*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2076139-Unexpected-Tensions
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2076139
A young man has to deal with the tensions life can throw at us.
A blanket of silence lay over the room - a deep and endless silence - one could almost hear the anxiety. With an exaggerated effort, David pushed himself out of the chair, shuffled across the room and stood in front of William. "What are you gonna' do?"

"I don't know," William replied, licking his lips. His mouth was dry, dryer than ever before.

"Well, life is over as you know it, you realize that, right? Your world is gonna' change."

"Yeah, I know. Can I have a glass of water?" William asked, a layer of dust now covering his tongue.

David returned from the kitchen and handed William a bottle of water and a chocolate pudding. "You're gonna have to get a lawyer."

"My dad will know a few." With this William bolted upright in his chair. "Oh my God, my parents, I forgot all about them. What do you think they'll say?" He cracked the top on the water and downed it as if it were a bottle of scotch."

"Do you think you should call them?"

"Yeah, no... yes...hell I don't know!"

William's outburst caught David off guard. "Look man, you've got to get it together. You have some big decisions to make and you look like your face is about to explode."

David realized William was staring past him at the window. "Are you listening to me?"

"A shadow just passed." William said pointing.

David approached the window and slyly pulled back the shade. "It's your neighbor."

"A6?"

"No A10."

"Oh yeah, she's hot to." William smiled. He welcomed the break in the tension.

"I gotta go. Try to get some sleep." David winked, turned and was gone.

And with that, William was alone. $398,000,000, he thought to himself, and a little smile lifted his face.










© Copyright 2016 warriorpoet (warriorpoet62 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2076139-Unexpected-Tensions