*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093538-Name-Unknown---Chapter-2
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Drama · #2093538
Reviews please!
D woke up and instantly let out a little cry. Her legs felt as stiff as a board and too heavy to move. In the corner of her eye, she saw a tall hooded figure running out the bridge and towards the light of the city. Lyn was following them, screaming at a pinch that only a wolf would respond to. The pain was intense and hard to ignore but she had to stay composed. She sat up and looked at the red, sticky mess oozing from her wounds. Her jeans were ripped and frayed, parallel to the slash across her legs. There was so much blood, so much... pain. After realising the the figure was far out of her reach, Lyn stopped and started to walk back.
"Lucky for him, he got away...oh my god!" Lyn grabbed an old, dirty t-shirt lying within arms length and tightly wrapped it round one leg. The t-shirt had a picture of the devil on it, smiling insanely. She felt relieved when the blood distorted the image. Her other leg had stopped bleeding.
"Elevate your leg. Here, put it on my shoulder. It will help." She did as she was told. Lyn's shoulder was so small, she was afraid to hurt her.
"You left leg isn't as badly hurt because of the way you were cut. The guy ran outwards you and sliced your leg with a knife as he ran. Your left leg was the second leg he caught as the guy started to straighten up to run away, he didn't cut it as much. He got your right leg bad though."
"Who would do this? Another homeless person maybe?"
"Normally I would say yes but I saw the knife. It wasn't a chiselled piece of street crap, it was a brand new knife. I don't know many people who carry them They sell for a lot round here. My bet? A cop."
Oh my god. Oh my god. Calm down, just stay fucking calm.
"Why do you think it's a cop?"
"Because the cops round here don't like us. We don't trust us. That's another rule. Never talk to a cop unless you have a mighty good reason. Reporting a crime is not a good reason. People round here find out your a snitch? Your life won''t be worth living."
This isn't happening. Not the police. It can't be the police.
"You got it. Who would even do that?" D replied, trying to fit in.
"Normally it's Graders. Guys further up the food chain who get to big for their boots. Normally it's to extort or blackmail them. It's almost never newbies, they are too afraid of putting a foot wrong."
"Graders?"
"What?!" Lyn said, shocked. Her face was dramatically changed, she looks like she is about to go into a rage.
"You just described them as graders." She says nervously. "I am just curious as to what a grader is."
"Just a term for people who have been outsiders for a while. Never mention that phrase to anyone, got it?"
"Got it." Confused, D makes a mental note of the word for further use. Graders
Lyn suddenly seems anxious. Her eyes wander around her fast, trying to look anywhere but into D's gaze. Her breathing seems controlled and has noticeably just gotten louder.
I wonder. I wonder. I wonder.
© Copyright 2016 Hiding the Unseen (stephwest at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093538-Name-Unknown---Chapter-2