*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118276-That-Fence
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2118276
Three Minute Read
That Fence

“Are you going to write a letter...” Sandy said.

“Write a letter? I’m going straight down to the Town Hall to talk to the building inspector, or whoever is in charge! This is an outrage! You know me I rarely complain about things...”

Since Trina wasn’t looking, Sandy rolled her eyes.

“It’s just a fence Trina...” she tried.

“And what’s next! It was bad enough when she decided to make her whole front yard gardens instead of grass, but I let it go. Then, when she decided to paint her house that green.”

“Lots of people have green houses Trina.”

“Not that hideous green! You know, I actually offered to buy her a better color. You know what she said? She said she chose that shade on purpose, ON PURPOSE mind you!! I thought it had to be because it was on sale, because nobody in their right mind would buy it! It’s hideous! And now the fence!

“You know,” Trina continued ranting, “when you drive up our street it’s all anyone sees. It may be her fence but it’s our street, our neighborhood! Do you want to be identified as the woman who lives on that street with that fence? And you will! Once people see it, it will be called ‘that fence’ because nobody else would ever, ever do that, it will be the only one in town, in the whole state probably! The woman is apparently color-blind, no color, um, color... wrong. I don’t know!

“Trina, it’s her fence. Even if you go up, there’s probably nothing the town can do about it. It’s her fence on her property!”

“I know, I know.” Trina said, deflating a bit now, “I just can’t get it through my head. Why would anyone paint their front fence lavender?”
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2118276-That-Fence