*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2084048-Hills-and-Valleys
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2084048
Three Minute Read
Hills and Valleys

He slowly inched his way onto the high roof. There was nothing left, his career destroyed, his wife gone, his children hated him. There was nothing to live for, he would end it here.

As he settled on the hotel roof, he could see a snow covered mountain in the distance. Startled by the sight, he thought about how odd it was that it could be so warm here, yet there, cold and covered with ice. Hills and valleys, there were always hills and valleys. His own situation came rushing back.

Maybe this was a valley. His hill had been high, a mountain. The star of his company, climbing the ladder quickly. Marrying Julia, leading a charmed life. Their kids healthy and delightful, his work exciting and challenging. He had it all. Until Carla.

Carla saw something in him he didn’t realize was there. Gullibility…stupidity. He fell for her like a brick, while she destroyed his life. She couldn’t settle for the funds from work either, she delighted in making sure Julia knew he’d cheated, destroying his marriage, turning his kids against him. This was his lowest point, but maybe this was a valley, maybe he could climb again.

Looking at the mountain he felt hope. It wouldn’t be easy but he could fix it. Yes, he had let Carla in, but he himself hadn’t stolen anything, he could help catch Carla, get the money back. He could fix this. He could beg and grovel, get Julia’s forgiveness, maybe one day her love again, he could have his family back. Feeling hope he slowly returned to the window.

When he got there, he felt renewed. He really could fix this! Looking up, he gazed right into Carla’s eyes. “Hello Lover,” she said, smiling as she pushed him off the roof.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2084048-Hills-and-Valleys