What came down the stairs the patrons and employees alike will be burned in their memories for a very long time. It took a minute to realize the form was actually human. The black charred skin with parts still burning, the chunks of meat and it’s right appendage missing, and a piece of metal protruding from its chest threw you off. But it was walking, though with a limp, the right knee was at an odd angle and twisted.

The crowd parted in the same fashion that Moses parted the Red Sea. As the animated figure limped towards me I observed that most of its features were absent. All hair was gone, the face unrecognizable in burnt flesh, clothes hung or just stuck to the blackened skin.

I found myself saying, “I’ll give him this, the guy can take a hit.”

That’s when I seen his one good eye and he opened his misaligned mouth to show me his very sharp pointed teeth. There was no doubt, the thing coming towards me was Johann Luther.


I waited until he got a few feet from the table until I knew he could see my eyes, “Luther what happened, you don’t look so good.”

He stopped and staggered a little but never lost sight of me. The people had a chance to run and to get out of harm’s way, but they didn’t. They were afraid and yet, just as humans are, were willing to watch to see how this played out to the bitter end. A crowd was starting to form but in a safe distance away.

He didn’t seem to notice anything but me. His mouth started to move trying to make it work and a growl grew deep within his throat and came out a gravel sounding noise that sounded like:

I -- am -- going -- to -- eat -- you.

As much as I wanted to run away I didn’t move a muscle “The spirit is willing Luther but your flesh is weak. I don’t think you could kill a mouse at this point.” With as much contempt as I could muster.

His stance shifted into more of a crouch, his good hand closing to a fist and looked ready to pounce. I stayed still but couldn’t resist a quick look at the runes. They had changed to the color red, and wasn’t just glowing but looked as if were shaking and bulging as if something was trying to bust out.

I quickly turned my eyes back at Luther but it was to late, he saw my interest and viewed the runes himself. Luther did what I feared he would do, he closed his eye and straighten his back. I returned my gaze back to the symbols and found them returning to a safer color and not glowing.

The growling return also. “You can not beat me! I have been in more wars and battles than you can imagine. I have won over mighty warriors of mortals and immortals, you are less than nothing to me. I will kill you because I have time on my side.

Looking directly into his eye. “You may have time on your side Johann Luther but I have something you don’t and you’ll never get it back.” I slowly spread out my entwined hands exposing something between them. I held out a silver chain and in the middle was attached a locket. The same locket that was the content of the silver box. It was opened revealing a photograph. It was a small black and white faded picture of a beautiful woman.

The eye of Johann Luther focused upon his treasure and then turned his black eye upon me. I didn’t need to see his posture, didn’t need to see a facial expression which I couldn’t. All I needed to see was the power behind that look, the power of pure hatred. Then with everything in me and the best of my ability I did what I am famous for, I smirked. I gave a smirk that a demon born would be proud of, a smirk that if I gave a cop would automatically arrest me because he knew I broke the law.

Things started happening. Luther with a speed of a vampire, which I didn’t think possible in his condition, and death in his eye came at me. Before I could even blink his blacked hand was a foot away from my face -- and then stopped.

For a moment, I just stared at it wondering why the hand wasn’t around my throat. I looked at Luther with that same look of hate staring at me but not moving. I jumped back out of my seat and withdrew backward a few steps to see Luther frozen in place. His momentum alone should have at least had him crash into me but no -- he stood like a statue on one foot leaning in to tackle me.

I heard gasps and a couple of screams but the onlookers weren't looking at me and Luther but at the runes. It just wasn’t one tree but all of them. The runes were pulsating red and hundreds, thousands of tiny lights like lighting bugs were pouring out of them. They started to swarm together in spheres of illumination as if waiting for a signal. The storms of light hovering in the air with brightness enough to want sunglasses. The sign must have been given because the hoard came and came towards us.

I started to turn and run but a legion of radiance was heading straight for me. So I did what any sensible man would do -- I screamed and dove to the floor. The wave surged right over me and when I had enough courage to look up I saw Luther engulfed in brilliance.

There were more gasps and screams and everybody was mesmerized at the sight. The little lights were like an army of piranhas, you couldn’t tell if they were burning, eating or just taking pieces of Johann Luther back to the runes but you could see him just going away in waves. A swarm would fly off of Luther and head back into the trees and another swarm would take their place. Skin, muscle, organs and finally bones were devoured but not one drop of blood hit the floor. When he was finally no more all the lights returned to the runes with no evidence of entering or going and all became silent once more.

I got up when everything looked safe. Nobody said a word, the crowd just looked around in confusion thanking their gods that it was Luther instead of them and trying to deduce just what happened. First just a few and in a moment all of the people stared at me. I didn’t -- well more like I couldn’t say anything, I was totally drained of emotion and thought. I wobbled as I picked up my chair and sank in it at the same table I was a few minutes ago.

In a short time, I heard people talking and moving again. The employees were picking people up and shuffling them out the exit, at least, the ones that could. I looked up and saw a broad but short man with a beard and a balding head walking towards me with my drink that I ordered before I was sadly interrupted. I had seen him behind the bar so guessed he’s the bartender.

He placed the beverage in front of me and gave me a stern look. “I saw what you did”. He said.

I didn’t speak as I put both hands around my glass and took a sip.

“Son, I haven’t seen anything like that close to a hundred years. You provoked an age-old vampire to get himself killed by our protection spells so nobody could technically say you did it, that’s not easily done.”

I still didn’t speak but took a longer drink.

The bartender watched me a moment in silence and said “The drink is on the house, never liked that bloodsucker anyway, but don’t ever try it again. Stay away for awhile until things cool off.” With that said he walked away picking up debris laying on the floor.

I took another drink and felt a little better. I’m still alive — well for now anyways and I actually had the courage to stand up against something bigger than me and won.

“Pick it up Gabriel” I looked over and saw Isabella sitting once again with her hands folded on her lap.

“What?” I asked

“Please pick up the locket by your feet.” She replied

I bent over and saw the silver object, picked it up and held it in my hand. “Do you want it?”

She shook her head, “No I want you to have it. Johann Luther’s existence ended but we must honor his treasure. He wasn’t always a monster, he did feel as a human at one time. The emotion that is attached to an object can be very powerful magic to some and there are very strong emotions connected to that silver locket. It must be handled with care.”

“OK, I’ll keep it safe somewhere,” I said putting it in my pocket for now.

“Now Gabriel you need to make a call I believe.” She gazed around the room once then looked me straight in the eye and smiled. The smile vanished as she did but it appeared again on my face.

I took the phone out of my pocket and punched in Selene’s number.

“Hello… Hello, Gabe is that you! You crazy fool, are you still alive… are you okay?”

With just a little smile, “Checkmate.”


© Copyright 2016 Dave2write (dave2write at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2075086-Checkmate