*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085387-The-Cursed-Stone
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2085387
Evalyn Walsh McLean suffers an unfortunate life due to an expensive piece of jewelry.
         Evalyn Walsh McLean sat at the table with her husband Ned. Evalyn and Ned were both crying.

         I've called the funeral home, Ned."

         "That's good," he said, as if not listening.

         "So it's done," Evalyn whispered, then she rose and walked out of the room.

         Evalyn walked through her estate, tears streaming down her face. She threw her shawl onto her couch and continued upstairs. In her room, Evalyn unclasped her necklace that was hanging from her neck. It's massive blue diamond glittered in the light as she put it back into it's box in the closet.

         Ned came into the room as Evalyn was exiting the closet.

         "It's that abominable necklace, Evalyn. That necklace is why Vinson is gone from our lives."

         "I won't have it, Ned," Evalyn shrieked, "there is nothing cursed with my necklace. I paid a pretty penny for it and I won't be tricked into giving it up. Vinson suffered in a horrible accident, but it wasn't because of my fashion statement that caused it."

         "That necklace has had a terrible history, and now it wreaking havoc in our own lives. You must return it to Mr. Cartier before anything else happens to us."

         Evalyn went back into her and came out with the diamond around her neck.

         "See how splendid this looks on me, Ned? No - I will not return it, and, in fact, I'll keep it on just to spite you," and with that, Evalyn removed herself from the room, Ned in her wake. Before she could fully get away from the room, Ned was on her.

         "Don't go down, there," Ned said as Evalyn was going down the steps, "You won't like what you see, I promise."

         "Oh, posh," Evalyn said, as Ned tried to push up the steps. "Oh, stop it," Evalyn laughed, although she was just a bit curious as to why Ned was so reluctant to let her downstairs.

         However, what Evalyn found in the kitchen was just as shocking as she had ever seen. Sitting like she owned the house was a slim, but very ugly, woman. Evalyn stopped dead in her tracks while Ned hung back like a wounded dog.

         Evalyn turned to face Ned. "Who is this," she spat.

         "A friend," Ned murmured.

         It was obvious.

         "Our son passes," Evalyn yelled, "and then you're unfaithful to me?"

         "We're only friends," Ned said.

         "No. That's a lie, Ned. Why is this whore even in my home?" she shrieked. "Both of you get out now."

         "But, Ev. . ."

         "Just shut your trap, Ned and go."

         Ned and the woman fled from the front door and Evalyn went to her bedroom and cried. Her son and husband- gone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------


         The next morning, Evalyn woke up and her hair fell to the floor. Probably because of all the stress she had.

         The phone began to ring and she answered.

         "Hi, this is Evalyn McLean," she said, sighing.

         "Oh, Ms. McLean, I have such terrible news for you. Your husband Ned was found last night with a certain Ms. Douras. They were found and were highly intoxicating and roaming the streets late at night. I have just called to inform you that your husband has been taken to Sheppard and Enoch Pratt Hospital for evaluation."

         What do you mean by that?"

         "Your husband, Ms. McLean is considered unstable and may be a danger to himself and others."

         "So he's going to be locked up?" Evalyn asked, cheering internally.

         "We're not sure yet, but we will inform you as soon as new information arises."

         "Alright, then."

         The call ended and Evalyn danced around the room. Her no-good, backstabbing husband was crazy! He'd be locked up. Good riddance.

         She thought back to her diamond necklace. How was Ned getting institutionalized a bad thing?

© Copyright 2016 Ppcarrio (trimmens at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2085387-The-Cursed-Stone