*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2102213-The-Scourge-Nanowrimo-2016
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2102213
"Why don't I call you One. Because you've always been alone."
         Radley James Burton II was turning 100 today. His kids had come to his home, their wrinkled faces mirroring his own. Their own offspring with children trailing behind them like ducklings, wary of this ancient stranger. Four generations, all gathered to celebrate Radley's life. What was the point, he thought, every year before this I have not celebrated the day I was born. Years become so pointless, when you've lived so many of them. Their ragged voices disturbed his thoughts and he turned toward them, his cool gaze unchanged from when they had been but children.
         His first daughter, Charla Rose Burton, was the mirror of his distanced gaze, and although she was turning 73 this year her beauty was unsurpassed. Thoughout her whole life she had remained unmarried, refusing to tie herself to a mate when she couold be just as happy alone. In her younger years she had been quite the heartbreaker, much like her great neice, Angelina. Radley's second girl was the most aged looking among the group, even though she was only 3 years Charla's younger. Grandine Marasia Thorty, was married when a teenager, causing her to birth 6 children, many of whom refused to visit her. She had eventually come to realize her mistakes in her long life and worked hard to influence her grandchildren to live more wise lives than she had.
         She has too many ideals, Radley thought, let them do as they please and make the same mistakes. If they are not smart enough to make good decisions on their own, let them experiance the consequences themselves.
         His youngest child, and the heir to the Burton estate, was his only son. Radley James Burton III was sometimes disadvantaged, having so many hopes placed on him from a young age. His parents not incouraging and expecting the worst, since their teenage daughter had gotten pregnant and married at the age of 17. However he was given the utmost job of fulfilling the Burton name. He had married at the age of 25 to a woman whom his parents deemed acceptable. And had lived his whole life trying to please his betters, although he had become quite the revolutionary in the buissness industry.
         Radley Sr. cleared his throat at the argueing adults in front of him and gestured towards the sitting room. Each person trailing after him, knowing it was unwise to dissobey, elseways they should recieve the painful snap of his cane on their back. His steps were slow, but not overly sluggish. His enemies had cursed his good health over the years. Their voices were quieted now, by the 6 feet of dirt piled on their bodies. Many assumed the man would live forever, his calculating and cold eyes cutting holes in their own. The old man sat in his reclining chair, not bothering to offer refreshments to his numerous guests. His children each took a seat on his couch while the younger people snagged chairs from the kitchen and their children sat on the floor. Radley turned his judging gaze to his grandaughter's fiance, appraising the man until his granddaughter scolded him, "Don't be like that Grandpa. You know I was going to get married some day."
He turned his face away from the male, ignoring his granddaughter's words, "Why did you all come here? You know I no longer celebrate birthdays."
Grandine smiled kindly, "Well we thought it should be special, y'know. Because you're hitting your double digits," she lifted the container she had been holding, "I even baked a cake. Carrot, your favorite."
Radley scoffed, "I don't like cake."
Grandine looked down sheepishly, although she was 70 years old she still reacted this way to her father's words. "And Junior, what are you doing? I heard Josephine divorced you. What did you do this time? I'm dissapointed in you."
         The others began murmuring, expressing their distaste at the man's seperation from his wife, or reassuring him of his lack of guilt. Radley James Burton II clear disgust at his family showed on his face, narrowed eyes and stiff body. Most of those in the room felt the same way about him, apprehention and fear of their powerful patriarc arching their backs. Arms were covered with goosebumps, children's eyes filled with unshed tears. Grandine attempted to calm the warring family members, "I'm sure it is not Junior's fault that Josephine and him divorced. I myself have done so and I know that is a very hard time to go through."
         Radley sat up straighter, a snake readying his fangs to sink into the next victim. His mouth opened barbed and poinsonous words on the tip of his tongue, when they sank back into his still opened mouth. He silently collapsed and many of those whom he had ruled over for many years gasped in shock as the old man, Sir Radley James Burton II fell down and died.
         After about eighty -four of these incidents scientists began investigating. It was found that in each of the cases the victims had died suddenely, bruises and spider veins appearing almost instantly upon their flesh. After 296 incidents they found that the person's blood cells were being effected by the disease. On the 1,354 victim they discovered the blood cells were simultanesly exploding. Each cell, all at once, destroying the body from inside out, destroying each organ in seconds. Following the millionth incident the scientists discovered the disease was airborn and masks had no effect, as it entered through a person's skin. As the death toles reached 789 million, the remaining scientists discovered there was no way tofind a cure for the disease before the world experianced dessimation. At the billionth death the government determined they would seal the future generation in cryogenic tubes, there destiny to repopulate in case of total extinction. Two months later, the world was empty, except for one.
         
© Copyright 2016 Zara Brecardo (gravity_piglet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2102213-The-Scourge-Nanowrimo-2016