*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2095838-The-first-Steps
by Ajeno
Rated: E · Short Story · Personal · #2095838
A story about a boy with autism
Duncan is sitting on his balcony wondering what he is going to do today, looking at the clock he notices that it's in the afternoon, all he did so
far after waking up was staring at the sky. 'I should do something, I haven't done anything the entire afternoon.' After an hour Duncan comes up with an idea. 'Maybe I can write a story, I have plenty ideas. And it would do me good.' Duncan says to himself, he grabs his favorite pen and a pile of paper. Duncan prefers to write on paper, it makes him feel he connects with the world. Duncan sits down at his desk and closes his eyes. 'I want something nice, something I can relate to as a creator.' Duncan thinks. 'Boy, this isn't easy, I can't come up with any ideas.' Being impatient was a trait Duncan often shows. Duncan always feels that he is supposed to be good at everything he just started, though that was never the case, It was a facade, a way to hide his flaws from himself.

'I've finally done it!' Duncan shouts. After many attempts there was a proper idea on paper. Duncan can't help himself but to be proud.Too proud as he's only at the beginning and here he is acting like he finished it, giving him too much of a good high only to crash with realization later, that could harm him mentally. But for Duncan this is a victory, he hasn't done much lately so he deserves to be thrilled.
'I hope I can keep this up, there is a lot of things that needs to be done'. Duncan grabs his totem and starts thinking, while slowly talking to himself. 'Now let's see, what else do I want?'
Words quietly appear on paper but after a few minutes in it stops, Duncan is unable to come up with more words to use. 'Not now, does it have to happen now?' Duncan asks himself.
Like clockwork Duncan's mind completely walls him, the idea in his head is gone.
For Duncan this is a substantial problem, as now that realization also pops in his head.
'Why am I even doing this?' Duncan sighs. 'I can't write, why did I even think I can do this in the first place?' All of Duncan impulses are gone, the only thing left to do is to stare at his totem.

After what feels like an eternity Duncan picks himself up, he finally regains control over his thoughts. Looking at the clock Duncan notices that it's almost five o'clock. 'Wow, is it really this late already?' Duncan asks himself. 'I wasn't aware I spend so much time on this already.' Duncan looks at his sheet of paper and sees that he only has a few lines of text.
'Better luck next time. At least I have a start, that's the most important part I can always continue from here, I should be proud.' Duncan thinks. With that in mind Duncan stands up and smiles. 'Well, it's time to get ready, I agreed to be there by six o'clock, I don't like to be late.' Duncan goes to the bathroom to get ready and after a few moments he leaves the house to meet his friend.
© Copyright 2016 Ajeno (tjido at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2095838-The-first-Steps