*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2106981-A-simple-short-story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing · #2106981
A girl thrown away in the garbage dump is raised by a stranger in far away town
Zana was a very beautiful girl; she had long dark curly hair, a brown complexion, brown beautiful eyes that dazzled every time she was happy, she was also petite. It was not only her features that were striking, so was her personality she had a heart of gold, a likeable presence which made everyone around her comfortable and an innocence she maintained despite her hardships.

Zana was abandoned as an infant but was lucky enough to find a woman who picked her up and raised her as her own. Her mother's name was Tabu, before she met Zana Tabu had been thrown out of her marital home because she couldn't conceive. Clueless as to where she would go, she took to the streets in deep thought and lament wondering why life had been so unfair to her. As she walked near a garbage dump, she heard an infant's cry and immediately rushed towards the direction of the noise. In between the garbage was a baby dumped in polythene bag, she was helpless and defenseless more than Tabu was. She had been thrown away by an ungrateful person, Tabu thought, seeing the baby like this moved Tabu and she grieved even more.

Tabu took off her sweater and wrapped the little one in it, she was an interracial child she thought, maybe a blend of an black and white person. Maybe the person was trying to cover up their shame. Up to date, Tabu couldn't understand how someone could be as cruel as to throw away an infant especially in such horrible conditions. There just wasn't enough reason for her as to why someone would do so, from that day she vowed to take care of the innocent soul she had rescued, give her a home and all her love.

It was 20 years since then, Zana and Tabu lived in a small and quiet community, tabu owned a jewellery store, it was the only store of that kind in the region. People would travel far and wide just to buy her unique jewellery, they would buy them as gifts, for important occasions and as souvenirs to take back home. Tabu had gone to the big city to study English and literature her dream was to become a teacher. During the holidays she would come back home to help her mother, this was one of those holidays she had come home.
Tabu was busy working in the store when zana comes in carrying her bag.
"Hey mum, you look as pretty as always" Tabu looks up and smiles lifting her hands for a hug.
"Zana! Sweetie, come here I wish you had told me you were coming"
"I wanted to suprise you, I haven't been to the house yet, figured you would be here."
"It's a pleasant surprise, how is school?"
"Hectic, am in my final year and there's still a lot to study. How are you?"
"Am doing okay, so is the store."
"Am volunteering at the local school as an English teacher, I'll head home and then to the school for a briefing."
"That sounds okay with me, so I'll see you later?"
"Yes mum, I'll go now." She picks up her luggage and starts to walk out, when she is at the door.
"Zana." She turns around, "am really proud of you." She smiles and nods her head.

A week had passed since Zana started volunteering at the school, she worked closely with Zahara, Zahara was Tabu's friend. She was very close with the family, Zahara had become a second mother to Zana, she was one of the reasons Zana decided to be a teacher. Zahara was a dark, tall , lady who wore short hair, was outspoken, strict and harsh but nonetheless kind. They were on lunch break at the school and the teachers were in the staffroom having their meal. Zana and Zahara were sitted in a corner having a conversation.
"Aunt Zahara, you're close friends with my mum. What do you know about our past, my father perhaps?"
"My dear that sounds like a conversation you need to have with your mother."
"Aunty I wish it was that easy, my mum avoids that discussion at all cost. I don't want to impose too much but I wish she would talk to me about it." She rubs her back and looks her in the eye speaking gently on a topic that she felt was delicate.
"All I remember was your mum arriving in this town with a little baby, she didn't have much on her. I took her in for a few days until she moved to her own home, your mother loves you. Keep persisting you'll eventually get the answers you want."
"I know she Love's me, thank you aunty Zahara." She rubs her hand.

Zana had always tried to bring up a conversation about her father but Tabu never met her with an answer. Today, she thought, it was the day she would get her answers. After school she went straight home and prepared a nice meal, her mother's favourite, rice and pork. Tabu arrives at 7pm just as her daughter was setting the table.
"It smells so nice, did you make pork and rice."
"Only for the best mummy ever."
"Thank you my dear, am fumished. I'll go take a bath and come down for dinner."
After a short while Tabu goes down stairs and they sits at the table for dinner. They silently have their meal and only speak once they are done.
" Zana am impressed, you've become a good chef. "
"I learnt from the best, mum I need to ask you something. Tell me about my dad."
"Is that a question or a demand! " Tabu retorts angrily, she stands picks up the plates and goes to the kitchen, Zana follows her determined to get answers.
"Mum, why are you defensive. Please am a grown up, mummy don't you feel I have a right to the truth." She says gently, Tabu ignores her and continues to wash the plates.
There is silence for a while, Zana holds Tabu's arm gently.
"Please mum." Tabu meets her with a slap on her face.
"Go to your room and stop disrespecting your mother!! "
"This isn't right mum." She says and goes to her bedroom as asked.
Tabu knew it wasn't right but her biggest fear was telling her daughter the truth. She had always been afraid of loosing her, she thought that once Zana found out the truth she would hate her for not telling her the truth or even worse she would stop seeing her as her mother. She knew that Zana was old enough but nonetheless Tabu didn't want to loose her, that kind of fear is what made her so defensive.

She sat at the dining table contemplating what to do next, she decided to go to Zana's room and talk to her. She enters the room and find's Zana lying on her bed.
" The door was wide open...." Her voice becomes inaudible as she mumbles afew other words. She eventually gathers the courage, "Sit up, we need to talk." She says calmly and goes to sit on Zana's bed. It had green sheets, a blue pillow and pillow case and a green duvet. The room was small and simple, neatly arranged, It had an inbuilt wardrobe, polished wooden floor and a small window with blue curtains, the wall was white in colour so as to illuminate the room.
"Mum am sorry I asked so many questions, it's fine if..."
"No Zana am sorry I slapped you, you've always been an obedient child, always reasonable, strong and mature, am blessed to have you. However this isn't my favourite topic." She sighs heavily.
"We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."
"You were right my dear it's your right, I need to tell you the truth."
"Okay mum, if that's your decision."
"I was once married to a violent man, he was violent towards me because I could not bare him children. One day he got tired of me and threw me out of our home, as I was walking near a dump site I had the cry of an infant. I rushed towards the direction where the voice came from, it was a girl she had just been thrown away in a polythene bag. She was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen, I took off my sweater, wrapped her in it and fled that town."
"So I was abandoned?"
"Yes, but then you became my gift, that's why I called you Zana you were my gift. When all hope was gone I found you."
"And now you are afraid you'll lose me or I won't view you as my mother."
"I am"
"You're my only family, am sorry you had to carry that burden with you, am sorry..."
"Stop being sorry, you are not at fault. Are you okay? How do you feel?"
"Am a little hurt but I have a parent, you're surely a mum and dad to me, I don't wish for more am blessed to have you, I love you mum. Thank you."
"I love you too dear, are you sure you're okay."
"Well if you'd left on the streets that day I wouldn't be, but am okay now." She says and laughs.
"Don't even joke about that."
"Oh mum, you're too serious laugh a little." Tabu holds her hand and they smile at each other. From that day Tabu learnt that she had a strong bond with her daughter and Zana knew she had been raised by an exceptional human being.



© Copyright 2016 jacqulinekay (jacqulinekay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2106981-A-simple-short-story