*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086601-Maintenance
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2086601
Three Minute Read
Maintenance

Alex had been lucky to get this job. The elderly apartments were so close to the school, and there was quiet time, when his chores were done, to do his school work. Plus, there was Jeremy, the day custodian.

Over the past three years, he and Jeremy had become close. Alex thought he would be all business, older guy telling the newbie what to do. People tended to treat foster kids strictly. But, from the first day they met, Jeremy treated him like an equal. More than an equal, it was like getting a real friend, something Alex had never had. Jeremy had only gotten angry at him once, when Alex forgot to check the maintenance basket and Mrs. Trent’s water was off all night. Jeremy lectured him severely that day saying how these people depended on them, some had reverted back to childhood, they had to be the grown-ups. Never mind that Jeremy himself was older than many of them.

Over time, Jeremy started texting him during the day with things he didn’t want to forget. Then he began texting fun things, jokes or anecdotes from the day. Last week he’d texted that he’d put up a pin-up calendar, then laughed and laughed when Alex saw the “pin-up” pictures of kittens dressed as firefighters.

Jeremy hadn’t texted today. Sometimes he was really busy, but Alex hurried anyway, just to set his mind at ease. He suddenly realized how important Jeremy had become to him, like family. In three short years, Jeremy had shown him the kind of man that he himself wanted to become.

Alex found him, sitting in his favorite chair, mop in hand, even smiling. For the first time in his short life, Alex’s heart broke, but there was nobody there to fix it.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2086601-Maintenance