*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2117632-The-Story
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2117632
Three Minute Read
The Story

“They came out of nowhere,”

Mom leaned in, “Your father’s been telling that story forever. I never saw them; Uncle never saw them...”

“Mum!”

“Fine, but I don’t believe it.”

Alex turned back to his friends. “He was over by that big oak. It was early spring, like now. He was looking for acorns... I’ll show you the place, come-on!”

The group scampered off with Alex. Some had heard the story before but they didn’t care, it was a great story.

They gathered around the big oak near a very narrow stretch of road, staying back to be safe. Once settled, Alex picked up the story.

“He could hear the birds, but there were people around. There usually weren’t people here then. As he settled in, he heard a noise from the street. He was used to cars and trucks, but this was different. The noise got louder and suddenly a man ran by. Dad thought he was running away from something, not knowing what, he ducked, and then a few more ran by, then more and more! In minutes the whole street was full of people! He couldn’t even see the other side! He climbed up the tree and looked, and all he could see in both directions were people, all running! He didn’t stick around to see what they were all running from!”

Suddenly the boys themselves started hearing noise up the street. Already entranced by the story, they flew up the tree. As they sat there, a man ran by, then more, then so many that all they could see were people filling the street in both directions! It was Dad’s story, it was happening again!

As the marathon passed by, six new squirrels gained a story they would tell all their lives. Few would believe them.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2117632-The-Story