*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2080603-Spiderverse-Origins
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Animal · #2080603
An attempt to prove giant spiders have feeling leads to creation of giant friendly spider
Spiderverse origins.

John Aricin approaches the final and biggest spider. This one was 7 foot tall and about 12 wide. A single drop of fear and he would die, and it wouldn't be quick. He remembered the induction video; the first person to die of giant spiders took 6 days and 7 hours to lose consciousness. This was why he had a small bomb inserted into his palate, far better to die quickly.
He placed the bucket on the floor just below the spiders head. The spider lowered its head and sprayed about a pint of pure venom into the bucket. John, keeping focused on the spider at all times reached into a back pocket attached to the biohazard suit and removed one bluish black cube and gave it to the spider. He then gently patted the spider on the head.
John sealed the bucket, the venom inside was worth millions and would get serious ticking off it he split even one drop. Keeping the spiders in view at all times got to the door and step outsider, bucket in hand. He was safe the spiders couldn't follow him out of the room; they were only possible within it.
A woman with a clipboard and glasses took the bucket and weighed it.
"A new record John, here is your check," she said.
I took the check. As I left for decontamination she said "You don't need to come in next week, we're moving to a new rephysicing chamber. It'll be two weeks before the new spiders can be collected from.
"What will happen to the spiders here", John asked already expecting the worse.
"The machine will be turned off this means..."
"I know" deadpanned john. "When will the turnoff be?"
"11am Saturday, are you going to watch", incredulous that the conversation had gone on so long and that John was volunteering to go to a social event.
"I will be there" he said and then abruptly left
...
At II am Saturday John arrived at the lab again. Unfortunate several other people can arrived there and were making tedious conversation. There were also speeches, typically corporate bragging, completely unnecessary as he already worked for them. The spiders noticed him, they did a little tap dance in expectation that he would come in. He would have done so but the door as lock tight, presumably so some drunken socialite did walk in and get eaten, which was apparently a bad thing.
Eventually they got round to the turnoff. The president, CEO or somesuch moved to the main console, made yet another speech and they flipped an unnecessarily large switch. There was a sound that nobody had yet thought of a way to describe. The spiders all looked towards John.
As john watched the next few seconds time slowed to a crawl. First thick blue blood leaked from the spider's eyes, months and rear ends. Then there abdomens snapped clean off, spraying torrents of blue blood eye everywhere. The biggest spider tried to move when suddenly its legs simply bent under it, fragments of exoskeleton snapping off. The head and body then caved in. Finally the whole thing exploded. Fragments of legs, organs, muscles and brain, covered the transparent windows of rephysicing chamber; some of them still twitching and the brain fragments show small flashes for a few seconds.
Everyone in the room clapped. John didn't. John new something horrible had just happened here, if not murder then something close to it. He knew that the spiders died afraid and confused. They expected he would save them, he didn't. He left immediately; words would not sway these people, especially as he wasn't that good at them. He had to show them how giant spiders could have thoughts and feelings.
...
John decided that being that could best make the case for giant spider rights would be a giant spider of a least human intelligence, preferably much greater. To do that would need a rephysicing chamber. A new once would be far too expensive so he would have to use the newly abandoned one. He knew that it would lay abandoned as destroying it safely would cost too much. The next problem would be how to power it, would have to be off the grid otherwise the power use would be detected and turned off, killing the spiders within the chamber.
John took a break by reading some stories where animals grow to huge sizes for some reason. One of them was about an eel that grew ever larger my eating its own tail. This gave john an idea, the city was powered by several giantified eels, the less efficient eels where dumped in a nearby lake soon after birth. One of these would provide just enough power to start up the machine; this would change physic allowing it to get bigger so it could have more power and so on. A simple trap would be able to catch one of these eels.
Using a trap that would only open one way, brought at a fishing shop, john caught a very small eel. He brought to the abandoned lab, inserted a pacemaker to insure it would always produce electricity, wired it up and put it in a paddling pool. A few biohazard signs around the lab discouraged any investigation. Feed on a high protein diet the eel began to grow. His high paying job and lack of expenditure of social activities left him plenty of money to feed this eel. Starting at a mere 3 inches it doubled in length and octupuled in power every week or so. Within a couple of months it was more than a hundred foot long and about 8 feet tall. It curled around the whole edge of the chamber, john had to build a bridge over it and built a device to feed it an amount that wouldn't cause any more growth whilst still maximising charge automatically. It was time to begin.
...
John then debated which spider or spiders to grow. Portia spiders where chosen due to their high intelligence even at normal sizes. As they hunted other spiders only one would be used. John would have to simulate the spider's brain by himself. Unfortunately the lab didn't have any Portia as they kept killing the other spiders. John decided to raise this spider from an egg so that it would have the maximum amount of time to grow used to him, just as he did with the other giant spiders.
Some of these spiders had escaped from being kept as pets, they now infested the area. His deep knowledge of spider behaviour made them easy to find. He originally hatched them in his own home. He choose the largest brained health spider as the one to be grown, the others were released in the wild.
John used terrarium with most things in it to provide mental stimulation to house the spider in the rephysicing chamber. It started off less than a tenth of an inch across. Feed daily, it soon reached it adult size of about 3 inches.
Once it was adult size john made the spider have to solve simple puzzles to get feed. For example john placed some floating food at the bottom of a spiral tube filled with some water and placed some small pebbles nearby, the spider got the food by raising the water level by placing the pebbles in the tubes. As the spider grew larger the puzzle got more complex for example he brought in a miniature vending machine filed with spider treats used it and then left his wallet in his jacket which he then removed, the spider watched via video camera, stole the wallet, used the coins inside and then returned it. John also brought in live prey, mice various insects and other spiders, ensuring they would have plenty of places to hide to the hunt wouldn't be too easy.
When the spider reached 3 feet tall if once again rushed at john upon his entry. This time it presented john with a parcel wrapped up in spider silk. Tearing it apart john saw it was filled with a dead mouse. John hoped this was just a sign of friendship, as the end results of spider romance were quite unpleasant for the male. Not wanting to confirm any relationship by taking the gift, which could perhaps lead to immediate mating, nor turn down the gift and possibly make it angry John took the diplomatic step for splitting it in half and having them eat it right then. John merely place the front end of the mouse in his mouth and spat it out when the spider wasn't looking. He then went to the bathroom immediately and at great speed.
John resolved to start teaching the spider English starting at the next meeting.
John taught the spider using the flash cards that had an image of something on top and the word for it below. After ensuring the spider knew the relationship between pictures and objects using a fetch game john showed the spiders the cards whilst pronouncing what was on them. The spider was tested by being asked to place the mixed up words next to their words or objects, john gradually increased the number of cards, eventually adding verbs, adjectives, propositions and even numbers. With a few weeks the spider was putting together sentences which whilst the syntax was a bit odd at time were perfectly good English. John was asking questions in verbal English and the spider was responding with the cards.
When the spider started biting the words apart and then threading them together to make other words or even new words which the spider then tried to teach to John new it was time to move on to the next stage.
John brought a military surplus i-pad 7 and open it to a word processing software of sorts. By tying some of the metal from the various devices on the ceiling from when the chamber was a spider farm to her forelegs, the now 5 and half foot spider, could type at a pretty fast pace. The conversation, now much more faster and flexible then with the cards started out fairly typical with spider showing off its mastery of English and asking to play certain games when it suddenly asked.
"Why can't I go behind door"
"Because you'll die" john said.
"why?"
John over a conversation that lasted more than an hour because of all the new words john had to tech John explained that the different laws of physics in this room where the only thing keeping her alive.
"John build another machine so I can got outside"
John regretfully replied "I don't know how to"
"You not build it"
"I didn't build it"
"Who build it, have them build another"
"I will ask"
She then went was still not a bit and then asked
"What does outside look like?"
John asked to hold the I pad for a bit and then connected to the company Wifi. He logged it onto the internet and brought up Google earth on the left of the screen, leaving the right for the spider to type. The screen should the whole earth in 3D.
"This is earth the planet we live on"
"Where are we?"
John zoomed in to the factory where they were.
"Where right here" said john pointing.
"Everywhere outside here is so much prettier, what was all that blue stuff" asked the spider
Hours passed as John talked and the spider typed. Eventually they both went to sleep.
They both woke up at the same time.
John explained he was going to see about getting a new rephysicing machine so Portia could leave. He left to talk with the manager of this facility; due to being pretty much solely responsible for most of the profit this place made in got to see him in less than an hour.
...
"The Answer is no" intoned the small Hispanic gent in tweed from behind a very large hardwood desk.
"You don't even know what I'm asking yet" john emphasised
"Yes I do, you want to go on a field trip with your spider pet. The only way that spider is leaving that room is as a pile of spider goo."
"How did you know about her" asked john intrigued
"It is my job to know everything that happens in this facility. Once I heard of your little "experiment" I had the building bugged. I've known everything you've done in there. I could have had that thing destroyed at any time. I have been lenient with you but only I find the perverted relationship you've started to be quite amusing. Now bother me about this no longer less I change my mind."
"This spider is clearly a sentient being in its own right, to keep it locked up in their when it has committed no crime is wrong"
"You seem to have forgotten that your "friend" is actually a giant spider. Morality does not apply to spiders which as you surely remember are cannibals that torture their prey to death, your precious Portia is the worst of the lot as it feeds exclusively no its own kind. What horror would it release on the world now that it is intelligent? I will not be responsible for mankind being ruled over by 8-legged tyranny. Your friend will stay in its little box until she dies."
"Sir..." begged john before he was interrupted
"YOU WILL LISTEN TO ME SPIDER LOVER" said the manager in quiet much very forceful manner. He brought out a remote with a single big red button on it. "One press of this button and your friend will be so much goo. No you are going to say yes sir and leave her and never speak of this again, do I make myself clear"
"Yes sir," john forced out, he then left the room.
...
John reported back to Portia with the bad news.
"I'm so sorry, I think I've stuck you in here forever" apologised John.
"'Don't worry I have a plan but first the off switch must be dealt with, at 1.30pm he'll leave for 2 pints of cider and a steak and ale pie, he'll be done for at least an hour and 12 minutes, well take it out then.
...
There waited and soon found a small EMP device in part of the rephysicing machine, john slight rotated one component making the device useless.
...
When john returned Portia conspiratorially said "Now to tell you my plan, I'll build a new rephysicing machine that I'll take everywhere I go."
"How will you keep it safe, if its damaged too much your die, where will you get the money, there will cost millions to build" john pointed out
"Money is just some numbers on a banks database, those numbers can be changed. I'll build the rephysicing machine in the safest place I know, inside my body and from my own cells."
"You're already smart enough to do that" said john amazed
"Not yet much I will be, the bigger I get the smarter I get, right"
"Right" agreed John
"So I'll just have to keep eating until I get huge. Sorry we can't play more but I've got to buy several tonnes of food"
The spider quickly hacked several million pounds into an account he just created. She then brought several tonnes of dog food and several miles of Swiss roll. She also brought a video camera.
"What's with the video camera" asked a bemused John.
"I'm going to tell my story online, so when I do get out of here people will be less likely to freak out and do something stupid"
"What have you done so far?"
"I've set up a Facebook page, a twitter feed and are starting a series of flash animations about a giant spider about a giant spider that set up a dental practice. I've also sent large amounts of money to organisation promoting co-operation between humans and spiders"
"Show me" asked john
She did so.
"They aren't believing that I'm actually a giant spider, is doesn't help that there are lots of communities that do pretend that they are. I've to get some news people to come round, letting the delivery people caught sight of me should cause some interest. I think this would go faster if I was left alone for a while"
"Well, okay, yes I'll be back tomorrow" John said uncertainly
"Please do, when I leave this place I want to do it with you."
John then left the chamber.
...
The next day John arrived to find the control room stuffed with hundreds of boxes.
"ATTACH THIS TO THE TOP MOST BOX" intoned the spider through a speech synthesising program. A thread of spider silk came through the door to the chamber. It had a big sticky glob on the end. Non stuck it to a box, it held fast. The spider then wheeled it in. Another tread appeared and the process repeated. This continued until all the boxes where in the chamber.
John entered the chamber, the spider had grown overnight. It was already tall enough that john could walk under it if it stood up as tall as possible. "You've really got into the whole growing thing."
"Yes, I've found that I really like growing bigger"
"So how big do you want to get" asked john, slightly worried
"As big as I possibly can" said the spider excitedly
"What if that's hundreds or thousands of feet tall, maybe even miles, you could hurt a lot of people"
"I'm going to get smarter too, I'm sure I'll figure something out, If it means hurting people I'll stop growing"
"Cool, but you've got to get out of here first"
...
The next few days would follow a fixed pattern, spider would eat grow and research. She and John would take about what there do when she can leave.
...
"Okay here the blue box you told me to get" said John
"Open it"
John opened the box revealing two syringes, a red one and a blue one. There contained a fluid those colour constantly changed.
"The red ones for me and the blue one's for you. Inject me first."
"what does my one do?" asked John
"It's a surprise, I'm sure you'll like it"
John removed the syringe from the shaped foam padding.
"Where do I put it, your exoskeleton is far too hard to punch through" asked john
"Try the trachea" said the spider gently lowering its rear end so john could reach it.
John reach up to the spider body, found the right role and reach the inside it.
"Here?"
"Yes, please hurry, I'm going too...achoo"
John found himself covered in spider snot. He wiped his eyes clear and then Jab it in and far as he could.
"Stay clear John, in think I'll start jerking once it takes effect," Warned Portia.
John didn't need to be told twice, he quickly went to the far corner of the chamber and climbed a ladder to a spider silk hammock Portia had made. There he injected his syringe felt tingly and then passed out.
...
"Wake up John"
John looked around to see Portia's enormous face and foot wide eyes looking down at him. It was surrounded by a glow that was sort of red but not red. The roof was a long way behind per head, at least 50 feet.
"So it worked, you've finally got out of that chamber. Are you really speaking English or is it just telepathy or something" asked John his mind clearer and sharper than ever.
"English", boasted the spider. "I can now change the genes and the laws of physics within my body at will, that seemed a good place to start."
"Portia, I feel a bit weird, that exactly did that injection do", asked John.
"I'll show you" said Portia its eyes bugling slightly with excitement.
The spider brought a big rectangular thing into johns view. Tentacles coming from 3 holes at the tip of each of Portia's legs where hold the object. Portia turned the object around, it was a mirror. John lock at this reflection in the mirror, he was a giant spider.
"Do you like it" asked Portia, "I can change you back if you don't"
"This... is...fantastic" said john "I've always wanted to be a giant spider. So do I get all the spider powers, like super strength?"
"Yep"
"Super speed?"
"Yep"
"Super toughness"
"YEP"
"Can I make spider silk"
"Yep"
"Venom too?"
"Yep"
"That glow around you is my Infra-red vision, isn't it"
"Right"
"I'm going to see what I can do" said John as he tried to turn onto his front. He then fell over.
"Eight legs, hydraulic muscles, massive arse, this will take some getting used to" said John getting up and falling over a few more time.
"I'll help" said Portia, reached down to pick him up.
...
Montage to tune of I get knock down but I get up again
...
"That montage made me hungry, is there any way for me to eat without killing anything" asked John.
"What about you look in those boxes" said the spider thingy pointing. "I own all the objects in this warehouse, so it's okay to eat anything.
John looked into one of the boxes.
"Wow I love this brand" opens another box, "these too", next box "and these", yet another box "I didn't know they made these anymore"
"They didn't until I brought the company that used to make them"
John then made a huge pile of candy. He spilt it leg tentacles into hundreds of tentaclelets and used all of them to eat, scattering wrappers over a hundred foot radius. "Oh do you want some" ask john suddenly flushed with guilty.
"Just one of each, I don't need to eat anymore"
John tossed some candy Portia's way put was too busy eating to reply
...
A montage to the tune of food glorious food later
...
John stopped eating for a bit.
"Did I just get bigger" asked john
"Yes, you did, you're now 8 foot tall. The more you eat the bigger your get. Smarter to"
"You don't mind if I get as big as you do you" asked John
"No, I want you to, please do it as quickly as possible"
"Okay!!" said john diving into the middle of a huge pile of boxes.
...
After about 3 days John was the same size as Portia.
"Okay, field trip, where should be go first?" asked john eagerly
"We've got to say here a bit longer, they aren't ready for two 25ft spiders yet, some idiot in the military might nuke the city or something"
"Ooh..." said john, "our much longer until there are ready.
"42 years" said Portia, "could be up to 66"
"Can you speed it up, I want to fight crime"
"Yes, I have an idea, something truly transformational; I won't try it unless you agree"
"Okay what is the plan?"
Portia told John the master plan
"Now that is a plan, I'm in, how do we start"
"Firstly we need help, and to make sure the plan works we need to get bigger and smart, much bigger and smarter."
"What sort of help, if we get anyone in there might tell the world causing mass panic" John asked
"Well, you're a female spider, am I'm a male spider"
"Well if you insist" said john awkwardly
"Come on it'll be fun" said Portia firing spider silk to the roof
"Just don't eat me, okay"
...
They had sex
...
"That was more fun than I'll thought it would be" said John.
"Again"
"Sure"
...
More sex
...
Even more sex
...
Lots of sex
...
More sex then a big sexy thing
...
"I'm bored now"
"Yeah it is getting a bit repetitive, how about me try using this"
"I guess that's worth a sort
...
Kinky sex
...
Very kinky sex
...
Sex so kinky that it cannot be comprehended by the human mind
...
Sex so kinky it would almost interest an octopus
...
They then went to sleep.
...
"Look I'm a mother" said Portia pointing towards a huge pile of spider eggs.
"Wow, so I'm a dad, I didn't expect that a month ago", said john peering in for a closer look
"So what do we do now" he asked nervously
"I don't know, I guess we wait for them to hatch"
...
Several weeks later then eggs began to hatch. The egg spilt open and a palm sized spiderling crawled out. John tenderly picked up the spiderling and turned it around
"It's a boy!!" said John.
"So that's 178 522 girls, and three boys" said Portia
John and Portia, now a nearly reaching the roof of the warehouse at a hundred feet tall, picked up all the spiderlings with thousands of foot tentaclelets and put them on their backs. There they eat the special skin they have both grown up there and began to grow.
...
Sometime later all the of the warehouse was filled with human sized spiders. Strands of spider silk covered almost everything. Hundreds of Lorries arrived every day filled with food and other goods. John and Portia stood in the centre of this place.
They read the minds of every spider there, looking for the right one. John found one that would work, Portia agreed. They called it telepathically. The child came. It climbed up John's body and then sat upon his left fang before and eye as big as it was.

"Hi dad" said the spiderling.
"Hello Zylos, I have a secret mission for you to do outside"
"What is, what is, what is it" asked Zylos so excited she fell off Johns fang and had to web sling back on.
"I want you to bring me a human"
"Ooooh, a human which one" said Zylos doing more controlled but equally energetic dance
"Edna Ranger, she lives a far too big house 5 miles northwest of here, she only leaves the house once a week so it will be that long before anyone will even begin to suspect she's gone. I suspect it will be much longer. Take her in her sleep."
"Why do you want her?" asked Zylos
"So I can practice turning humans into spiders" replied John.
"Can I go now" begged Zylos
"Yes you can"
John picked up Zylos, and placed him on the roof of the warehouse.
"Look luck" said Portia.
...
Zylos had the time of his life swinging and jumping from building to building in the industrial park. Soon she came to the country side where it ran through fields of corn and tipped cows just for fun. She also eat some things on the way, somethings were nice, something where boring and one thing was absolutely horrible, well it looked like fudge.
She came to the house, filled with faded photographs and tattered furniture. She climbed the stair and entered the building.
"So this is what humans look like" thought Zylos
Zylos bundled here up in here own duvet, tried here to her back and left the house through the bedroom window. She ate some of the flowers on the way out, not really that tasty. Zylos then very very carefully went back the warehouse, she remembered when John told her about humans and that they break much more easily then spiders.
...
"Here you go dad, one human" said Zylos proudly
"Good Job" again both John and Portia
The rest of spiders gathered to see the Human.
"Zylos take his lady into that hut over there, put here in the bed, be with her when she wakes up.
Zylos did so.
...
"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE" Yelled Edna, striking Zylos with a table lamp.
"But...But...this isn't your house" said Zylos backing away under repeated blows.
"Well then, I'm going home, and your pay for a cab" she said throwing the door open.
"Ooh" she said dropping the table lamp as see saw John Portia and thousands of their brood, "this is quite odd"
"Hi" said John so embarrassed he spontaneously developed the ability to blush and then did.
"So who's in charge around here," demanded Edna.
John nudged Portia forwards.
"Hello Edna, I'm Portia, I'm her mother, pleased to meet you" she said awkwardly
"Mother you say, didn't you tell her it's impolite to take people from their beds" Protested Edna
"Actually it was my idea" said John stepping forwards very slightly compared to the sizes of his body.
"What the blazes where you thinking" accused Edna.
John then explained the situation. Portia jumped in sometimes.
"Zylos will take you back home if you want. Please don't tell anyone where here. If you want to be a spider I promise it won't hurt," apologised john.
"Alright, I'll let you turn me into a spider, it's not like I've got anything else to do. But you have to ask nicely," reconciled Edna.
"Edna, please let me turn you into a giant spider" requested john.
"Well, alright" said Edna
John placed a single arm tentacle on Edna left shoulder.
POOF
She was now a giant spider.
"So what you do think," asked John.
"It'll do" said Edna.
...
John and Portia searched the more distant corners of the internet for people who would like to be giant spiders. One of their spawn would approach them when they were alone and offer them the transformation they wanted. If they accepted they were taken to the warehouse and then changed. They would then help find other people and change them too. They also kidnapped the CEOs of a few companies that specialised in killing spiders or who were particularly mean to giant spiders. This included the manager from before.
After a few hundred experiments they had mastered how to transform people into spiders from a distance and to preload them with enough body memory to handle single tasks. Whilst this happened John and Portia crouched down so they could grow larger without revealing themselves. At the same time they brought up several major newspapers and TV channels and had them run pro-spider stories, whilst the doctor got a giant spider companion and the new batman movie had Batman team up with a giant spider to stop octopus zombie Hitler from ruining the world by killing all the spiders.
...
Then the whole world changed
At 11.45am, a message was broadcast from every TV, Radio, computer, I-pod, phone, fax machine and sheep. It's said "Greetings, human race at precisely 12 noon (the local time was said) you will be transformed into a giant spider, his process in not painful and your minds will be unaffected. Do not operate any heavy machinery at that time."
At 11.55 everybody started feeling slight nauseous. 99.99% of people sat down then.
At 12 everybody in the world spontaneously became a giant spider. Any problems that would have been caused by that momentary lose consciousness and ability to move were prevented by John or Portia taking over remotely. Nobody was hurt during the process, in fact several people's lives where saved as they attached that would have killed them if they were human were survived by their spider bodies.
From their warehouse John and Portia watched the world's reaction to the sudden transformation. At the same time they opened the doors to the warehouse letting all their brood out. As people across the world started to blame each other for the transformation ("this is God's punishment for cancelling firefly" and stuff like that) and they moved much of the world's media to near their warehouse john turned to Portia and said "Now."
"Now" she replied.
John and Portia stood up, the roof of the warehouse smashing to bits and cascading from their 200 foot fall bodies. The media of the world, recognising them from their massage turned in their direction.
They are started asking questions at once in dozens of different languages. Those media that weren't there got there as fast as their 8 legs could carry them. Many questions were asked, they were answered telepathically with the native language version being mind beamed right into their cameras etc. much of them very stupid, eventually the follow new information was given.
1.          The process was reversible, members of their brood who are willing to help have made selves bright blue
2.          I also cured all diseases when I transformed you
3.          We are so big so we could co-ordinate this transformation and because we like growing
4.          I expect any violence between spiders and humans to be dealt with in courts
5.          For the last time I'm not going to eat you
6.          Those that want to take their transformation further can come here, once again talk to a bright blue brood to have your travel arranged.
John and Portia waited 40 days for the next stage to be announced. Over those days they answered any questions people had, both in person and on their website. After a couple of days of national holidays (everywhere except Germany) everybody got back to work. Most people when back to being human. Many of those that stayed spider took up crime fighting, which became awkward when there wasn't nearly enough crime to go round. Only a few thousand people decided to go along with the next stage of the plan.

Thought various means Portia made it clear she was making a big pronouncement.
Speaking in every language at once Portia proclaimed "Less than a year ago I was less than a tenth of an inch across, since then I have grown both physical and mentally and, I hope, morally. I enjoyed that immensely. I shared the joy of growth with my partner John, and now as I intend to grow even bigger I will share it with all of you. All of you before me now have the power of growth, everything you consume, vegetable, animal or mineral will make you larger and increase your brain power. As you grow towards the heavens remember this, just because you are bigger does not make you more important, as such I have change your body so that no matter no big they before they will never destroy thing or hurt people by accidently. Likewise do not use your great size or power to damage people, property or dignity; if you do the power of growth will be forever hidden from you. I do not demand your fealty for this but I do make a request, half the mass you gain you returned to me and John. This is how."
Portia's, two front legs spawns enough tentacles to touch all those assembled, each one grows and extra foot tall. Portia shrank slightly, John gave up some of his mass and they evened up. They are started transferring size to each other, causing sizes to change chaotically.
"To rest of the world, I will gladly share the power of growth with you if you just ask. Now those of you gathered here now, go, there is much to be consumed and much to outgrow."
Those gathered scattered searching for things to eat. They began by eating all their now useless precessions, reaching about 10 feet by the time that was done. Thinking of something to eat that nobody would miss they thought of garage. They would take to starting a street at ten foot, eating all the rubbish in the bins and ending the street at 25ft. The growth really kicked off when they found the dumps; they ate every scrap they could find gained hundreds of thousands of tonnes of mass and hundreds of feet in height. Two enterprising spiders flittered the massive garbage patches in the Atlantic and pacific oceans, gaining a Hundred million tonnes of mass, mountainous size and knighthoods.
John and Portia had grander plans; whilst others would clean the earth and water they would clear the air. The modified their lungs to filter out excess carbon dioxide, smog, cfcs, carbon monoxide and dozens of more substances in the atmosphere that shouldn't be there. There travelled the world leaving clear air in their wake. Two centuries of pollution where absorbed in 2 months. By the time they were done that and the tributes they received made them 40 miles tall. They would stand on top of major cities, casting no shadow, talk to, solve the problems of and grant the wishes (within reason) of all the people inside.
Seeing these huge spiders, others wanted to join in, tributting their own useless houses to the cause of giant spiders. Waves of benevolence flowed from them, breaking down nearly all traces of bigotry and cruelty. Many did not want to leave them, and so moved onto their bodies, some hand their houses moved with them others moved into the one of cities they built on their backs. These cities had teleportation, replicators and holodecks. There were self-cleaning with plenty of green spaces, full employment and zero crime. All the technology was shared with those on the surface too.
Soon everything on the earth that could be eaten without causing problems had been eaten. The largest spiders had a cunning plan, there would dig down and eat the core of the earth, holding it steady spider webs as more and more of the earth was consumed. They did that. Soon whilst the surface the earth was unaffected the inside was mostly hollow. Lost in the joy of their growth, most of the extra mass was had to John and Portia, who were sure to share it evenly. Their abdomens were now as big as the earth, the great density of the interior of the earth increased their volume by more than the volume they ate. Every public action of everybody on earth was watched by the John and Portia. They looked to heavens and knew they were just getting started.
They first ate the moon, splitting it along its equator. They replaced the tides with their own gravity. They set up a rota for some spiders to be the moon, it was quickly filled. There was a contest, judged by Brian Cox.
They saw the planets beyond. They sent strands of silk to them, they newly grows could have them. They would have to tell them if they found any life. John and Portia had a bigger plan, they looked towards the sun.
Even with all the mass in the solar system in them the sun would still be too hot of them to get safely near. They built a straw, they would suck the mass right out of the sun. Before they even started to drain the sun the earth was the size of a football compared to them. As they sucked the sun down to nothing with a straw with two heads they grew still larger. By the time there were finished the earth was dwarfed my even their smaller eye balls. Portia changed her eyes so it would shiny with the heat and light of the eaten sun. John called one of his sons to act as a replacement. The new soon caused neither skin cancer or sun burn and would guarantee you sunny skies if you gave it a muffin.
John and Portia gave themselves the ability to travel faster than light. They blasted off to Proxima Centauri, taking earth with them. They found very primate life on a planet orbiting it, not even as complex as bacteria. Deciding to preserve the life on that planet they took the surface of the planet and wrapped it round a spider grown to planet size. The sun was eaten and a smaller friendlier sun appeared in form of another giant spider, to stabilise the orbit another spider got to be a moon. Some colonists were sent to the new world with teleporters leading back to earth, all inhabitants were thoroughly sterilised.
Next they were to Alpha Centuari, there they found a sentient race, which looked like giant snails, however it was only in the Bronze Age so they didn't contact them directly so as not to interfere in their culture. A few spiders where sent to watch over the planet, study the inhabitants and provide them with a culturally sensitive afterlife. The power to send mass remotely was invented so they could get help if there was any trouble. To minimize effect on their culture most of that solar system was left alone.
After 5 other dull star systems that they simply eaten up they came across a civilisation with advance technology. There were a crystalline race which moved around the planet in a symbiotic relationship with air whales which swam through the very dense air of this planet. The whales gave the crystals movement whilst the crystal absorbed harmful radiation and guided them to food sources. After preparations meetings started between the people of the Earth and this planet which they called "The Soup". Both races were very excited to see intelligent life from other stars and wanted to learn all about each other. John created a humans sized avatar of himself and used it to ride around on one of the whales, putting most of his mind to sleep so he could really enjoy it. Portia offer to turn their whale companions into giant spiders with grow to eat power, allowing them to get much bigger and more powerful, they were changed so they wouldn't get smarter as result as the crystal would not hijack at sentient creature. Most of them took up the offer and quickly became planet sized as they ate the local sun and other, lifeless, planets. A crystal free whale was supersized, energized and hypnotized to take the place of the sun.
Having worked out what to do with life on other worlds the other growing spiders where given the power to travel faster than light on their own. They each went off to a different star system, they had many adventures, meet all sorts of interesting life forms and ate lots of yummy planets. The earth stayed with John and Portia wherever they went, even as it became less than a speck compared to them they still included it in their adventures and loved every single living on it.

© Copyright 2016 Redstreak (redstreak at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2080603-Spiderverse-Origins