*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096537-The-Rhinehart
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Relationship · #2096537
Chapter 7.
Chapter 7


Saturday came all too fast, but the preparations had given everyone in the group an excited energy that had been lost in the last couple of weeks. Jen had easily changed shifts and by taking a short lunch was off at 1:30pm. Connie and Nomi were busy giving a last check to the gear before loading into Connie’s SUV, while Kyle was busy getting the baked beans and slaw together. Shannon had made fresh marshmallows after work Friday and had been given a generous amount of melting chocolate from Chef Vaughn to spread on the batch of graham wafers she was just pulling out of the oven. By spreading the chocolate over the cooling wafer, the end result would be ready to sandwich the fire-toasted marshmallow between. S’more perfection.

****

The trip up Tunnel Mountain took little more than half an hour and it was more than evident that Tyson had done his homework. The setting was spectacular. Majestic fir and pine surrounded the back and the sides where they trailed off down a gentle slope that ended in a dramatic bluff. The result was an open vista to the north and west, viewing Sulphur Mountain, the Bow River valley, and The Rhinehart nestled at the south end of Kennedy Lake. As promised, Tyson and Darren had been up the previous couple of days to ready the site and there were picnic tables and plenty of wood laid in.
They had ample room for the four tents that were set up in a semi-circle facing the campfire and tables. Connie and Nomi shared one, Jen and Shannon shared another. Tyson was in a smaller one-man, while Darren and Kyle shared the fourth. As with most National and Provincial campsites, there was a strict ban on alcohol consumption so the cooler of sodas and bottled water was set close at hand.
Kyle’s dinner fixings were the best, and all agreed that he had truly outdone himself. One of the best things about living in Alberta as well as almost anywhere in Canada was the wonderful summer climate, not to mention that as you got closer to the summer solstice the evening daylight just kept going on and on. By 8:00pm, the sun was just starting to edge its way over the western ridge of the Rockies. The boys announced that they were going to clear up and make the site ready for the evening campfire. The girls took this opportunity to make themselves scarce by heading off to the washroom facilities that were conveniently set a mere two hundred meters back down the road. They headed out, all full of excited chatter.
“I don’t know about you girls, but I’m having just the best time,” said Shannon. Connie linked arms with Nomi.
“And how’s our Miss Nomi doing?” Connie smirked. The girls just giggled as Nomi hung her head and tried not to meet their questioning taunts.
“And you Jen,” Connie continued, “I caught Tyson watching you when he thought you weren’t looking.” More giggling ensued. Glad that the focus had shifted, Nomi lifted her head and joined in the gossip.
“My God, Jen, He’s so gorgeous and totally hung on everything you say,” Nomi added.
“Totally hung, eh?” Shannon quipped. Nomi again shyly hung her head.
“Do you think so?” Jen asked, almost holding her breath waiting for their conformation. A resounding “Yes” from the rest of the group had them all in another fit of laughter.
After they finished up their washroom business, Connie spied a picnic table near by where they all grabbed a perch. Connie, sitting up top with her feet on the bench, opened a new line of conversation.
“This is so great. I think the boys had us figured and knew this would be just the ticket,” she said. All the girls agreed. Nomi took the ensuing pause to question Connie.
“Speaking of the boys, I’m sure we’ve all been wondering how things have been going with you and the owner of the Ridge. Carson, right?” Nomi asked.
“Carter. And yes, he definitely has potential.” Connie paused as she looked at Jen and decided to plunge in. “You know girls,” she continued, “Shannon and Kyle aside, I think we’ve all met guys recently who definitely seem to hold a lot of potential. Jen and I were talking the other night and I told her of an incident a few years ago with a guy that left me totally shaken. No details necessary, but the long and the short of it is that I should have told Jen about it. I guess where I’m going with this is…we trust our own instincts and ultimately make our own decisions. But I think I speak for Jen also when I say that there is no need to carry any burdens or doubts all by ourselves.” Connie stopped and gave the girls time to digest. Jen took the pause to pick up where Connie left off.
“Connie’s right,” Jen continued. “Nomi, you remember Matt?” She turned to Shannon, explaining, “He was a guy I broke up with late last fall. Anyways, I suspected months earlier that things were nowhere feeling right between us. Had I been able to confide in Connie at the time, I’m sure the damage would have been a lot less painful and drawn out.”
“Exactly,” continued Connie, “no one needs a blow by blow, but we need to stick together and have the comfort in knowing that we can count on each other. We are here to help when called on, or just to listen when that’s all that’s needed. The point is that there is nothing, absolutely nothing that is shameful or out of bounds.” She looked hard at Nomi, then over to Shannon, and back to Nomi. “OKAY girls?”
“Okay” both Shannon and Nomi mumbled. Suddenly, Nomi looked around, somewhat confused.
“Is there something going on?” Nomi asked. “What am I missing? You’re not trying to tell me there’s something I should know about Darren are you?” Jen reached over and put an arm around Nomi, drawing her near.
“Oh, I think for now this is mainly about Connie,” Jen said.
“Yes, I guess in a round-about way it is about me for right now,” Connie confessed. “And I need your help. Shannon, even though you’re relatively new to our little group I feel like you’ve been apart of us forever. It’s really strange, but there it is.”
“I know, I feel the same,” replied Shannon.
“So that being said,” continued Connie, “here’s what’s going on. About two years ago, I had a fling with one of my top designers while on a buying trip. It was short-lived, but since then I’m pretty sure he took up with one of the models on the circuit. During the show in Rio, he was obviously looking to move on and was blatantly using me as a buffer. At the same time, the general attitude was that I was obviously the reason for their troubles. Not that I‘m naive…but I must confess that it took me a while to figure out why I was suddenly on the outs. What’s weighing me down now is the fact that the winter fashions are going to be coming out mid-June and I have another buying trip in just six weeks. I have to come up with an angle, and so far, I haven’t figured it out. I have to stay on reasonably good terms with my designer and at the same time be able to hold my own with minimum false speculation among the industry. So there you have it. My dilemma in a nut shell. So…any input before I’m thrown back into the mess, would be much appreciated.” Connie checked her watch. She announced that they had been gone for almost three quarters of an hour and should get back.

Kyle and the boys greeted them with jibes, teasing them that they were getting ready to call out the bear patrol. The evening was simply wonderful. The boys had moved one of the tables closer to the fire pit, and set up camp chairs and log seating all around it. The glow from the crackling fire drew them all in, and it wasn’t long before the gentle banter had them enjoying the shared companionship. Kyle had made the most wonderful hot spiced cider. It was the perfect accompaniment to the s’mores. There were the usual squeals from the girls as the occasional marshmallow caught fire and were duly extinguished by one of the guys.
“Oh, the manly rescue,” Jen laughed as Darren grabbed hold of the flaming sugar bulb on the end of the willow that she was flailing frantically, trying to put out.
It was a pleasant surprise when Tyson came back from his truck and produced a guitar. He did a fair job of some well known country tunes. The group was met by an even bigger surprise when Nomi produced her ukulele. It was the perfect little guitar, just miniature. Most of the group had never seen a real one up close and were amazed at the quality workmanship that was apparent. Most impressive, however, was how proficient Nomi was at playing it. At first she was a bit shy, but once she and Tyson found their common niche it was amazing how well they meshed as a duo.
“I never took you for a Gordon Lightfoot fan,” said Tyson as he and Nomi finished up one of his many classics. Even better was the way Darren was transfixed on Nomi. You could feel the energy crackling between the two.

****
As the early morning dawn broke, Shannon lay motionless, drinking in the early morning sounds. It wasn’t long before she heard the slow unzipping of the flap of Kyle and Darren’s tent. A few minutes later, the gentle sound of Kyle digging out the makings for coffee was the signal Shannon was waiting for. Poking her head out the front of her tent she caught Kyle’s eye and gave him the ‘SHHH!’ signal. Joining him at the picnic table she leaned into him and whispered, “Morning Sunshine.” The smile crinkling at his beaming eyes warmed Shannon to her toes.
“I thought after the late night you’d maybe sleep in a bit,” Kyle said. Just at that moment, a pair of chipmunks scrambled down a large pine tree not ten feet away. They looped around the backside of the picnic table, suddenly reversing the chaser and chased, to double back the way they came.
“And risk missing all this action? Not on your life,” laughed Shannon.
Jen was amazingly refreshed as she wiggled out of her sleeping bag and pulled on her sweat pants. After a fast “morning” to Kyle and Shannon, she headed off to the far end of the campsite to take in the open vista the bluffs provided. One of Jen’s favourite aspects of her meditation practice, was standing meditation. With feet shoulder width apart and arms dangling at her side with her palms facing forward, she closed her eyes. The sounds sharpened and the smells heightened, as the gentle breeze washed over her, releasing her, as she bathed in the moment…to be replaced by another moment…upon another moment.

Tyson had actually been up for a good half hour before anyone else to check out the surroundings. It was still early in the season, but bears were always a concern. He had the greatest respect for the magnificent animals. As he rounded a large outcropping at the far end of the campsite, he came to an abrupt halt as he came upon Jen standing motionless. How serene and beautifully connected to her surroundings she appeared. After a few brief moments, sensing his presence, she broke her pose and turned to greet him.
“Tyson! Morning,” she said.
“Hi Jen. Didn’t mean to interrupt you.”
“Definitely no interruption. It’s just so beautiful.” Jen gave him a welcoming smile. As Tyson moved closer, he motioned to a low rock outcropping. They settled down to gaze in open awe and appreciation of the timeless beauty spread out before them. They sat quietly for quite some time with Tyson finally breaking the silence.
“All of this is like being home. It knows who you are,” he said.
“Exactly,” said Jen, slightly tipping her head back so the breeze caught her faint wisps of hair and moved them back off her face. “I remember when I was young and was in the midst of what seemed a monumental tragedy. My mom would always smile and call me ‘a little flee on a dog’. You know, as I grew older, Connie and I would come up to Banff to get away. I guess it wasn’t really getting away as much as coming into the fold. There really isn’t anything I know of that puts you and how small a part of everything you are into perspective. Totally humbling.” Jen held Tyson’s gaze, and the depth of his eyes spoke of his total understanding. Tyson reached over, gently picked up her delicate hand, placing it in his. No words were exchanged as, once again, they turned their gaze to the majesty before them.
© Copyright 2016 Gail Lindsay (the_rhinehart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096537-The-Rhinehart