*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2097191-Dog-Walk
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2097191
Flash Fiction
Dog Walk

At the park early with the dog, Maysie, and we seemed to be the only ones there. Across the open middle, all I saw were edges of green grass around billowing fog. I loved it. Our walks were for Maysie, but wandering around in the foggy, quiet solitude suited my mornings too.

We have some rules, not many. Maysie chooses the direction, I have veto power, but rarely use it. She is allowed to sniff at will. This drives my husband crazy when he comes along, so he seldom does… and then I have my “stop and go’s.”

I bring along doggie bags, of course, but also carry a supermarket bag. Using a doggie bag as a ‘glove,’ I pick up trash. I love the park so I like giving something back. Maysie had to be trained however, when I bend to pick up, she can unintentionally pull me right off my feet. She wants to go where she wants to go! So, we invented “Stop and go.” I say “stop and go” and she knows to stand still for a moment. Once I’m done I say “go” again and we continue.

That day as I reached for something, calling out “stop and go,” Maysie was distracted by her own agenda. Just as I grabbed the trash, she hit the end of the leash, hard, and my precarious position, plus her pull, created the perfect point for disaster. As soon as I hit the ground I knew I would not be getting up by myself.

So, right now I’m finding it delightful how much my sweet husband pampers me! Secretly, however, I believe it’s because he knows he will be taking the dog for her walk, every day, until my cast comes off…

The dog doesn’t look very happy either…
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2097191-Dog-Walk