*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123032-A-Collection-of-Prompts
Rated: ASR · Prose · Other · #2123032
5 prompts that I found somewhere online. Each one was written on a different day.
She stood there swinging her wand wildly and yelling the chant over and over. But no matter what she did the horse didn't sprout and wings nor even a feather.

"I'll never be able to go to witches school like my older sister," She thinks to herself and sits on the tree stump behind her. She scans the forest for signs of her parents coming to look for her. Nothing but green and orange specks of sky peeking through the thick forest trees. She sighs. The horse snorts and moves closer to her bending his head down enough for her to rub him as if trying to comfort her. She rubs his snout and fishes for a few sugar cubes in her pocket. Before ever getting them out her pocket the horse sticks his mouth down to chomp. She giggles "Can I  at least get them out my pocket first?" The horse nods and backs away waiting patiently for his treat. She rewards him for his patience and he munches away with excitement.

She lies down on the oversized tree stump, watching the clouds go by and the sun dips below the horizon. Thinking of all her sister was able to accomplish before her age. Thinking of the high expectations she was supposed to meet before today. Thinking of her parent's hidden disappointment behind their encouraging voices.

The fire licked her fingers like a puppy welcoming an old friend.

It doesn't hurt. Not even a little. Not even a burn mark on her hand. She stands there toes in the sand. Confused in front of the small campfire she started on this cool clammy night. She's been meaning to try this since she first found out it doesn't hurt when she play's with fire. She scans the beach for signs of life, no one as far as she can see. Taking her clothes off she shivers from the unexpected seaside breeze. Exhaling she steps one foot in the fire. Then the next foot. Now enveloped in the flames and not feeling a thing she slowly sinks down into the earth. She freaks out and hops off the burning logs. "What the fuck was that?" she whispers. "That my darling was a sign" whispered behind her. She gasps and turns around to find a... "Angel!?" She yells covering herself up. "What??!?! How???!? Why??!!?!!" She hyperventilates unable to complete her questions. Unsure of what her questions even are.

A Very Hot Place

Heat radiates furiously off the sparkling sand. Jane continues up the dune despite the forecast. Determination deep within her soul. The wind suffocates. The sun blinds. The chains grip and burn. Just a few more minutes until the cold deliverance of the spring. She can hear it. Every fiber in her being telling her to run but exhaustion prevents her from doing so. Just a little more. Just a little more. She collapsed in the spring. The water so cold it burns. Sticking her tongue out she begins to drink under the sweltering savannah sun. Once she's had enough she lets out a roar.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Brinda yells at Janice who is cleaning out her office. Throwing her things into the box sitting on her desk. She swings her stark red hair around revealing an angry expression. "With me what's wrong with the people in this office??" She stomps toward Brinda snatching her coat off the door hanger.
"You don't say shit like that in a professional work environment?" She steps in slamming the door behind her.

"I'm just telling it like it is. What's the use of tiptoeing around a grown ass man? I will not walk on eggshells to protect some giant babies feelings."

"That is exactly why you can not work here or anywhere with that attitude."

"Well, that's fine with me. I'd rather not work with a bunch of fucking babies who cry when someone tells them their breath smells like horse shit."

"Oh my god! He has halitosis! He can't help that his breath stinks all the time!"

"Then he shouldn't get all in people's face like that or someone will say something that will hurt his fucking feelings. Fucking crybaby ass bitch."

"Alright, that's enough. I can't anymore. How can one person be so insensitive."

"Because you guys are too soft. Grow some balls because the world is full of people like me."

You wake up with a nameless feeling of dread in your gut, but you can't figure out what it is. Write down everything that could happen during the day that you could dread.

The morning spills into my eyes as I pry them open. I sit up groggily and rub the slumber from my eyes. I can't help but feel... I'm not sure how to describe it... strange. I scan my room to find its a mess. I was so tired last night I didn't straighten up before bed. "Since its Saturday, I should clean up," I say to myself. Reluctantly I hop out of bed and begin to put my clothes away, sniffing them occasionally to see if it's good to wear again. Once the clothes are done I break for breakfast. My stomach is churning despite my obvious hunger so I make something light, scrambled eggs with spinach and tomatoes. I can't shake this strange feeling. I've never felt like this before. How long has it been since I called my parents? Maybe I should give them a call. I finish up the last of my breakfast and walk back to my room to get my phone. Before I even reach for it, my mom calls. The feeling I had before gets stronger to the point of being queasy. For a moment I'm paralyzed with fear but I eventually pick up the phone.

"Hey mom, I was just about to call you."
"No, you weren't you sound like you're just waking up."
"I swear! I was about to pick up my phone then you called. And by the way, I was up for like 2 hours now. I just haven't had tea yet."
"Mmhmm" I roll my eyes as I imagine the side eye she always does when she thinks I'm lying.
"Anyway, how are you? You haven't called in almost two months"
"I've been well, keeping busy with work..." My nausea comes back.
"Is everything alright with you and dad?"
"Oh, the usual. Dad is off to the shelter almost every day now. They must be preparing for something. Those kids really love him you know."
"Yea he's always sending me pictures on Facebook," I smile.
"He keeps bring up one little girl named Jessica. You better watch out it looks like she took your place as his little girl," she giggles.
"Yea he's told me about her," I laugh remembering the hundreds of pictures of a little brunette snaggletooth girl with my father. They're always smiling together I'm glad he's having fun. And I'm glad she's happy. The feeling returns and my smile fades.
"Hey, mom?"
"Yes?"
"I've had this strange feeling all morning, I'm not sure what it is or how to describe it."
"Are you getting sick? Have you been keeping the apartment warm? You know how cold it gets in Canada."
"I've been keeping warm, and I'm starting to adjust to the weather now. I don't feel sick... I feel like something bad is about to happen or like I'm forgetting something important. But I don't know why or what..."
"Hmmm..." There is a long pause.
"Well today is the 17th"
"What does that have.... Oh... Yea I remember now"
Today is they day my cat Jasper died 2 years ago. He ate something out the trash and was throwing up. We took him to the hospital but it was too late.
"I can't believe I forgot" tears welled up in my eyes.
"Well, Sweetheart it has been 2 years, its alright"
"Yea..." my throat feels as though I swallowed cotton balls. But the feeling now turns to depression.
"I should get back to cleaning" I try to sound normal, hoping my mom wasn't fooled.
"Alright, sweetheart I'll let you get back to that. Don't forget to call me again soon."
"I won't I promise. Love you"
"Mmhmm, Love you too."

I roll my eyes again and hang up. Now lying on the bed, the cloud of depression fills my room. I wanted to get back to cleaning but that feels like too much work. I think I'll take a nap instead.
© Copyright 2017 Varah Fae (varah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123032-A-Collection-of-Prompts