*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2115918-The-Puzzle
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2115918
Flash Fiction
The Puzzle

A puzzle piece was missing; I’d gotten all the way to the end before I realized. I checked the floor, the other chair, my lap, my clothes, I even picked up the empty box and shook it as if I thought it could be in there hiding.

I have a tiny issue with things like this, my therapist says I’m improving, and I did try. I shook it off, walked into the kitchen for a soda, but it was nagging me. I’d bought the puzzle at a yard sale and a very nice woman had assured me it had all its pieces. Maybe someone else had opened it at the yard sale and the piece had fallen out. It could have been lost then. It could still be there!

I drove over. They weren’t having a yard sale today, it was a Tuesday, they were probably at work. I parked across the street and peered into their driveway with my binoculars. I always have them in the car, for birds. It was a yellow piece with a white stripe. I peered up and down and along all the edges but couldn’t see it. The garage had been open though, it was closed now, it could be inside. There was a regular door there too.

I got out and walked up, as if I belonged, and went in the regular door. The first thing I noticed was the piece! It was on the floor near the door! The second thing I noticed was a car. The third thing I noticed were the police as they drove up in front.

My mother had to come down to the police station to get me. Fortunately, the homeowner recognized me from the sale, and she didn’t press charges.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t the right piece...
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2115918-The-Puzzle