*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2108451-Halfway-Mark-Rising-Stars
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Espero
Rated: E · Assignment · Biographical · #2108451
My experience in Rising Stars so far.
It's hard to believe that we've already reached the halfway mark at Rising Stars, it seems the time has just flown by. Maybe that's because there is never a dull moment on writing.com. One of the things that made the time fly is the diversity of assignments we were given.

Shock doesn't describe what I felt when I was picked to be in the Rising Stars program after such a short time in writing.com. I truly felt that it was an honor and I thank Lornda for the opportunity. One thing that impresses me most is the fact that everyone seems to want everyone else to do well. Yes, it's a competition but there is no end to the encouragement we get from fellow candidates.

I've found the program to be challenging. There have been moments of pride, panic, and frustration but I've already learned so much more than I knew before. I don't know what reward the moderators receive, if any, but I'm sure it's not enough for all the hard work they put into this program. They have to assist those of us who can't figure out what we are doing, encourage, direct, create all the challenges, design sigs, etc., etc. It takes special people to care enough to do this day after day.

I loved the Boston Tea Party challenge. My goal would be to write historical fiction and this was right up that alley. The Mark Twain story was a little harder for me, I'm not sure why. I didn't really like his poem but I learned a lot about him and his life. Not Guilty took a lot of thinking to come up with a story but once I had an idea it was fun to write. Floating over Writing.com in a balloon was another fun one not only to write but to read what others had submitted.

Haikus was something I had never heard of; so now I know what they are. Our reading assignment was a joy. I picked All The Light We Cannot See hoping it was not too much of a war story. I loved the book and couldn't put it down. I hope to read the other selection at some point.

The stories, poems, and Christmas Carols were fun to do. Co-writes are tricky. Writing with others takes a little getting to know each other's style, preference of genre, and where they would like to take the story. Lornda was easiest, she led the way for me and I already knew she liked lighter, humorous pieces.

I signed up for the 30 day blog thinking, "Just another facebook or twitter". I was wrong! Unexpectedly, I am really enjoying them because you really get to know the other writers; what they think about many different subjects, where they are from, personal experiences, etc. I think it was a great addition to the Rising Star Program.

Invaluable information arose from the Novel Workshop. I did a submission on this but in summary, Carol graciously gave us a written transcript of the workshop. I really appreciated this as I had a hearing issue in the workshop. I thought the workshop gave some very valuable information in novel writing and was well worth the time spent.

Now for the two things I have not done. Nano (I want to get into the next one). Outside publication - I have been putting this one off because I can't quite figure out where to go with what. This is something I really have to take some time and figure out in the near future.

I'm about to take my first New Horizons class in Grammar Garden and looking forward to improving my writing skills.

In summary, I think it goes without saying that the Rising Star Program has merit for several reasons. It gets you thinking, writing, and socializing. It gives you hope, compassion, and boosts your self-worth. Hopefully it leads to great writing success for many of us, but if not, we are doing something we like to do with others who have the same interest.

Thank you Gabrielle, Hannah, Carol, and all the others who put hours of love and devotion into this program!
© Copyright 2017 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2108451-Halfway-Mark-Rising-Stars