*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2105725-The-Adventures-of-Kitten--Bear-Cub
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #2105725
The first story I wrote with my girlfriend. It's a short story for kids.
THE FIRST ADVENTURE




Once upon a time in the woods of your grandparent's time, there lived in a dark little cave a lonely bear cub. This poor bear cub had no family or friends. He lived completely alone. He would often wander around the woods to see where his momma was, but he could never find her. Bear cubs are social creatures and not meant to be alone, but needless to say, he was. He would go on little explorations in order to find things. Bear Cub was curious and liked to go exploring of new things. His nose would lead him wherever he went and one day his nose lead him to an amazing new place.

In the middle of the woods, there was the most splendid cave he ever saw. It went up and up and it had different looking colors. His nose smelled all sorts of interesting smells, including his favorite: Honey. He climbed up the staircase and poked his face at the glass pane of the house.

"Hmm. This place smells interesting," he thought. "Honey is inside and honey is my favorite food!"

He spied an open window and pulled his chubby body up and through it and begin to sniff around. This cave was so luxurious. The bears who lived here must be very rich or something to afford such a lovely cave. He pushed open a wooden door where some of the strongest smells were coming from. In the room there was a very elegant layout with a table, a bed, and food. This wasn't a bear cave, he thought. Humans must live here. He sniffed up at the bed where something was moving. He growled softly, trying to get this weird looking thing to move.

"What are you?" Bear Cub asked. "You don't look like anything I've ever seen before."

The animal on the bed looked down and let out an agitated meow before sitting up and beginning to clean itself.

"I'm a Kitten," she replied indignantly. "You're obviously not supposed to be in here. What are you?"

"I'm a Bear Cub. I came here because I smelled food. I'm very hungry, indeed."

The Kitten sniffed at him and repulsed immidiately.

"Ewww. You smell odd."

The Kitten retreated back to the bed and began cleaning herself. Bear Cub did not understand this, but nonetheless was unconcerned. He sniffed into the air and pulled a small pot from the corner.

"Honey's in here! You want some?"

"I should say not," she replied to him. "It's sticky and I like to keep my fur clean. The humans keep it in here. I don't know why."

"Humans are the strangest of creatures," Bear Cub replied. "Nothing they do makes sense."

Bear Cub lifted the pot to his face and licked up all the honey he could. The sticky, icky substance got all over his face and fuzzy fur. Once he had finished the honey, he smacked his lips in satisfaction and began sniffing again.

"Whatever are you doing now?" Kitten asked.

"The nose knows," he said. "I smell blueberries. I like all kinds of foods. Honey, blueberries, fish, garbage... Anything, really. It's all good for me."

"Oh yes, I like fish too. But none of that other stuff appeals to me," she said as she cleaned herself. "I like milk. I won't eat just anything."

Bear Cub found the blueberries and ate them all up getting the juice all over his face. Kitten was absolutely repulsed and jumped down onto the floor and began to clean his face and fur with gentle licking. He'll thank me later, she thought. He sputtered and rolled around laughing as she tried to clean him. She didn't understand this goofy thing.

"Excuse me," she said. "How am I to get you clean if you keep moving and giggling?"

"I can't help it! It makes me laugh," he giggled.

When she was through she nuzzled him and he gave her a friendly lick.

"Your fur is very soft," he said.

"Well, yours is very fuzzy," she said.

He nuzzled her and played with her tail.

"I like you very much. You seem nice..." Then he lost himself a moment. "That smell. It's very odd. What is it?"

He poked his face under the bed and pulled out a soft plush toy and sniffed it and sneezed, then he retreated away from it.

"That's not a nice smell at all," he said to Kitten. But she was no longer listening. "Kitten?... Kitten?... Kitten?" He poked her, hoping she'd acknowledge him, but she didn't. "Don't you like me anymore?"

But she was too busy to care. The toy was filled with catnip and all she wanted to do was play with it and sniff it. Her eyes widened as she began to play with the toy and let out soft, happy meows while Bear Cub looked on in great puzzlement. Finally, he began to cry softly, certain that he was no longer wanted around. Kitten heard him and began to blink and shake her head. She didn't mean to make him sad. It was just something that happened. She went over and nuzzled and sat next to him, purring softly.

"Don't cry, Bear Cub."

"I thought you didn't like me anymore."

"Oh no, Bear Cub. That's catnip. It just makes me so happy that I cannot think of anything else and I just want to play with it. I didn't mean to make you sad. I quite like you."

"I'm sorry. I just tend to think the worst. No one likes me. I've got no friends or family. Other Bear Cubs make fun of me and things like that," he sniffed. "All I want is a friend."

"A friend would be nice. I don't get along with other kittens. If you're willing to stay clean, I'll be your friend."

Bear Cub happily growled with joy and hugged Kitten tightly.

"Really?! Kitten, you are my best friend!"

"I like you, best friend, Bear Cub."

"Having friends is the most important thing in the world, I reckon," he said.

They snuggled down together to take a nap and Bear Cub sighed happily having met his wonderful new friend, Kitten.
© Copyright 2016 Lawrence Watson (drcynic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2105725-The-Adventures-of-Kitten--Bear-Cub