*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093297-Rock-Climbing
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2093297
Flash Fiction
Rock Climbing

The snake was hungry. Having usually found food by now he was also getting frustrated, though he didn’t know it. Snakes are pretty simple creatures. Wake up, move, eat, sunshine, regulate temperature, keep from getting eaten, basic snake thoughts. Frustration, not so much. But this snake was frustrated.

As he’d moved along his route he’d found nothing to eat. It was like he’d gone into a grocery store and all the shelves were bare. If a snake’s tummy could grumble, his would be grumbling. In his mind though, he was just looking for food and grumpy about it.

He came to a pile of rocks he’d seen before. Today he looked at it with hungry eyes and thought, there were a lot of hiding places for food in there.

He got on top of the first few rocks fairly easily but then he came to a much bigger rock. He tried several methods, writhing and rising, trying to cling to the imperfections in the rocks sides, finally managing to get on top. He looked around, this was neat!

As he scaled the tower of rocks, one by one, he began to feel excited, it was fun! He almost forgot he was hungry.

Finally making it to the top, he looked over the other side. Flowers, trees, a house. As he gazed in amazement at this strange landscape, a giant, hairy head rose up out of the flowers. Huge eyes looked at him and then the giant head screamed! “Snake!”

He bolted back down as fast as he could, hitting the ground slithering! Stopping to rest, he finally found some food. Having fixed that problem, he lay there thinking about the rocks. They were scary, hard work; giant, loud, hairy monsters at the top…

He was definitely going back tomorrow!
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093297-Rock-Climbing