*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2126374-Death-of-the-Unions
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2126374
Adrian is moving on up, he's not one of those pathetic gutter trawlers, he's a made man.
"Fuck off you scabs."

Once the cry had power, once it was strong. Now, the dishevelled bums sitting across the street from the Adelaide SeaCorp Munitions Plant muttering garbled obscenities at the new breed of employee were a sad reminder of a dead ideal.

Shuffling along in the line, Adrian sneered derisively at the filthy man in his ragged hi-vis vest and moth eaten overalls as he moved through the gate on his way to work. Life was good for Adrian, he had made his monthly KPIs and was looking forward to a tidy bonus, that would be four in a row and that meant he was on the fast track to promotion. His hi-vis vest was still new and stiff, the chafing only made Adrian think of one thing.

Success.

The acrid air smelt of burning metal and mixed chemicals, Adrian breathed it in as he arrived at his computer cubicle. He had been here for five months, a short while but certainly enough to get him noticed. Adrian knew he was the best performer on the floor, confidential emails told him so. His ability to multi-task and his willingness to work extra hours to exceed targets had no doubt impressed leadership. He had seen them watching from the high platforms above the immense open plan office where Adrian worked, The Grid as it was known.

He jammed himself into the service elevator with two dozen other employees. Grey faced, clean shaven, all wearing hi-vis vests over white shirts and blue ties. All sporting the neat, slick hair-style of the aspirational class.

Adrian looked around, smug in the knowledge that he was an alpha among these competitors. He raised his eyebrow quizzically as he saw Jacobs wore a similar, confident smile to Adrian's own.

Had someone whispered in his ear too?

It didn't matter though, soon, all the overtime, all the sleepless nights, it would all be worth it.

Once he made it, Zoe would come back.

It left a bitter taste in his mouth of course, she didn't understand that he was doing it all for her. She didn't understand that success required sacrifices. What more did she want?

So selfish and short sighted of her.

It was obvious though, she wasn't happy that Adrian only came home for a day a month, the rest of the time he stayed across the street at the SeaCorp Dorms, a city block worth of high-rise apartments. The cost was a substantial amount of Adrian's salary but after this month, it would all be worth it. Just a couple of years on the fast track and Adrian would be a foreman, which meant a personalized contract with all the perks. One day, Adrian would take old Galagis' job. The company would reward his effort and his loyalty.

The elevator made a funny sound and juddered to a halt, a popping click sound resounded somewhere above that made the clutch of men look up and about, wondering what it was.

The elevator dropped like a stone, the lights went out and emergency lighting came on, covering the workers in a ruddy glow. Men panicked but could go nowhere.

Adrian screamed.

The elevator hit the ground, fifteen floors down.

The SeaCorp Lawyer sat across from the manager of the Adelaide SeaCorp Munitions factory. Both of their faces were grim.

"It was a serious incident Mr. Galagis." Stated the lawyer, tapping long, smooth fingers on the table.

Brian Galagis looked at the perfectly cut nails on those fingers, at the impeccable attention to detail they spoke of and nodded. "Yes."

The lawyer, Anton Primus, continued, his voice cultured and even toned.

"There may be some community concern that the factory has been neglecting its corporate responsibilities and that further losses could be sustained."

"Yes, I understand." Replied Galagis.

"The matter of compensation needs to be attended to......." Began Primus.

"To the workers? Or their families?" queried Brian, touching a finger to his forehead as he thought of the dead and injured.

Primus said nothing for a second, regarding Brian Galagis with a stern eye although the corner of his mouth moved upwards in a barely suppressed smile.

"Neither Mr. Galagis, the company directors are disappointed that the situation caused the factory to momentarily cease production. They fear profits may have been compromised."

Brian Galagis gave a little peep of shock. He had been prepared to cut corners for SeaCorp, to save costs, he had worked the employees hard to make targets, but he knew he would have to take responsibility when the accident occurred.

"Okay...." Brian began, unsure what to say next.

"We are aware that you possess, not inconsiderable personal assets Mr. Galagis, section 32c of your work place contract states that in the event of company loss, you may be required to provide reimbursement to SeaCorp as responsible party."

Galagis spluttered in shock. "You're blaming this on me? SeaCorp gave the order to cease the maintenance contracts."

Anton Primus remained unmoved. His dark eyes remained fixed on Brian Galagis'. "SeaCorp has hired you as an independent contractor to oversee the management of the Adelaide SeaCorp Munitions facility, you are solely responsible for any activity that attracts litigation against the facility and or SeaCorp."

Brian stood up as he was overcome with anger. "You've got to be kidding me, SeaCorp is suing me for following SeaCorp's orders? That's bullshit, I want a lawyer, do I even get a lawyer, aren't you my lawyer?"

Primus sighed, tiredly. "Under normal circumstances SeaCorp would provide you with a lawyer, however; as this particular action against you is from SeaCorp itself it has been decided that would be a conflict of interest and we will not be able to represent you."

Brian thought as quickly as he could. "So can I hire my own lawyer?"

"No," said Primus impassively. "Your contract states that all legal, financial and housing services required by said employee, namely you, will be designated and handled by SeaCorp Human Resources Pty Ltd. As a result, you will have to represent yourself at the hearing. SeaCorp has jurisdiction in this matter as it happened on Company property, therefore SeaCorp Justice Inc. will administer the trial."

Brian knew where this was heading. The writing was on the wall.

"So, what about my family then?"

"How do you mean?"

"I'm going to have to represent myself against SeaCorp in a trial arbitrated by SeaCorp with my assets to be seized by SeaCorp.... What is going to happen to my family?"

Primus took a deep breath and adjusted his tie at the collar, then he spoke.

"As is company policy, in the event that an employee is unable to discharge the full measure of a debt owed to SeaCorp, we are justified in requiring said employee to undertake indentured employment at a facility of our choosing, in the event that said employee has dependants he will be allowed to have them join him in indentured employment in order to expedite rapid payment of debt. That's ah, Section 147 J, I think.... I'd have to check."

Brian looked down and braced himself for what would come next.

"How much will I owe?" he whispered.

Anton Primus had known Brian would want a number, he had always been a practical man and served the company well for over twenty years. A pity, but debts must be paid.

"The auditors estimated that the total value of lost profits comes to the equivalent of forty-two billion dollars, give or take."

"The plant was shut down for two hours" exploded Brian, his rage returning. "How the fuck is it that much?"

"That's not including accrued interest of course. The company is prepared to reduce the sum by five percent if you can pay it in a single upfront payment."

"This is bullshit!" raged Brian, ineffectually. Anton Primus continued passionlessly, a master of his craft.

"Loss includes actual production lost in addition to the cost of public relations needs, share-holder insurance, the cost of auditing the cost of loss and naturally, my lawyer fees, administrative costs and miscellaneous costs, in addition to interest accrued before the matter is settled. In time, that would be approximately one point one five million years' total service calculated at two dollars and seventy cents per hour, standard minimal wage. Of course if your family join you the time will be shorter."

A tear rolled down Brian's face as he stared into the oblivion of his family's lives. His shoulders slumped and he slowly sank back into his chair.

"Thank you for being so understanding Mr. Galagis" said Anton Primus pleasantly as he stood up to leave. "I'll see you in court tomorrow."

Adrian watched the line of workers in their freshly pressed shirts and hi-vis vests file into the Adelaide SeaCorp Munitions factory. He hated them all. His dirty fingers scrabbled through his pockets to find a cigarette butt that he had been saving. It had been five months and he was still here, still waiting for compensation, still waiting for his day in court to get back something after SeaCorp took it all. Not a cent of compensation for the accident, the medical bills had broken him and he'd lost his apartment and car trying to stay afloat. Zoe was gone too, good riddance to bad women thought Adrian. He should have been someone, there should be rules to protect him, he was just doing his job, he was a good man; he had worked hard....... he was replaceable.

"Fucking scabs!" he roared at the shuffling line. It was a mighty roar of defiance in Adrian's ears but to the freshly shaven, grey faced men going to work in the pre-dawn light it was apitiful, mewling wail from a no-hope cripple. A nobody, who didn't have what it takes to succeed, to be one of the aspirational class. They all knew that their hard work would pay off, the company was looking out for them and as long as they made their KPIs, success was assured.

© Copyright 2017 BaartGroot (baartgroot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2126374-Death-of-the-Unions