*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093553-On-The-Verge
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2093553
Kane & Emily must return the parcel to its owner. But, they are being chased down for it.
We would never make it before dusk. The sun had already begun to slowly dim and dip closer to the horizon. Holding the parcel in one hand, we galloped across the pedestrian strip. And there it was, the phone once again going off furiously for the fifth time within the past hour.
“Kane, don’t…” Emily whispered as she tugged my hand away before it could reach the pocket.
None of this would have happened if it wasn’t for her. If only I hadn’t given in to those blue marbled eyes. The way they reflected and glistened upon you made it hard to concentrate on the words that came out of her mouth.
“I can’t take this anymore…” was the sentence that played out in my head but left her looking puzzled as all I could voice out were grunts and mumbles followed by a firm grasp for my phone.
“Hello...?” I trembled at the thought of the other end of the line.
“Your time is almost up,” the man sounded as if he had just swallowed a motor engine.
“Please, give me more time!”
“I am not calling to negotiate, 6pm and no later. Why don’t you spend your time wisely instead of asking for more?” the man growled back, giving no room for discussion.
Before I could confront him about the time wasted for calling me, the screeching, monotonous note abruptly cut me off as the man had decided he had heard enough.

I carefully opened and peered into the parcel only to immediately shut it tight again. Was this really worth all the hassle? The GPS put me at doubt and told me otherwise; with over 10km to go in less than an hour, things weren’t looking too great even for someone who recently broke the school record for the 1500m running race. Especially with Emily by my side. Now don’t get me wrong here, this has got nothing to do with her size. She’s actually quite the opposite. Being slim and petite was one of the many reasons I fell in love with her in the first place. Though, I wouldn’t call her the most coordinated person out there. None of this would have happened if it wasn’t for her. If only I hadn’t given in to those blue marbled eyes…


TO BE CONTINUED...
© Copyright 2016 mysteryanonymous (xunknownx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093553-On-The-Verge