*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2091567-Home-of-the-White-Dolphin---Segment-05
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Novel · Action/Adventure · #2091567
Chapters 21 thru 25
Chapter 21
January 13, 1846 – Around 20 miles closer to Derbyshire


“You slut,” shouted Jane, furiously launching herself across the carriage at her sister. “So you couldn’t keep your legs together long enough for me to have him.” Before either Elizabeth or Mitchell could react to this verbal assault, Jane’s sharp fingernails raked the unscarred side of Elizabeth’s face.

Elizabeth wailed at this unexpected pain, but Jane continued with her attack. She immediately swung a fist at her sister’s face. When she connected with Elizabeth’s nose, it added more blood to that already dripping from the deep scratches. Jane yelled at her sister, “You were just supposed to be governess to my children, not bed the men around me.”

She grabbed Elizabeth’s hair and yanked as hard as she could, all the while continuing to scream, “I told Father I didn’t want you with me. He threatened not to let me marry Ronald if I insisted on going without you.” Jane laughed hysterically when she continued, “Did you know Father is remarried by now? He told me his new wife wouldn’t want you, a spinster stepdaughter, living with them.”

After that first involuntary cry, Elizabeth made no more noise, just tried to fight off her sister’s blows. When only a few years old, she had learned Jane’s sadistic pleasure increased when hearing her victims’ shrieks of pain. Tears mingled with blood, but still Elizabeth refused to give her sister any satisfaction for her brutal attack.

Mitchell recovered his wits and grabbed Jane around her waist. It took all his strength to pull her off Elizabeth and bodily force her to the floor of the carriage. When she tried to get back up after biting him, he had no choice but to slam his fist into her jaw, rendering her instantly unconscious.

“My god, what got into your sister?” Mitchell stepped over Jane’s prone body and sat down next to Elizabeth. Taking a handkerchief from his jacket, he tried to stop the flow of blood from the scratches on her cheek. Her nose already had stopped bleeding, but her bruised and swollen face attested to the vicious blows of the last couple minutes. “Elizabeth, I never gave your sister any encouragement at all. Why would she behave as if I did?” He continued to wipe her face while waiting for an answer that didn’t come.

When he finally noticed Elizabeth’s silence, he saw her mouth moving with no words emerging. She was looking past Mitchell, and he realized she didn’t see him. When she did eventually force out a sound, Mitchell grabbed her shoulders. He pulled her face tightly against his shoulder, trying to muffle what resembled the terrified whimpers of a tortured child.

It took long minutes before Elizabeth became quiet and pushed herself away from Mitchell. “Father, I don’t know what I did wrong, but I know my behavior was inexcusable. Jane was right to beat me since she was just doing what you do when I’m bad.” Elizabeth moved away from Mitchell, folded her hands in her lap, and lowered her head in shame. “She didn’t have your cane, so she had to use her hands to punish me. I will try to do better, Father, I really will.”

Elizabeth slowly raised her head, and Mitchell realized she didn’t recognize him. Her mind was still somewhere in the past.

Chapter 22
October 31, 2008 – In Edith’s suite of rooms


Sitting on the living room sofa was Robyn, the mansion’s northern California recruiter. She was holding the source of the loud noise, rocking the bundle gently back and forth.

“Well, Walker, come meet your newest resident,” she called out, trying to be heard over the loud crying. “Oh, hello, Samantha. I didn’t see you hiding behind him.”

Samantha pushed her way past Walker and headed for the sofa. “Hello yourself, Robyn. I wasn’t hiding. Walker was just being overprotective, as usual.” She reached the sofa, sat down beside Robyn, and gently pulled back the little yellow blanket covering the sobbing baby.

Walker glanced over at Edith, both of them worried how Samantha would handle being this close to a newborn. “Why didn’t you warn me?” whispered Walker to his mother. “I could have kept her away until I…” He stopped, not knowing what he could have done to keep her out of the room.

“Walker, come and see the baby.” Robyn was able to lower her voice when speaking to him. The baby was no longer crying and was reaching one tiny hand up toward Samantha. “I’d like you to meet Genji Hua. I’m told that’s Chinese for golden blossom.”

Walker came closer and knelt on the floor in front of Robyn to see the baby better. “She’s beautiful, Robyn. Where did you get Genji?” He looked over to gauge Samantha’s reaction and felt relieved to see her smiling over at the baby. Robyn shook her head, nodding at Samantha. Walker got the hint and kept quiet.

“May I hold her?” begged Samantha. After Robyn handed the baby to her, Samantha leaned back on the sofa and started making cooing sounds.

Walker couldn’t help grinning since this was something he’d never thought to hear from Samantha. He got to his feet and walked with Robyn back to the kitchen where Edith was pouring coffee into mugs. “Okay, Robyn. I gather Genji’s story isn’t a happy one.”

Robyn took the mug Edith handed her and took a sip of the hot beverage before answering. “It isn't. I was sitting on the hotel’s porch in Willits relaxing one afternoon with a drink when I noticed someone walking off in the distance. The person tried to stay in the shadows, but I could see it was a woman. She had something in a basket, what I didn’t know at the time. Because of the furtive way she was behaving, I decided to follow her. She never saw me as she disappeared into some trees. When she came out on the other side, I was too far behind her to stop what she did.”

Stopping to drink some more coffee, Robyn stalled for time. When she started speaking again, Walker understood why she didn’t want Samantha to hear. “Not too far from where the woman was standing, I could see the tracks of the Skunk Train, the tourist train that runs from Fort Bragg all the way to Willits and back. I could hear the train heading our way on one of its daily trips. From the sound of it, the train was close, very close.”

Robyn closed her eyes, trying to block out the memory of what happened next. “When I saw the woman put the basket down between the rails, I started running, screaming at her to stop.” Robyn’s voice lowered almost to a whisper. “She turned, saw me, and took off running up the track heading for the oncoming train. By the time she disappeared around the bend, I was racing toward the basket as fast as I could, horrified at what I knew what must be in the basket. The sound of the train came nearer and nearer, and my legs seemed to be moving in slow motion.

“Just as the train rounded the bend heading right for me, I managed to reach the basket and grabbed the handle. With one last burst of energy and with only seconds to spare, I jumped out of the path of the racing train and rolled onto the grass on the other side.” At this point, Robyn stopped to see if Walker and Edith understood what she was saying. They did.

Walker asked her, in a voice that shook a bit, “What about the Genji’s mother? What happened to her?”

Chapter 23
October 31, 2008 – In Edith’s suite of rooms


Robyn made sure Samantha couldn’t hear before finishing Genji’s story. “After the train passed, and when I could get my shaking legs to move properly, I carried the basket up the track in the direction I’d seen the woman running.” Robyn took a deep breath. “I was expecting to see a mangled body on the tracks when I walked around the bend, but nothing!”

“Nothing?” Walker asked, “Could the train have carried the body along with it?” He winced at the thought, but knew such a thing might be possible.

Robyn shook her head. “No, and after I contacted the Willits police, they checked up and down the line for miles. They found no woman, alive or dead, and figured she jumped off the tracks before the train reached her. She just disappeared leaving only the basket with the baby inside as evidence she ever existed.” Robyn took a piece of paper out of her pocket and handed it to Walker. “I found this at the bottom of the basket underneath Genji.”

Walker unfolded the paper to reveal a typewritten birth certificate from a San Francisco Hospital. “The mother’s name is smudged,” he said after examining the certificate, “and there’s no father listed. Oh, I see where you got Genji’s name.” He gave the certificate to Edith to read.

“Okay, Robyn, I have only one more question. Why bring her here instead of over to Hannah’s Home?” He smiled when he saw how relaxed Samantha was with the baby. “Not that I’m complaining since Genji seems to be working miracles with Sam.”

Robyn saw Walker wasn’t annoyed or upset with this breach in protocol. One of the rules for when children first arrived was to have them checked in at Hannah’s Home by one of the staff. In this way, that staff member could immediately start the paperwork required by law. “Well, Walker, I did get to the front door and heard this racket going on inside.”

“Our Halloween party!” Walker said, remembering the noise made by the children caused by Sophie’s fan-dancing routine.

“I decided not to bring the baby in since she’s just gone to sleep, and thought maybe Edith wouldn’t mind if we stayed with her for a couple hours.” Robyn knew she’d done the right thing when Walker nodded his understanding.

“So, ladies, why don’t we join Sam,” he said, heading back toward the living room. “I think it’s my turn to hold my newest child, don’t you?”

When they were all seated and Walker took Genji from Samantha, Robyn suddenly thought of something. “Walker, what’s this Edith has been telling me about a couple books you recently got in a box from your old home? I’d love to read them after you finish, if I could.”

Handing the baby back to Samantha, Walker stood and started for the apartment’s door. “I’ll go get them now.” He turned to grin at them. “Oh, by the way, I think Genji needs changing.” Before they could respond, he was out the door and on his way up to his own apartment.

When he returned with the two books less than 10 minutes later, Genji had been changed by Robyn, fed a warm bottle of formula by Edith, and burped by Samantha.

Chapter 24
January 27, 1846 – Days later, halfway through the journey to Derbyshire


After Mitchell yanked Jane from the carriage floor and tossed her to the seat opposite to her sister, he turned his attention back to Elizabeth. He finished wiping the blood off her face, avoiding as much as possible the blank stare in her eyes.

For the next few days, he waited for sanity to return to the brutalized 16-year-old, losing more hope with each passing day. Her behavior alternated between the innocent happiness of a toddler to frightened sobs and pleas for the pain to stop.

At those times, Mitchell would wrap his arms around Elizabeth, trying to ease her phantom pain. “Please, baby, you’re safe now. Nobody will hurt you ever again.” For days, Mitchell made this promise over and over again, hoping the message would find its way through.

Meanwhile, Jane completely ignored her sister and spent most of the long days primping and talking nonstop. It was as if her attack on her sister never happened. Each evening when they stopped at a coach house, Atwood and Robbie spent the nights out in the stables near the horses. Jane would disappear into one of the two rented rooms, while Mitchell always brought Elizabeth into the second room with him.

* * *


After the attack, he decided never to leave Elizabeth alone with her sister. When he closed the door that first night, Mitchell tried to fight against the strong surge of lust he felt. He hadn’t realized how difficult it might be to sleep in the same bed with Elizabeth and not give in to his body’s sexual urges.

“Can you help me off with my clothing, please?” he heard her childlike voice ask. “I can’t reach the buttons.”

Mitchell closed his eyes for a few seconds, fighting even harder and knowing it would be a losing battle. He moved Elizabeth’s long hair out of the way and slowly unfastened the top buttons at the back of her frock. His fingers brushed against her exposed soft skin when he pushed the two sides of the neckline apart.

“Forgive me, little one,” Mitchell whispered, while continuing more quickly to undo the remaining buttons. When finished, he frantically pulled the frock off over her head. This left her dressed only in a beautiful pink chemise. The sheer undergarment quickly landed on the floor with the frock. Elizabeth stood there wearing only her buckled shoes and white cotton stockings secured at her knees by dainty pink garters.

Never taking his eyes off Elizabeth’s naked body, only inches away from him, Mitchell undid his shirt and added it to the pile on the floor. After kicking off his boots, this left him wearing only his britches. Mitchell pulled the unresisting young girl against him, feeling like the bastard he actually was by birth. His hands went around Elizabeth’s slender body to caress her rounded buttocks. With a groan of defeat, he swept her up in his arms and walked over to the nearby bed. “It’s late, baby girl, time for bed. I promised not to hurt you, and I may have to break that promise just this once.” Placing her down in the middle of the bed, he knelt on its edge and began to unbutton his britches. Mitchell’s hands slowed when he looked over and saw Elizabeth’s trusting smile. Her next words stopped his hands and filled him with horror.

In her little girl voice, she asked, “Are you one of Father’s friends?” Elizabeth kept looking at Mitchell, never losing her smile. “He told me to be good to his friends, that they’d only touch and not hurt me like they do to….” She broke off, the child inside suddenly remembering that talking to the strange men angered her father.

Chapter 25
October 31, 2008 – In Edith’s suite of rooms


“Okay, Robyn,” asked Walker, holding out the two books to her. “Which will it be? Mitchell Whiting’s log or Elizabeth Templeton’s diary?”

Samantha quickly spoke up when Robyn reached for the log. “I wouldn’t if I were you, Robyn. That man is extremely crude, and he’ll make you blush.” When Robyn laughed and took the proffered log anyway, Samantha shook her head, but said nothing more.

“Samantha, I don’t shock easily.” Robyn said this and opened the log. She found a bookmark at the next unread entry, dated January 28, 1846. Without any hesitation, she began reading out loud, “It’s been a week since the attack.” Robyn looked up from the log, “What attack?”

“Keep reading,” suggested Walker. “This is the first time Mitchell mentions one, but maybe he’ll write more about it.”

Robyn agreed and went back to reading. “After hearing her talk about her father and the strange men that way, I knew I couldn’t plow her sweet field tonight like I wanted.” The puzzled expression on Robyn’s face mirrored those of the other two women, all wondering what strange men Mitchell meant.

Walker immediately understood something bad had happened to Elizabeth. He reached over and took the log from Robyn. “Ladies, I’d better be the one to read what Mitchell writes from now on.” Instead, he handed Elizabeth’s diary to Robin and continued reading the log to himself. “After relieving myself with Mrs. Palm and her five daughters, I simply held Elizabeth for hours and tried not to hear that little girl voice.

“In the small hours of the morning, I felt myself having trouble ignoring the naked sleeping girl cuddling up so close to me. My fingers began searching in that dark fuzz between her legs. Before I knew it, my thoughts went to riding her doggy style and trying not to wake her. I even turned her over on her stomach, ready to go.” Walker was glad he wasn’t as easily shocked as the women might be. That poor girl to be at the mercy of this bastard.

“Walker, what’s wrong?” Edith never had seen that expression on her son’s face before. “You look like you could wring someone’s neck and enjoy doing it.”

Walker calmed down, not wanting to upset his mother. “It’s nothing, just something he wrote.” He closed the log, leaving the bookmark in place for when he felt able to read more.

Earlier, Edith had explained to Robyn how the books came into Walker’s possession, and now she asked what nobody had thought of before, “Walker, how did your adoptive parents originally get these two books? Are either Mitchell or Elizabeth related to them?”

Continued in next segment
 Home of the White Dolphin - Segment 06  (GC)
Chapters 26 thru 30
#2091569 by J. A. Buxton
© Copyright 2016 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2091567-Home-of-the-White-Dolphin---Segment-05