*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2101886-A-Lady-Chained---Chapter-One
Rated: E · Fiction · History · #2101886
First chpter of an ongoing Victorian tragedy


“Mother, could you please pass me some salt?” I asked, always the pinnacle of politeness, much to her younger siblings’ chagrin. There was no keeping up with pretty, polite, perfect Lenore. For all the good it was about to bring me, I wished she’d been the most unruly brat my parents had ever seen. Perhaps they would not have found me suitable for the punishment they were about to inflict. “Oh, Lenore dear, your father and I need to talk with you, “ her mother said, a smile on her face. She’d no reason to think this to be anything but good news.
“We’ve solidified your marriage to Everette Ashdown! Isn’t that wonderful, honey?” Shock, I assume was the first emotion on my face, but after that, I felt myself scowl. Never one to go against my parent’s judgment, I had to question it now.
“Mother, I mean you no disrespect, but did you not think perhaps I wouldn’t like to marry Everette Ashdown? That perhaps I’d like to marry someone of my own choosing?” I pleaded with her, hoping solidified was not as intense a term as it had sounded.
“Dear why on Earth would you not want to marry Everette Ashdown? He comes from money, so he’d likely leave your birthright farm alone, and not to mention his handsome features. The man is quite fetching and bountiful. What more could you ask for?” my mother replied.
“Anyway Lenore it’s too late to back out now,” my father said, while chewing his meat. “I wouldn’t in my wildest dreams think of taking the offer back from Mr. Ashdown. The Ashdowns and the Delaneys have always been favored families by one another. This will just climb us further up the proverbial latter while taking care of the issue of marrying you off. You’re 17 now, it’s about time you got married.”
“I agree that it’s time I got married father, but I thought for sure you would let me choose my husband to be?”
“Bah, if we let you choose who you married you’d be off with that shepherd’s son Tristan. Listen, I know you fancy him now, but he’s not a good investment, Lenore. He’d be bringing no money, not to mention good standing, to the table. You women. Your hearts rule every damn thing you do. Think of the political power our families would hold if we joined them together. And if you’re insisting on running that farm without any slave labor, you’ll need a man that understands money. I’m sorry Lenore but this deal is final. You barely know the man - why not give him a chance?”
“Because father,” Lenore said now through tears, “because I don’t know him. I know Tristan. I know he is goodly and kind and would never treat me with anything but delicacy!” I was becoming extremely distraught as I realized there was truly no way out of this.
“Goodly and kind don’t put food on the table, dear,” my mother stated. “Besides, you need a good strong man who can fully support you when it’s time for us to be thinking about your own children!”
“I - I need to excuse myself,” I said, and without waiting for a reply, walk up to my room, sat on the floor, leaned my head on my knees, and cried.
© Copyright 2016 Christine DeLancey (christinedn30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2101886-A-Lady-Chained---Chapter-One