*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113825-The-Lion-Head
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest · #2113825
Uncertain choices
The Lion Head

The hours of texting.The cell phones dings.Then finally the meeting. For some reason it all had taken a toll on me. I Was very unsure of this. I'd done many jobs this last year. It had been tough. But enough to keep me going. But this one? All done over a Craig's job request and text. What had I got myself into? Rolling my eyes at myself looking into the mirror I wasn't even sure who stood there looking back. Adorning deep dark red lips and dark thick makeup. Dark black glasses under a black hat. I pushed the glasses up ward since they had a tendency to slip down my nose. With a sigh, I laughed a bit, and shrug saying a loud. Well Ole Gal lets do this!
Walking into the kitchen of the tiny apartment, I pick up the cup of cold coffee and took a long drink as I looked over to the two leather duffels packed by the door and back down at the black and white picture. Suddenly I felt a tug in my inner stomach. The strangers request was a odd one. Even bazar. I swallowed hard looking at the marked up crinkled map. With its drawn lines and inked stars and red circles. Wading it up to some sort of a fold I jammed it into the leather backpack bag. Grabbing up the picture sliding it into a envelope shoving it with the map. Picking up a leather jacket I slip it on, slinging the bag over my shoulder. Dropping my cell into my jacket pocket I locked the door behind me as I headed down the old buildings long hallway. Its silence creepy and haunting. As the stint of rot and oldness assaulted my nose and It wrinkled up. Then cold air makes my hairs stand up on the back of my neck, I look back behind me as if I was being watched. I give a quick body shake. I reminded myself. 'Stepping stone!" The floor gives some bounce as I would walk down its corridor in its old age. Over hundred years old they told me. And it sure whispered of it. But It was cheap and it had been quick to get into. I'd been here just a little while and still hadn't got use to the place. Like being without my ole life, a normal honest job, him. Yeah kind of like my life the last year. Shitty and it was time to get something back.
The buildings heavy front door slammed behind me with a in swept gush of wind as I stepped out onto the street and I stopped and just stood there for a moment looking around. The traffic flew by as if it was some autobahn. Looking across the street, the old empty building was decorated with the normal homeless. My head tilted to the side as I shake it a bit to recognizing the same ones now. Most covered in their own filth and empty whiskey bottles. Some talked and danced to the air in their crazy mental world. And then there were the few of the young that just flat wouldn't work I had noticed in my short time here. I sighed again and wondered why I felt this was right move.
Tightening my grip to the bag straps I head down the walk way toward to the center city. My boots made shuffle sounds against the cement. My wrangler thighs swooshed as I hurried. My hat pulled low and I knew I looked out of place here in this cement world. Pulling out my cell I check the time. If I was right about this I would be really early. And that was alright to me. I wanted to be first.
Studying the map I think, this has to be the right spot, as I'm handed the Styrofoam cup. I Joggle up the map as I hand the vendor a couple bucks for the coffee as I looked across to the bench. I take a bigger drink then I meant. Burning my mouth. I cursed under breath as it stung. I wasn't really flustered at it so much, as they still hadn't shown. Maybe it had been called off. Maybe they had backed out of the meeting. Man I thought after all the texts and planning this was a done deal. I needed this too. Actually I need it done and over with before I talked myself out of it. Shoving the map under my arm I look at my cell again. Nothing.
Leaning against a light pole on the busy yuppie street called, Cherry Street district, with its tiny little shops, and street vendors people walked around busy and noisy with their bags of goodies like ants. I waited impatiently. In the center of all this was the small sitting park that was the meeting spot. I watched intensely for a body to show and sit on the bench I had been directed to. My eyes would dart at ever patron as they walked by. Slowing and throwing food to the birds there. Hoping they'd sit on that bench. I almost jumped out of my skin as the cell ding. Quickly looking at it. It was the number! I opened it up to read. I know your there. Now leave there. Take the bag and go straight to 21st and Lewis Street. There is a park there. In the park there are levels of flats of roses gardens.The third level is a Lion head fountain protruding from a wall. With it two benches facing different directions. Sit facing the Lion head. And Mama remember come alone. You have 45 minutes. I quickly begin to look around as I realize I am being watched. This was not going right and something did not feel right for sure now. My mind begin to swirl and flood with hundreds of thoughts. Screaming at me to leave and get gone fast! I didn't need it this bad! For some reason I just stood looking for the oddest strangest person. I blinked and almost laughed at myself catching myself saying aloud. Hell their all odd acting! NO I had committed to the odd request and I need out so I was doing it! Roughly tossing the last of the coffee and the cup into the streets corner fancy cement trash can, I take the map and opened it up to see just where this place was and how far. The breeze fighting, whispering to me not to go. The sun's glare blinding across the maps lines warning me don't go. I angrily slam down the map against the trash can top and studying it for a moment. I lay the tip of my finger right on top of the site. Looking around for the bus stop I see the back end of it drove off! Damn! Looking at my cell for time. Sighing I push the map back into the bag and begin to hurry down the street to catch the next bus hopefully. Now it was I that would be pushed for time.
Reaching the site I stepped off the buses bottom step and walked slow and cautions. There were people around but in the their own worlds. What the hell was I doing. I took a deep breath walking the stairs of the garden flats. My eyes searched for anything out of the unordinary. My inside screamed to leave as I just kept on walking until I reached this Lion head fountain. It was beautiful here I would say. I shuffled to the bench I was directed to and popped down sitting the bag next to me.
What seemed like a eternity was only a few moments. I stiffened as my cell dinged! Reaching for it, opening it to the next request. I swallowed hard as I read it. Quickly looking up and around. Slowly reaching into the bag I pulled out the envelope sliding it to the other bench that sat right behind me. I looked at the Lion head holding my breath. Suddenly I felt a body on the bench sitting. Hearing them picking up the envelope. I waited for the trade to be slid back to me. Instead I hear... Ding! My eyes narrow as I read. Open the envelope and put it on! I quickly look down to the side of me on the bench as my confusion interrupted as the envelope was slid back next to me. Opening it up the picture gone and I blink as it was a ring I was being asked to put on. I quickly stand up. His voice suddenly speaks. Nice Wedding picture by the way! I became wide eyed as I turn quickly to the voice I knew well. There stood the man in green fatigues, I had been told a year ago was MIA, I hadn't seen in a year. There stood my husband!



Word Count: 1501
© Copyright 2017 Michele Orman (micheleorman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113825-The-Lion-Head