*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114897-Idlys
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #2114897
My childhood enemy visits my family... but for what reason?
"Mommy? Mommy, wake up," my six-year-old daughter shakes my shoulder impatiently.
I grunt. "What is it, Patrycia?"
"It's Nickole. Patrycia is still in the living room. Mommy, there's a man here."
I open my eyes. "A man? What does he look like?"
"He's really tall and he's wearing lots of green and gold."
I sit up and glance at the clock. 12:34 am. I stand up and look at Nickole. "Did he say anything?"
"He said he wanted to see you. He asked us to wake you up."
I sigh. "Nickole, go get back in bed. I'll send your sister to bed as well. Don't get back up, no matter what you hear. OK?"
She nods and starts down the hall. I rush down the hall in the opposite direction, toward the living room.
As soon as I get there, I spot Patrycia sitting on the couch, staring at the corner. I walk slowly to her, not wanting to startle her. Quietly I sit on the edge of the couch next to her, tense, ready.
"Mommy," my six-year-old whispers finally, "tell him to go away."
I put my arms around her. "I intend to do just that. Now, go to bed, and don't get up untill I come to wake you up in the morning, okay?"
She nods slowly and leaves the room. I rise and glare at the corner. "Come out and quit being weird and mysterious," I demand.
A tall form steps out of the shadows, revealing the green cape and gold horns I know can only belong to Idlys, my old archenemy.
"Your daughter is a very interesting child," he remarks casually. "We have spent the past thirty minutes engaged in mental conversation."
"Leave my children alone," I growl, fists clenched.
"I won't hurt them," he assures me.
"You've said that before, about me, and yet I still have scars from what you've done."
"I never make promises," he grins.
I unsheath my claws. "If you dare to ever hurt my children, you'll be dead before you have time to stop me."
"You won't kill me," he scoffs. "You'll stop, just like every other time. You'll waver, you'll hesitate, and you'll let me live. You've done it three times already. You're just too weak."
"Am I?" I challenge. "Is it a weakness to look opportunity in the eye and say, 'Today is not the day I choose to start taking life'? Is it a weakness? Or is it a strength to stay true to who I am?"
"Lie to yourself all you want. You're still weak."
"It's my so-called weakness that's the reason you're even alive," I snap
Before he can reply, the door opens and my husband walks in.
"Clair? What's going on?" He asks, coming up behind me and placing his hands protectively on my shoulders.
"I simply--" Idlys starts.
"I was not asking you," Will cuts him off coldly.
"It's fine, Will. He was just leaving," I assure him.
"Not quite yet, dear Clair. I still have unfinished business with your husband."
"I passed your test and defeated your demons, Idlys. Our business is finished," Will declares. I can feel his hands trembling with indignation and bad memories.
"Daddy!" The twins shout in unison, running into the living room.
"I told you not to get out of bed," I reprimand, keeling down and putting my arms around them.
"But we heard Daddy come in," Nickole explains as she and her sister hug me back and Will puts his arms around all of us.
Idlys smirks. "Cute."
When I look up at him, he's gone.
To be continued........
© Copyright 2017 Katie-James Grace (clairfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114897-Idlys