*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2110627-Trip-to-the-Town-Hall
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2110627
Three Minute Read
Trip to the Town Hall

I’m very shy in public, avoiding it as much as possible, but there are times when a person has to do what a person has to do.

I thought there was an error on my property taxes, they were higher than last time. My inclination was just pay them, but what if there was an error? I don’t have enough money to just let it go. It took me three weeks to get the nerve up to go up and ask, then I had to strike while the iron was hot.

As I walked into the Town Hall, a woman was holding the door. The sun shining on the open door was in my eyes, so I didn’t realize she was actually waiting for someone. Just as I stepped through, her son ran by me. He was actually why she was holding the door. He was holding a drink box of chocolate milk, and we collided, the box crushed up against me and spewed all over my shirt. The mother was horrified, but it was an accident. We parted friends. However, I was wet now, my shirt looked modern art-ish, and I smelled like chocolate, but, it took me three weeks to get up the nerve to come! I had to do it!

I got through it, I asked sensible questions, I didn’t blubber. I did have to pay the taxes, that was real. The woman I spoke to explained it very clearly, I even understood it now. She asked about my shirt and laughed when she heard what happened. She told me I smelled yummy, chocolatey. I was really feeling pretty good after that, well, until I got home. That’s when I realized I’d been in the Town Hall, then stopped at the store, still wearing my bedroom slippers.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2110627-Trip-to-the-Town-Hall