*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2122751-The-Sky-Is-Falling
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2122751
a rouge satellite threatens the earth and action must be taken.
The Sky is falling

I stared thought the view screen connected to the Telescope, recorded images over six months. Something was different. I never believed in the black knight satellite but this activity was not normal it was possibly terrifying. I called over to my partner.

“Dr. Fallon look at this data I need fresh eyes on it” my tome is even with a hint of alarm

The older man walked over and sat in the chair. “All right Roger lets have a look” He stared at the data for what seemed like forever. I was young and cared a great deal about what the doctor thought. “their is definite movement unlike anything we seen in the passed.” He sighed “Plot the trajectory”

“Yes Doctor,” I moved over to the other computer and typed in some information. “It seems to be headed for the international space station, or at the very lest toward it.”

“All right, we need to get eyes on it look at it. Contacted the state department with a priority S.E.T.I alert.”

“Their not gonna believe this,” I made the call a directed line for emergencies one that well had seen very little use. A voice on the other end the Presidents science adviser.

Curt “Send me the data your looking at it will be faster then your explanation”

“Yes Sir” tap tap tap and the data was sent though secure email.

“I see what your looking at you have permission to access the cameras of 42795 and get a better look loop me into the feed.”

“Yes sir,” I typed now with a sense of urgency and the camera of the spy satellite focused on the Black Knight. It had a look that well I never seen before their was a signal coming from it was that short wave. I had no real way of telling it was garbled in a language I did not understand. “Are you reading this”

The voice on the other end of the phone responded “yes, yes Roger Mallay I have added the Persistent to the call explain what were looking at.

My stomach dropped and felt empty, the persistent was on the phone and he wanted to hear from me. “Mr President, I believe we have a unknown satellite that has activated that been floating around the poles for some time now. It seem to be on a course that will take it very close to the international space station.”

The persistent spoke, “what is your impression of the craft, is it a threat?”

“I can't say, I think without knowing it intentions we have prepare for the worst and hope for the best. This could be our chance at first contacted with alien life.” I fell silent.

“Thank you” the persistent said and the line went dead

I looked toward the doctor “What do you think their going to do” I watched the screen linked to the satellite feed, their was several flash of lights Missiles and a explosions that filled the night sky.

The news that night reported a large asteroid was destroyed that was on a course for the earth. Why it was not a true threat to the earth it was a minor threat.

I was disillusioned, did we start a war, what would the fall out be the parts were gather and then locked away, the Doctor spoke “This wasn't the first time you know we have protocols for things like this who knows what data it had collected or even how far away the other end was, for all we know it was some other cultivation voyager but chances could not be taken” He crossed to a cabinet and pulled out a bottle of scotch and poured to glasses handing me one.

“To you new life” The doctor said “you are now part of the world that knows we are not alone, the masses can not know”

My hart sank and I drank “A new life, a new world how long do you think it will take before they get the signal”

“Who know ten years a hundred years, keep watching the sky, you are now a Procter of the earth MJ-12 will debrief you soon be honest and you will be OK.”

I pour another drink and drained the cup I need to drink. I feel like it all over I would never be allowed a life. Maybe a overreaching but only time would tell.

((Word count 742))
© Copyright 2017 Bryan J Smith (bryanjsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2122751-The-Sky-Is-Falling