*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2076356-Did-I-Miss-Something
Rated: 18+ · Essay · Cultural · #2076356
Super Bowl 50 performance by Beyonce'
Super Bowl 50's halftime performance headlined by Beyonce has pissed off White America and has Black folks adorning Dashikis, raising their fist in the air and prepared to fall in Formation. After viewing the performance I did not have an opinion either way. I was most certainly not inspired to start a Movement. Did I miss something?

I hâve viewed the lyrics several times and nothing about this song screams âBlack Powerâ. So why has such a simplistic synopsis of lyrics that speak of hot sauce, Red Lobster in exchange for good sex, and the words âI slayâ started a movement? Did I miss something? Yes, the portion of the music video with the sinking police car was powerful. I guess the choice of costume for the halftime performance could be considered Black Panther-like. However it is my opinion that to affiliate that performance with a group as influential and powerful as the Black Panthers is insulting to the organization as a whole. It minimizes the contributions they made to Black Community. Adorning a Beret does not constitute such a comparison and I am sure it has Fred Hampton turning in his grave.

White America being infuriated by the performance is an ever present reminder that racism is alive and well. Black folk being moved by the performance is an indication that we are completely unaware of the depth of the pile of racist bullshit we currently stand in. We are up to our necks in injustice, drowning in unfair treatment and perishing as a result of being moved by such menial displays of blackness. The Halftime show was simply an awesome performance by an awesome entertainer! She is not an activist. Until she musters the courage to include lyrics that match the same caliber symbolism displayed in this particular video she will simply remain an entertainer.

Did I miss something?

© Copyright 2016 Expresso Dream (esutton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2076356-Did-I-Miss-Something