*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114348-The-Casino
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing · #2114348
Short Story
Wealth was continually thrown away. The vacant eyed addicts sat eerily still, only their hands moving. Mindlessly pressing the flashing buttons, hypnotized as the bangles and lights blinded their senses. The harsh scent of tobacco stung the nose and eyes as the smoky haze swirled around the flashing machines. Occasionally the addicts would accept strange coloured drinks from professionally smiling women with cynical gazes.

The women showed signs of a jaded life, thick makeup struggling to cover the lines carved into their skin. Bouncing bunny ears and a bobbing white tail oddly suiting the skin tight sparkling leotards. Moving between the towering machines the women would seek out the addicts tucked out of sight. Passing them glasses of cheap alcohol as the endless amounts of buzzing and lights indicated the casinos profits.

Emptying their trays the bunny women would move away from the poorly lit machine filled areas. The smoky haze would thicken yet the atmosphere seemed brighter. Laughter would echo occasionally. Smiling groups of gamblers drank and smoked, large cigars and expensive drinks moving from hands to mouths. Well dressed dealers joked with the players and those watching. Bets were made and risks taken, even losses were often met with laughter and generous sympathy.

The contradictory nature was bewildering the extremes of profit and loss, exultation and depression, addict and gambler. Millions of dollars were made and lost every single day. The woman wrapped in furs and dripping jewels could have just lost her home. That man in the cheap suit may be his towns newest millionaire, provided he can walk away from the boisterous table. Perhaps he will but still return home penniless. Already sharks have begun to circle, long slender limbs and vivid red lips flashing hungrily. Look the plain man in the cheap suit is leaving, a beautiful new acquaintance draping themselves on either of his shoulders.

As he leaves the smoke filled interior perhaps he will hear the grubby man. With the cardboard sign and worn bible, preaching the nature of sin. Such words are rarely heeded here, sin is the reason this place exists. The ability to act contradictory to the normal self is the service provided. Come, stay a while and loosen your mind from its fetters. Its free to try but don’t lose yourself, you may never return. This is after all the one and only, City of Sin.
© Copyright 2017 avenbriggs (briggsa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114348-The-Casino