*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2080028-Sons-of-Gailland-chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2080028
chapter two of my novel

Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Sons of Gailland

Chapter 2

The sound of clashing steel rang out on the crisp morning air as the people of Thatchton went on about their daily business. In the modest shop, standing behind an anvil with hammer in hand, stood a large man. His arms bulged with muscles so large they seemed about to burst from his skin and his chest was wider than the water barrel he used for tempering the metal he was working. The man's shoulder length brown hair fell into his eyes as he brought his hammer down. The once slender youth could now only be recognized by his deep green eyes which occasionally showed the untamed soul of the boy he was a few short years ago.

It had been over four years since Kalin had bought the shop from his former employer and trainer Barney Smithson, and eight years since his centas allowed him to help provide for his family with the money he made from his work. Each day at dawn as the sun crested the ridge where he spent much of his childhood, Kalin opened shop. Stoking the fires used for forging or fixing horseshoes and warming the ore to be worked on for the day. The front of the shop stayed crowded through most of the day, whether it was children watching Kalin perfect his craft, or young women hoping to catch a glimpse of Kalin working without his tunic. Either way Kalin's shop became a very popular place in the market common of the growing town of Thatchon.

The shop itself was a simple building having only one room and an open front. The roof continued out over the street in front of the shop, supported only by four poles lining the entrance of the building. Inside there were two tables for sitting, three anvils and two forges that were constantly glowing and full of different varieties of metal. To the right of Kalin's work area was a small office where all of his accounts were settled and filed by his old friend Archy. The back and left wall was covered in racks of weapons, horse shoes, and special orders for that week. Behind the shop was a small four stalled stable he used for boarding horses for the villagers and town guard. Recently he had added hitching posts, to the front of the shop and the stalls, for shoeing due to the increased business in the last couple months.

Kalin looked up from the horseshoe he was shaping as his mother walked into the shop. Jessykah had aged well since the boys had convinced her to sell the farm and move into town to let them support her. No more back breaking labor or toiling in the fields for her. Now her only task was making a midday meal for Kalin and Archy so they could all spend time together. She only wished Braydin could be there to enjoy it with them.
. . .

The ship pitched and rocked as the winds of the storm howled around the men on deck. The sailors slid in all directions trying to secure lines and trim the sails so that they could navigate through the storm. The scene was utter chaos with everyone running and shouting orders to other men in the middle of the downpour. Everyone that is except one man, the captain stood firm behind the tiller, quietly directing his first mate on how the sails should be set for the storm as the ship careened through the crashing waves of the unrelenting sea.

The captain, a tall man with broad shoulders appeared older than his age since he had let his beard grow in fully and his hair, currently matted to his head from the rain, had grown down to his shoulder blades. He also had a scar running from the corner of his left eye down the entire length of his cheek curving toward the base of his ear. His steely green eyes constantly scanned the horizon watching for something that only he knew to expect.

Five years ago the captain had given up fishing and became a privateer, sinking any ship that he considered a threat to Gailland or the family of himself and his crew. He was thought of as a vigilante of the sea and an obvious criminal who operated outside of the laws, but the few that wanted to, could not stop him no matter how hard they tried. All the money he had ever made went directly into improving his ship "The Braying Mare", for battle. Even the crew had each been individually taught swordplay and their duties on board personally by the captain, and the crew members also had scheduled sparing sessions on the ship to keep their skills sharp during the uneventful days at sea.

The ship itself was a marvel, created entirely from oak and sealed with pitch, the sides were plated with bronze to help defend against the ramming of other boats. Though the captain thought that the bronze was too much, his brother insisted on adding it. Even the mast head was an elaborate carving of a charging horse crafted entirely of solid bronze, which could also be used as a ram if need be. Both the port and starboard sides of the three masted galley were equipped with wenches attached to grappling hooks used for boarding other boats. However the most daunting aspect of the ship was the four shot repeating balista mounted to the head deck behind the mast head, used to shred the enemy's sails and render them immobile so the crossbow men could pick them off slowly before boarding.

Braydin raised his arm high in the air and blew his whistle three times to call the entire crew's attention over the howling wind and groaning timbers of the ship. Once the entire crew was watching he gave the signal to open as much canvas as possible to give them the speed burst they needed to break through the rough waters of the storm. Men all over the boat scrambled up rat lines and began working lines and climbing the masts, and in a matter of seconds all three sails were completely open and full of wind. "The Braying Mare" jumped forward throwing mist over the head of the ship as it cut through a large wave and raced down the other side gaining speed the entire time.
Braydin turned the tiller hard to the port until reaching a heading due east of their current position. Suddenly beams of sunlight were breaking through the clouds and the sky lightened as the wind died down, causing the ship to lose speed. They had broke free of the storm and had nothing but clear waters and blue skys ahead of them. The crew heard the whistle blow three times once more.

Braydin relinquished the wheel to his first mate and walked to the bridge to look down upon his crew. Everyone stared up at their captain awaiting the orders, as Braydin opened his arms he said "It's been a long thirteen months boys! You all have done very well! Since we last left we have sank twenty-one ships discovered two uncharted islands and drank countless bottles of rum!" he paused to let the cheers and laughter of his crew subside, "Yes you have done very well, and now you shall be rewarded! So go get your things in order boys we're headed for home. Twenty-two days to the beaches of Thatchton!"
. . .
Kalin finished his plate and excused himself as Jessykah and Archy continued to talk about daily happenings of Thatchton and how much had changed in the past few years. Kalin stood up and walked to the front of the shop to look out over the market. Thatchton had changed alot in the past years, nearly doubling in size since he was a child. The trade market had boomed since the additons to the harbor a few years back and now many nobles have began to vacation here to get away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities. Thachton was an ideal place, isolated by the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other, to get away from the dangers of a soldiers life as well. The more savage creatures like orcs and goblins didn't waste the time to navigate the mountains and really had no reason to do so since there would be very little reward in it. Truth be told Kalin only knew of the creatures through stories told to him by his father and Archy. The market square had normal shops on three sides selling day to day goods from clothing to bread and on the west side was the harbor where you could buy fish, boat supplys, and other things of that nature. Kalin's shop was in the center of the eastern side of the square and was so large only two more shops shared the side with him. Looking west from the front of his shop, you would be able to see the ocean if the view wasn't blocked by the three story building in the center of the square called "The Council House" where all the laws of the town were made.

Realizing that the streets were busy and he still had a mound of work ahead of him, Kalin returned to the anvil and began the arduous work of straightening another horseshoe. After some time Archy and his mother left the table and went their seperate ways. Archy went back to the office and Jessykah waved goodbye to Kalin as she left the shop heading to a clothing shop on the north side of the square.
. . .

Jessykah entered Rhondelle's clothing shop carrying the basket from lunch as she did every week to visit with her old friend. There was a rather long line to the counter in the modest one room shop so Jessykah browsed through piles of skirts and blouses trying to find a nice one to wear out to the centas celebration this weekend. Her neighbor's son was coming of age and rumor had it that he was going to choose Kalin as his trainer. This would be Kalin's first apprentice and she wanted to be there to see the surprise on his face whenever he was chosen. The boy was small for his age but he thought the world of Kalin and he talked for hours about him every time Kalin visited her small home just outside the town square. She was feeling quite embarrassed for not remembering the boy's name when she was startled by a voice from behind her. "Can I help you find something?" asked Rhondelle as a grin stretched across his face.
. . .

Kalin dipped the horseshoe and tongs into the barrel of water and then placed it on a hook on the wall behind him before removing his gloves and walking into the office. "How does it look, Archy?" he asked as the little man quickly thumbed through a stack of papers.

"Everything seems to be in order Master Kalin," came the reply from the little man, "This month alone we've made well over two-thousand pieces and there is still a week left. What are you going to do with yourself when you find the time to spend all the money you have?"

"Settle down and find a wife to spend it I guess Archy," Kalin said with a laugh, "I haven' t really given it much thought I guess. Maybe I'll open another smithy some day or melt it down and make horseshoes out of it. Who knows?"

"Well whatever you decide to do with it, make sure I get my share first." Archy joked as he stood and stepped away from the desk, "I'm off to the tavern to wet my whistle. Care to join me young Sir?"

"No Archy, you go ahead I have some things to catch up on here. I still have three swords to finish for the guard by the end of the week." Kalin replied as he watched the old man retrieve his walking staff and hat from the corner of the office.

" Oh rubbish!" exclaimed Archy, "The only thing they use them for is killing flies and somehow they always manage to break them anyway. The guard is just here for show to make the nobles feel safe. In reality they are just a waste of tax money, nothing bad ever happens here. Their swords break from practice and rust you should teach them how to properly maintain a blade Kalin like your father did you. Then maybe you could step out and have a drink with your old friend Archy without feeling guilty about work."

Kalin grinned as he grabbed Archy's shoulder and said, "If I taught them how to maintain the equipment I repair for them you and I would be out of a job, old friend. Now go on to the tavern and have a drink. I'll be along after I finish." Archy nodded in agreement and quietly left the shop leaving Kalin to his work.
. . .

Waves lapped at the side of the ship as it moved quietly through the dark water, the only light being the full moon reflecting silvery light off of the ships wake. At the head of the ship stood a large dark figure with his black cape and like colored hair blowing in the wind. Even in the dark you could tell that the black leather armor he was wearing could barely contain his rippling muscles. In the distance he was watching the water line of a small town which once was the home to one of his greatest enemies. As the ship crept slowly into the harbor he quietly turned to face the stern of the ship and lit the torch he had been holding in great anticipation.

The light from the torch illuminated his features and cast shadows to cause his visage to take on an even more frightening quality than normal. His skin was a dull grey and his thick sloping brow covered his two fierce yellow eyes. His jutting lower jaw added unneeded emphasis to his prominent canine teeth which always protruded from his mouth. He wore his hair shaved with a ponytail high on his head and a long pointed goatee on his chin. The large golden ring in his nose and the raised ceremonial scars on his cheeks did only further accentuated his menacing aura. His eyes narrowed as he heard the sand scraping the hull of the ship and something only described as a smile stretched across his face as he lifted his torch high in the air.

Behind his ship the darkness illuminated with the light of hundreds of torches as the rest of the ships in his fleet ordered their crews prepare to go ashore. The ship groaned to a halt on the beaches of Gailland and the order was passed down from their most accomplished leader. There was no speech or honeyed words for his faithful minions, only one word came form the tyrants twisted lips. "Attack!"
. . .
Kalin dipped the sword blade into the water and turned to hang it on the wall behind him. It was beginning to get late and he was glad he had finished all three swords before he went to bed. Commission work always payed extra whenever you finish early. He placed the sword on the rack behind him to cool and walked to the office to tidy things up before meeting Archy for drinks at the tavern. As Kalin shut the door to the office he heard a muffled scream from somewhere near the harbor and soon afterward saw dock men running through the square. Instinctively he grabbed his hammer and a sword from the rack on the wall and went outside to investigate. He stayed close to the storefront fearing a riot or fire had broken out but then to his dismay he saw what the towns people were running from.

In the dim lights from the buildings near by he saw row after row of soldiers all clad in black leather armor carrying various types of weapons charging through the streets leaving havoc in their wake. They charged into the square setting fire to buildings and cutting down dock workers spreading out into the residential areas as they continued on. The attackers broke off into small groups and began entering buildings and houses dragging women and children into the streets by their hair and killing the men where they stood.

Kalin stood in such shock watching this horror take place that he almost didn't notice the four invaders heading his way. It wasn't until they were right on top of him that he realized that not all of them were men. About half of the attackers moved like men but were about a foot taller and had a very solid build. They had grey skin and coarse hair and a stooped posture more like an ape than a man. The primitive humanoids had low sloped foreheads and pig-like faces with jutting lower jaws containing canines that resembled those of a boar. Amazed Kalin realized that these creatures he was seeing here face to face were the orcs his father had told him of in the stories of his youth. Unfortunately he had no time to dwell on this thought because what he once thought of as a mythical creature was currently trying to remove his head with an axe larger than he had ever seen.

The axe came within inches of Kalin's throat as he stepped backwards to avoid the attack. Kalin suddenly remembered he was holding his hammer in his right hand and he quickly took a swing at the top of the orc's head. The orc leaned back in response to Kalin's attack dodging the blow, but Kalin followed through with the swing, dropping to one knee and smashing the orc's foot under the weight of the twelve pound smithing hammer. Reflexively the orc leaned forward in agony as Kalin quickly raised his hammer following the previous trajectory, smashing it into the orc's face crushing his skull.

Using the weight of the hammer Kalin quickly came back to a standing position ready to face the other three attackers. The other three invaders were men, and all much smaller than Kalin. The three attackers charged the larger man each armed with a sword and dagger. Kalin realizing he was under manned pivoted on his left foot as if he was going to flee, but to the attackers surprise his pivot became a full spin as he released his hammer throwing it directly at the man leading the charge. The hammer struck the man square in the chest causing blood to spray from the mans mouth as he fell heavily to the ground with a wet thud.

Kalin switched sword hands as the next two men came within striking distance. The first man to reach him brought his sword high over his head and brought it down hard. Kalin used his free hand to catch the man's wrist as he fell backwards, using his foot to catapult the invader into one of the thick poles lining the front of his shop. Kalin used the momentum of the man to continue rolling backwards until he regained his footing and stood to face the final man.

The final man aimed his attack well striking Kalin's shoulder with his blade cutting deep into the meat. Kalin was overcome with a burning pain in his shoulder as he saw the blood flowing freely from his arm. Time seemed to slow for Kalin as the man approached to deliver the killing blow. Instinct took over as Kalin lost all control and rational thought, and he flew into a blinding rage standing and charging the invader who was destroying everything he had ever known.

Kalin's good shoulder rammed into the man's stomach as he was charging in taking him off guard. Kalin had dropped his sword and was currently unarmed against his assailant, but the only thing he could think of at the moment was survival so he attacked. Kalin's large meaty fist smashed into the man's face crushing his nose and splintering his jaw. Kalin drew a second time to finish the job as a hot sensation followed by searing pain in his left side just below his rib cage. He looked down, releasing the man, to see a dagger lodged in his side. The man fell to the ground as Kalin unleashed a blood curdling scream before tearing the dagger from his side and turning it on its owner.
The man's eyes grew wide as he tried to get away from his crazed attacker, scrambling backwards on his hands and feet. The man still had his sword but he was too terrified to defend himself from the hulking brute who was currently walking toward him. Kalin closed on the man with the dagger in his blood covered hand, "Stand and face me you coward," he exclaimed, "Or I will kill you on the ground like the dog you are!" The man never even had a chance to reply as Kalin brought the dagger down time and time again until the man was not even recognizable as such. Kalin was so blinded by his rage that he didn't notice the man against the pole stand and run away. He continued stabbing the man until the large explosion in the tavern diverted his attention.

Fire shot out of every opening in the front of the tavern carrying the bodies of the invaders out the door and windows with it. Kalin fell back off of the man surprised by the concussion of the blast. He looked up the street amazed to see three of the invaders had survived the blast and were attempting to stand, while one of their companions lay dead on the street and the other flailed on the ground frantically attempting to douse the flames that were consuming him. To further his amazement still Kalin saw a short man, wearing a wide brimmed hat and carrying a walking staff, stroll casually out of the tavern and into the street.

As Archy watched the two men attempting to regain their feet, he held up his staff and began moving his free hand in strange patterns through the air. Slowly green light began to be emitted from his walking staff, swirling like glowing dust in the air above him as his movements stopped. The dust became brighter and eventually formed into four green glowing spears floating above the little man's head. Archy planted his staff hard on the ground and extended his free hand towards the two terrified men on the ground before him, as he opened his hand the spears flew into their bodies with amazing speed exploding into the green dust after impact.

Kalin stared in amazement for a long time at the two men lying on the ground down the street before he remembered he was bleeding and needed to get help. That's when Kalin noticed two men wearing grey cloaks being chased by a large group of invaders, and he quickly got to his feet and began running in the same direction as the group trampled the two men killed by Archy and continued in his direction.
It wasn't long before the two men caught up to him and began keeping pace with the injured smith. "Follow us and you will be safe Kalin!"
Amazed that this person knew his name Kalin nodded in agreement as the other man shouted "Left!", and all three of them broke to the left. Kalin could feel the invaders breathing down his neck and he felt as if he was running through water. He had lost alot of blood and his head was pounding from the increased activity. Through the pain and noise of his own heart beating in his chest Kalin attempted to take in his surroundings. Then his heart rate increased when he realized they were heading for a dead end, and now he could see the wall at the end of the alley.

"Its a dead end!" Kalin shouted to his new found friends, who hadn't even shown him their faces.
"I know!" said the man on his right as he turned to look at Kalin as they ran, a grin spreading across his face, "Fall to the ground when we get to the end and you will be fine!"

Kalin nodded once again as he drove his legs harder, ready to end this madness one way or another. His vision was fading in and out as he came within touching distance of the wall. His body slammed hard into the wall and he turned to see his pursuers charging down the alley as he slumped to the ground using the wall for leverage. He heard more than saw the other two men hit the wall, but to his amazement they turned and drew weapons from inside their cloaks. Each man pulled a hand crossbow from their side and fired bolts into the crowd of enemies, as Kalin began to laugh at the meager attempt to defend themselves.

Suddenly the air filled with the sound of shafts being fired and bodies falling to the ground. Kalin stared in confusion as more men flooded out of the surrounding buildings clearing the bodies off of the street. The man on his right looked down on him pulling back his hood. Kalin stared up at the man as unconsciousness began to set in and all of the movement around him faded into a blur.
As his vision faded away completely he heard another man's voice say, "Rhondelle you did good bringing him with you. Let's just hope his brother doesn't show up until they leave."

. . .

Braydin's face was a mask of horror as his ship pulled into the harbor. The town he had grown up in had been reduced to a smoldering pile of rubble and thick grey smoke still filled the sky above him. It seemed like every building in town had been smashed or burned and what was even worse he didn't see anyone moving about in the streets. He couldn't believe what he was seeing, and from the sound of things neither could his crew.

The ship came to a sudden stop as the anchor dug into the rough ocean floor of the harbor, and men began scrambling over the side of the top deck to check on their familes and homes. Braydin stared blankly at the scene before him and hung his head as he wept. He would never forgive himself for not stopping the travesty that lay before him. His country men lying dead in the streets like dogs and their homes and businesses leveled to the ground around them.

As Braydin crossed the gang plank to the charred dock he noticed someone walking toward the ship from town. It was only a second before he recognized the outline of the little man. His wide brimmed hat and walking staff were hard to mistake even in such a rattled state of mind. Archy walked out onto the dock as Braydin shouted to him, "What in the name of the gods happened here Archy?"

Archy gave Braydin a forlorn look as he placed his hand on the mans shoulder. After a slight pause Archy replied, "I have much I need to tell you young sir, but first you must come with me. Your brother needs you right now."

Braydin's face took on a hard quality and sternly he said to his small friend, "Lead the way Archy."

Archy's face brightened a bit and he said, "Soon young sir, I may have the honor of following your lead," and they walked up the ramp leading into town from the docks side by side.
© Copyright 2016 Charles Clayhorn (ccameron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2080028-Sons-of-Gailland-chapter-2