*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093093-The-Letter
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2093093
Three Minute Read
The Letter

“It was a joke! I thought you’d know that right off! Honest, it was a joke. It was stupid, I see that now, but when I thought it up it seemed so funny,” Dan looked at Cynthia, hands outstretched, eyes pleading, “Come on Honey, it was a stupid joke!”

Cynthia looked at her husband, then at the page in her hand. “So, who wrote this?” she asked.

“Bill at work, we cooked it up together, I knew you’d recognize my writing. He thought it was a hoot too. I should have known if Bill thought it was funny it wasn’t, but it just seemed so funny. I shoulda thought more, you know how I don’t think things through sometimes. Honey honest, I never thought you’d actually think I would cheat on you, come on. You know me, you know I’d never cheat on you. Honey, I’m sorry, so sorry! I’m a jerk.

“So who’s Tina?”

“I don’t even know anybody named Tina. It was just a stupid joke. I am so sorry, stupid and sorry.”

Cynthia looked at her husband, “Go, go to work. I need some time to forgive you for this.”

Dan, sighed. He tried to kiss her goodbye but she wasn’t ready for that. He left.

On the road he called Bill, “It worked. She’s mad as hops but really thinks it was a stupid joke. I’m going to kill Tina when I get ahold of her, what was she thinking!”

Back in the kitchen Cynthia called Susan. “Thanks Susan, your letter worked just like I thought it would. Tina’s in for a bad day, but at least Dan won’t be thinking about me. I can switch over all the bank accounts and be gone before he gets the divorce papers, that lying, cheating jerk.”
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093093-The-Letter