*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113428-Pay-as-you-go
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Comedy · #2113428
Competition entry
300 word limit containing computer / dark / eyes

PAYG:

Devlin rolled back from his desk, flicking the monitor screen off as he did so, if for no other reason than to give himself a break from that damn, pulsing white page.

His eyes stung and throbbed as though they were being pushed out from the inside of his skull.

He dropped his glasses on top of the keyboard and pinched hard at the indentations they'd left in the bridge of his nose after 20 years of relying on them to get his work done. He sighed, trying to clear his head as easily as he expelled the sour air from his lungs. The headaches had always been bad but this was more than just the migraine brought on by Cranklin, his supervisor for the last five (painful) months. This almost felt like he was being split in two.

Devlin turned back to the computer and stared at his reflection in the dark screen. The single overhead light he'd left on after everyone else had packed up and started for the carpark lent his features a disturbing, hollowed out look. 30 years with the same company and this was how they tried to dodge paying out on long service leave. Work you into the ground first! Devlin smiled, but the face looking back was gaunt and skeletal and gave him the shivers, so turned his screen back on instead.

His fingers ran through the familiar dance as he signed off on the email. He read it back through and hoped people wouldn't think he was being sarcastic when he wished no ill will to any but those who deserved it. Suddenly there was a loud whoomp of an explosion from the executive car park. Devlin checked his watch. Cranklin was nothing if not punctual. He smiled and hit send.

Word count 299
© Copyright 2017 B1P0L4R (b1p0l4r at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113428-Pay-as-you-go