*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088485-Hero-in-Disguise
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #2088485
He looked in the eyes of a hero every day. But he didn't know it until that fateful day.
Hero in Disguise.

He looked in the eyes of a hero every day. But he didn't know it until that fateful day. He was sitting in class coping notes off the board when he heard the sound of an airplane flying near them. At first no one was alarmed it wasn't unusual to have airplanes fly over their school. It wasn't flying over it was just getting louder and louder. Out of curiosity the boy stood from his seat and looked out the window. To his horror a plane was coming straight at them at an alarming speed. He yelled and dove to the flour, his class mates did the same, the air was filled with the horrible noise of an airplane being ripped apart and crashing yards from the classroom. For a second there was silence then screams filled the air. The girl on the floor in front of him started crawling to the door. The boy grabbed her ankle making her look at him in irritation. “Where do you think you’re going?” He whisper yelled at her. He did no why he was whispering in the middle of all this but for some reason it felt right. “I’m going to help.” She said yanking her foot from his grasps and moved swiftly to the door. As she disappeared through the door the boy still laid on the floor wonder in if the girl was brave or just really stupid.

Meanwhile outside the girl ran to the flaming carcass of the plane. At first it seem like there was nothing for her to do. Then she herd screaming from a small part of the plane that had been ripped from the main cabin. She ran to the screaming. She saw a young girl around 12 the same age as the girl from the class was. “What’s your name.” the girl from the class said trying to sooth the screaming girl. “Hannah.” She finally stopped screaming. The girl from the class started to undo Hannah’s seat belt. “I’m going to get you out alright, Hannah.” Hannah nodded and looks at her mother in the seat next to her. Her mother looked dead to the girl from the class. “What about my Mom?” Hannah asked. The girl didn't have the heart to tell Hannah and she hope that she was wrong. “I’ll come back for her.” She promised. The girl pulled Hannah from the wreckage with effort. After getting her a safe distance away. The girl went back for Hannah’s mother like she had promised.

In the class the boy stood from on the ground and looked out the window for the girl. He saw her running back to the flaming wreckage. Also from the window he could see the other rescuers yelled for people to move away because the plane was about to explode. He went to the door to warn the girl himself seeing no one else had noticed her. He was too late as he opens the door the explosion went off shutting the door and flinging the boy backwards.

He stood on the white sand still in his suit.
He watched the setting sun dipping under the horizon.
“Christian”
Hannah said coming up behind him. He turned to look at her.
“Lucy was a Hero.”
Hannah told him. He knew that. He saw firsthand what Lucy had done.
But he couldn't help remember the Lucy that jumped at the slightest sound.
Or the Lucy who was afraid of storms.
He never thought that Lucy could be a hero, that she could be braver than him.
She was a Hero in Disguise.
Now an Angel.
© Copyright 2016 Mickey Wolf (mickeywarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088485-Hero-in-Disguise