*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085374-Encounter
by Arctic
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2085374
This was a homework assignment a while back. Might as well put it up here.
Its blood-coloured eyes bored into me, and I stared back.
I had been taking my casual stroll through the forest, when I had found a clearing. I find it strange. I had never been there before, even though I had probably walked down that path a hundred times or so. There was nothing special about the empty space, apart for a rock that I had decided to stand on. The black of night was slightly becoming day, so the area was still dark, barely illuminated by fireflies. But as I looked more closely, someone was watching me. Actually, it was more like something. 2 crimson orbs, one of them larger than my fist and one slightly smaller, floated near a tree. I couldn't recognize them as eyes until it moved. It shifted and I froze on the spot. My brain sent signals to my legs to run, but something held me to the ground.
It moved closer, and I could make out it's huge figure, it wasn't human - I could tell from it's eyes - but the body was shaped like a human. It was hard to explain, but before it fully stepped out, It looked like a person. Except it had shoulders broader than guitars and limbs thicker than barrels. It's legs were short but it's arms hung down so low that its hands dragged across the grass.
But then it stepped out of the shelter of trees, and I nearly fainted.
The entire body was made of rock. It was looked like a stone golem from a movie or something.
It stomped closer, every step creating small vibrations in the earth. I noticed small patches of moss and vine in the little cracks of the mis-matched stones. Had it been here a long time? It tread inches closer and I stepped back, trembling in my boots. Once again, I wanted to run away from the forest, but my feet stayed glued to the grass. A bead of sweat trickled down my cheek. This thing could crush me in one fist if it wanted to. I hoped not, because for whatever reason, I couldn't run away.
It's head was just the same as it's body, more pieces of rock stuck together, giving it a round shape. It had two empty holes in it's face where the flaming eyes remained, reminding me of a skull. But as I peered closer, it looked somewhat incomplete, like it was missing something. It's left arm, I realized, was a bit smaller than the other, and seemed to be slumped more than the right.
I saw it's head tilt even further down ( because It was already looking down on me, It was that tall) so it was looking at my feet. I followed it's gaze to see what it was suddenly so interested in. I realized It was staring at the stone under my feet. It was about as big as a plate in baseball, if not bigger. I glanced back up at it's shoulder and back down at the rock. Putting two and two together, I quickly jumped off stone and slid my fingers underneath it. It was surprisingly light and I picked it up with ease. After I had stood back up, the monster was watching my actions. With shaking hands, I stretched out my arm, offering it the plate.
It seemed to hesitate for a split second before it took the plate with it's jagged hands. I observed, fascinated as it slid the plate back where it belonged. It experimented it's fixed arm, swinging it up and down for a while. But then, something caught my eye. It's mouth, that stretched from both sides of it's face and gave it a large underbite, had it's corners crease into a barely noticeable smile (It looked quite comical). It had human expressions too! Wow!
I was cut off when it suddenly covered it's face with it's hands, grunting. I was about to ask him what happened when I saw the sunlight on his body. It was becoming day. Did it hate the light?
Before I could do anything, it stumbled into the trees and foliage, not looking back once. I wanted to ran after it, but my heart told me I would see it again, just not today.
The forest was lit with early sky, and I had to go home. My parents would freak out If I wasn't there.
As I reached the edge of the woods, I turned back. In the distance, far away, I spotted it's ruby eyes watching me before they melted away into the dark.
I will never forget this encounter.
© Copyright 2016 Arctic (clank56 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085374-Encounter