*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114846-The-Room
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2114846
Flash Fiction
The Room

Something flew by Ted’s nose. Drunk, he reached up to swat it when his curiosity kicked in. It was winter, where would a flying insect come from? True he never came into this room anymore. Perhaps something had been trapped since summer, or maybe the heat had hatched something. Gina was still here then; this was her favorite room.

His thoughts drifted back to Gina. How could she leave him like that? No note, no word all these months. She hadn’t even taken her clothes. True, she’d been unhappy, said their life was dull; she wanted fun, parties, to dance every night. He had to work! She argued, saying he always had to be right, but he was right! Still, he never believed she would leave him. It shook his faith in himself.

His eyes caught sight of movement on the window behind the sofa. Maybe the window wasn’t shut well? He gulped down his drink and staggered over to check.

Getting there, he realized it was a fly. Odd, Gina never had food in here, he thought... or was that a lie too? Looking over the tall back of the sofa he saw more flies, and the window was open a bit. He’d have to clean up whatever it was, Gina apparently did eat in here... Closer now he could smell something a bit off too. The room had been shut up for way too long. He should have checked. He went for the vacuum.

Pulling out the sofa to suck up all the flies, he found Gina. Well, what was left of Gina. And apparently he had mice now too, more likely rats…

Still, Ted was suddenly happy. He was still sorry Gina was gone, of course, but at least he was right! She hadn’t left him.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114846-The-Room