*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2124145-Short
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2124145
Flash Fiction
Short

I needed the bowl on the top shelf at my son’s. He, his wife, and his father, are tall. I’m short, everything high is a trial. But, it was the only bowl big enough to mix meatloaf, one of the few things I knew how to make.

Step stools, chairs, I have them everywhere, but here no. No chairs in the kitchen, the big room all stuffy furniture. The closest chair in the dining room. My husband and son were there installing a tricky air conditioner. If I tried to sneak a chair out, I would interrupt the process and it would take even longer! I decided to climb on the counter. A tad easier in my younger years, granted, but when in need.

I hiked myself up trying not to knock things off. It was in the cabinet next to the sink, unfortunately, I’d shut that door which opened toward me. I had to walk myself over to the sink to get it back open. I tip-toed over, hanging on to the cabinet handles to keep my balance, feeling relieved once I was at the sink.

Never relax! As I opened the cabinet, my foot slipped on a wet spot on the sink, reeling to keep from falling on the floor, I leaned heavily in the other direction and went right out the open window over the kitchen sink, screen and all. Fortunately, landing on a chaise lounge under the window, I wasn’t hurt and nobody had even heard me! Sometimes I amaze myself! I went back in, shut the window, got the bowl and had a meatloaf in the oven in ten minutes.

Then my daughter in-law-came home and the first thing she did was open the window... and then ask my son what happened to the screen...
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2124145-Short