*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2127471-Hand-Maidens-Tale
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Solemi
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2127471
A romance between a prince and a princess...and a peasant...watched over by a hand maiden.
Have you ever seen a princess with a prince?
I have you know. They are the epitome of perfect romance when you see them. All in love with each other like a picture of Romeo and Juliet. If life benefits us with such a romance, you and your lover fighting for your own love story. Struggling through emotional traumas and physical injuries while not minding it the least because there is no one who loved like Romeo does to Juliet.
Yes, something like that. The prince who would save you from a desperately lonely life amongst the pain staking sadness that the world has given you. It’s nice to think it like that. Something I always see every day in this world. Such a lovely world, you can just smell the fragrance of flowers everywhere.
“Good Morning!” someone said.
I looked around to see a usual sight the Prince and Princess, something like that Romeo and Juliet I’ve told you.
We’ve always started our day, the kind of usual day, chatting about our day before, what happened to them and simply telling stories. Stories that sound like reports mixed with emotional banter. Telling them like a Fairy Tale. Where, the Prince saves his loving Princess from loneliness, long felt the day she was born in to this world. The Princess who waited for his Prince to come in a tower, she might have built herself or maybe built by someone else. Although, it’s not pictured fancily, but portrayed in the most boring manner born in the entire normal life.
Princess with such a perfect smile under a lock of curly brown hair from the rest of her straight brown that is nicely clipped under a lovely floral bow. Walking like always wearing a gown with springs on her feet making it like she was imagining her own swishy dress on her. Talking with the utmost elegance and courtesy because if she didn’t, well actually I don’t know what will happen if she didn’t. Maybe she just wanted to just do it like that.
Prince who dashingly walks beside her like he was on guard for something with his loving gaze. A strong lad that walks tall with pride, egotistical or narcissistic of his show of loving valor, no one will surely know. Only, the truth of how gallant he looks even without any shining armor, proves that without a doubt he is both proud at loving her and being himself.
We walk in the halls of dreams about to bloom or to be wasted. Among those with the same aim to walk the grounds around the world with a knowledge of limitless height or just slump their selves on the ground waiting for rain to just come and fall down.
“Yesterday was the greatest day of my life.” said Princess.
I raised my brow to her but as always love makes every day a new one so let this one pass, just like her other ones.
“Like every day for the rest of your lives together I guess.” Said supposedly listening me.
“Yes, just like that.” She said happily eating her food, which consist of food I dare say is ‘cough’-healthy. “Yesterday we spent the whole time walking down the shore while talking about so many things.” She paused nibbling on her dessert in between her main course.
“And what are those things?” I asked eating desserts first above all, almost instinctively absent minded.
“About his mother, he is worried sick about her again. He said that his father has not come home early again and that he didn’t like pink for an earmuff on December days. I gave him one to match it with me. Well so I said what do you want for December and he said me in a cake.” She giggled sweetly. “Such a funny man he is. I told him no because somehow it felt awkward being teased like that so I said then maybe I will give you something of a surprise. But I really do plan on doing it.” she laughed this time with her hands on her mouth to keep from letting people see her teeth.
I swallowed my food while she spoke of more things that did not concern me and things that would have been better if she had kept it a secret but what else can I do, I am a faithful prisoner of a lonely Princess. Who doesn’t even know that someone from the crowds, of unlikely peasants, have been watching for quite a long time. More like since lunch had started but I guess every lunch, and times when we are free that is when he can see her.
I have noticed him once before, it was long ago some time before Prince and Princess had been together. He was staring, the same thing that he’s doing now. Like he had never seen the Princess laugh her laugh or talk her talk or eat her lunch before, though maybe he was just dreaming his day.
“Hey are you listening?” said Princess bringing me back to her world.
“Yes.” I paused and sipped my juice. “No, sorry I wasn’t. You know how I easily get distracted.”
“What got you distracted? I thought you would like to hear my story for the benefit of storytelling.” She asked, she looked to where I was looking and stared back at me eyes twinkling. “No way, were you looking at a boy?”
“Yeah.” Said I, as I can’t lie. “Not that I’m involved with him or anything. He was looking at us so I thought I should look back.”
“Who was it?” she said with her laughing eyes.
I pointed at the peasant. He was now looking at the packed food he was eating because now his day dream was gone.
Princess paused, her laughing eyes gone and was replaced with a blank stare but returned back to her usual self when she saw me looking at her while I ate my dish to the last. It wasn’t the first time I saw her like that, but it was the first time I saw true gentle eyes. I thought that time that was what love should feel, being grazed over by gentle eyes like sending warmth through them. Warmth that travels via the air and in to your every pore sending you in every inch of excitement and fun or something like getting shocked a thousand volts.
I smiled to myself. In every story of a prince and a princess I knew, a side story of romance isn’t really unavoidable but what do I know. Maybe it was just whim.
“You know him?” she asked me.
“Nope.” I said as I literally finished my meal.
“Want me to introduce him to you.” she said and stood up not even finishing her vegetables.
“Hey aren’t you going to eat your vegetables? It’s going to be a waste---“ I cut my sentence as she dragged me towards the peasant.
We walked to the table hand in hand like the close friends that we are. She, carrying her things, while I dragged mine, her heels making the softest of sounds a heel could do while my rubber soles screeching as it was obvious I was being dragged. The way was short but during that time I never lost my sight to observe Princess was shivering. Her hands sweaty and cold and shivering like she was being pushed in to the hands of the evil witch. It made me think Princess was making a big effort to walk to him peasant, I wonder why?
“Hi, you still remember me?” she said finally stopping on his front.
Peasant looked up to her with his sleepy eyes he smiled at her shyly and nodded. I looked at him and in one guess I have proven that it was not just our table, me or the space around our table then that he was looking at. He was surely staring at Princess. His eyes sparkled with hope, something that did not escape my gaze. He was watching her talk, like me I knew he didn’t understand a word she said.
“So what do you say?” said the Princess.
I blinked back to reality thinking what did she say.
“Uhm---“ he looked at me his eyes loosing his sight of hope.
Blinking won’t do me good but I realized he had lost hope in his eyes and was looking at me sadly. “Uh--- look it was a misunderstanding you see.” I said as I was trying to control the situation back to reality. “This little Princess is too jolly to find me a date. When it was something of a mistake, don’t get me wrong, it is.” I said as finally the bells of time has set us off to the world of learning again.
“What did you do that for I thought you like him?” said Princess as evening has dawned over our day and it was time to leave.
“Well I was telling the truth. It was a mistake, your mistake.” I said as I closed my small shelf.
“It wasn’t, besides you need someone already since you will be lonely soon.” She said shuffling her feet like keeping a secret.
“What? Since summer is near you’re going to spend stupendous time with your love in a resort where only the two of you will exist like there was no me and the rest of the world, and you will have the time of your lives whatever it takes? Nothing new, it was like the thing you did last time when I wasn’t looking.” I said now as we both leave the halls of learning.
“It’s something like that. Why don’t you come this time? I guess it would be okay for him and you won’t be alone anymore.” She said waving to a friend.
“Why do you always conclude that not having a special someone is being lonely? Though I could get a use of change of scenery, do you still have our homework? I was hoping you could let me have it and study it for the supposed surprise exam on Monday.” I said as again I see Peasant, as my guess was right, watching us pass by like he was a moss and we were the non-moss.
I looked back at Princess to receive the papers of nonimportance but will be however the material to decide our future with finite numbers of results that concludes either to the embitterment of us or our rise, and somehow glimpsed a dose of peripheral viewing of the Princess towards the Peasant. I just realized, what an observant bug I was, but when I saw it I just cannot get it out of my head. Was this Princess really a true happy Juliet with her Romeo or was it a different Romeo she was hoping to find.
I am supposed to be telling a true love story, somehow I don’t think I’m getting the story that I was expecting. I’m getting a head ache.

Summer suns don’t make happy people think of anything happy. It was hot but what could the Prince and Princess be doing but of course be in the arms of their loving warmth. Doesn’t that make them hotter in feel? Sitting under the sun and making you sweat all over.
It was better if they just went to the fields like they should do and sweetly prance about with their springy steps and flowers that freely plucked themselves through the wind and fly. Fly to the sky and slowly come down to earth with a soft whisper. Gently brushing each other with gazes, like the gaze I said that thought of love and warmth, and send it to the air and what ever happened after happened.
Like a true love story should be I guess.
“Hey want something to drink?” asked the Prince who now brought me back again to the hateful heat of reality.
“Nope. Satisfied with this juice I’m drinking with.” I said with a satisfied smirk.
He remained quiet for a time.
I watched the invisible wind pass through like the suns shine I hold every time my hands poke outside my shade and see, Princess why don’t you look happy? Her sad lips touching her glass, with delicate eyes that seem to water every time your Prince leaves your side or is it because the prince was never beside you, or would you want to be forever with Prince in his arms. Never wondering what it was like in the arm of some other prince.
Like you were left in a balcony to wait for something to happen or someone to come, sitting like a beautiful swan in a lake so lonely. Why do you always feel like you’re still sad about your love story? Shouldn’t you be happy?
“What would you do if Juliet didn’t want to run away with Romeo?” I asked randomly at Prince who waited for his drink beside me.
He looked at me with his princely blue eyes like he was wondering what language I spoke. “What is that a homework on Shakespeare?” he asked in rebuttal.
“Yeah, our teacher wanted us to discuss on our opinion of Romeo and Juliet’s love story. You know the perfect love story.” I said tipping my juice. “There is no love story as bitter or as sweet than that of Romeo and Juliet’s love. What do you say? Since I assume you have an opinion of how a love story goes.”
He smiled at me and left with his drinks not answering my question. I assumed Prince would have known how a love story goes but I guess he isn’t as princely as he is in his thoughts.

“Hey what’s wrong?” I asked princess one Saturday afternoon. Where in summer Saturdays are heavenly with the warm winds and lovely sunsets.
She looked at me divinely, like it didn’t matter as one day before Saturday with the same afternoon where we met on a road she looked at me like I was nothing but a glass seen through. It made my gut feel wrenched from my stomach as if it wasn’t connected to it in the first place and I didn’t like it the least bit.
“What do you mean? If anything is wrong you as my closest friend will be the first one to know it. Nothing is wrong. Why do you ask?” she said her eyes looking so innocent.
“Nothing is wrong, you sure of that?” I asked one more time.
“Not one bit.” She said making sure, her sweet smile hiding all her worry.
So our afternoon started and ended the way fine as any other ordinary day. Where she tells me stories of her love escapades while I listen to her ears wide open and when all is done left to walk home licking a scrumptious cold dish served in the sticks. When I saw Peasant boy walking outside a convenient place to buy your needs where he placed a cargo of importance to a cart and left it there almost to fall, I came to aid and helped him lift it of course.
“Thank you.” he said shyly and went back in.
While I followed with complete indifference to buy something of a necessity to the female kind, I wonder how Princess handles this kind of worry? Well, I bought and went to buy it but before I left I watched to see if his world was truly different with Princess, and it was. I just wonder why would Princess look at him the way she shouldn’t? He looked up at me shyly.
“Hey.” He said and asked if I was the girl Princess introduced to him.
I nodded and continued to survey him.
He said shyly that what happened last time was nothing, he was sure she was only pulling his leg or something about chicken but I didn’t listen as my mind was intent on asking only one thing.
“I saw you before. You used to watch her from a distance.” I said as I was sure I rudely cut his speech short. “Are you in love with her?” I asked.
He paused and for some time I was sure for a peasant he blushed like a small child, and for quite a time I saw a prince in his place. I wonder do prince’s blush if they are in love?
“It’s quite personal, sorry, but I just want to know.” I said as he paused from doing something before telling me the none the less unheard story.
He bowed his head down and told me a story I never believed was real in this world. He used to be loved by her; she used to be loved by him. Like summer cold breeze under winter blossoms they celebrated like fairies making lovely flowers in every step they made. With each passing day a new and never a dull moment, like a love story of a prince and a princess.
He made her smile like the sun makes the world go round and she made him feel secure like the blanket of the moons light under the star dim sky. They were in love so eternally like just an impossible love story of Romeo and Juliet, and just like the love story of Romeo and Juliet somehow they weren’t meant to be eternally, alive in the prospect of the latter characters.
“Why?” I asked while we walked home together.
It was night fall already it was that long he said the story and yet it was so short that I never thought I would be listening to it till the night breeze came or was it because night was already falling when he said his story.
“Well,” he said, not sure when to start. “It’s kind of complicated.”
“I think this is the best love story I ever heard, for now, I guess.” I said to him.
He smiled at me gently like those words were already said to late. “She has someone now, I should be happy for her.”
“I guess if you two were still together she wouldn’t smile like she smiles right now.” I said, he looked at me, his eyes focused. “Don’t get me wrong I think she is happy with her life with him right now. It’s just that I don’t know, she doesn’t smile like she should. Not that I am saying I am an expert with knowing those kind of stuff, cause I haven’t been in love you know.” I said watching him what he would say.
We walked silent for a while. It was like I was walking with someone who knew how it felt to walk on summer breeze. Who would know that peasant boy felt like that for Princess. Well it wasn’t impossible for a love story to have a side romance.
Maybe that was what she was thinking when ever she wouldn’t have any companion. Her sweet love story with peasant boy. Yeah. Maybe.

I seem to be a magnet of impossible stories. Another story of romance blossoms before me and this isn’t the story I want to see. If Prince and Princess weren’t born out of Kings and Queens I wouldn’t know what to do. I was watching a King and Queen make the Princess world possible with their money and impossible connections. It was nearing the end of summer and it was time again to stay in Princess’ place to stay with her since Prince was with his family.
Princess’ King and Queen parent’s are very loving and caring, just like they should be. They were the perfect parents who gave their everything for their only daughter. It was today she would meet her Prince’s King and Queen, it wasn’t the first time but just so you know it was like facing the family for the first time. I don’t know why I should be there, as it was fine letting both King’s and Queens just be there to support their children but somehow Princess wants me to be there. Was I that important to her? Isn’t it she should be strong enough to be for her Prince?
“You know you could actually just let me be. I still have some homework to do.” I said not wanting to be in the middle of the supposedly royal affair.
“Wait.” She said clinging to me tightly. “Stay with me.”
“Okay but just so you know don’t go running to me because you got cold feet. Geez it’s like wedding day already for you two.” I said.
She slapped me hard like she didn’t like my joke. She didn’t.
Both royalties greeted each other with gaiety and such hospitality that I do really think royalty has come to this world in the form of these divine creatures. Parents of such exquisite beauty the same as their children, like in fairy tales the beauty of her mother or the strength of his father what ever he or she inherited from them it was clearly seen through. We sat under a royal dinner where they talked fondly of each other like they knew each other before smiling gaily and yet amidst all this a small tension between Prince and Princess. I frown at this.
Dinner was over and we were invited to stay for a royal talk over television. It was delightful if you were the only one amongst them who made true noise instead of talking over the weather and the weather man. I frown at this. King father of Prince seems so distant with mother Queen who talks so much with King and Queen of the Princess while somewhere in between I seem to see an unsettling tension between them.
“Hey what’s wrong?” I asked her.
We were both outside the living room, she watching the sky while I ate without any hesitation a scrumptious handmade sandwich by Queen of the Prince.
She smiled at me faintly. There was something wrong.
“The last time I asked was like ages ago you said you were fine. I guess you aren’t” I said. “You know I talked to him.”
She looked at me with wondering eyes “Who?”
“You know that guy you wanted me to date so desperately. I talked to him thought you knew him and you did. Long time ago.” I finished my finger food and resumed. “He told me something interesting although I wouldn’t tell it anymore in a form of a fairy tale but was it true?” I asked her.
She looked at me for a while like Peasant not knowing when to start. The two are such nice people they never minded me meddling on something long gone.
“Well, are we going to stare in to space or are we going to answer my question.”
“It’s the past I shouldn’t be thinking of it anymore. I was young, it was long gone.” She said smiling softly. “But it was the best thing I ever had. It was just too long ago.”
“It’s a love story. Don’t put me into the shadows tell me everything?” I said looking at her sternly. “Not just because I want to hear a love story but because I want to know about what to do with you.”
She looked like her usual self her smile like a princess, it was fake with every fiber pretending she was happy as she told me her story. How so true was her Romeo walking down with her through town secretly under the wings of thy watchful goddess Aphrodite. They watched the children laugh thinking how would their children be when they were bore and born, if how many should they consider or what their house would look. Would they build it in the outskirts of a cliff near a shore that looked over the ocean where they can see the sun set like a painting on a picture or a town where it was close to civilizations sake. What they would wear on their wedding day, would they wear white under sky blue or sky blue over white. What their vows would sound like when they would get married.
Now that was what a love story should be, like something told with cotton candy and warm milk over the clouds. I listened to her heart who cried for him all night long like the princess that she was. Every day she didn’t want him to leave her like a mother to a child but things don’t go well. In the end they didn’t became forever. Why?
“Why?” I asked her the same question I asked him.
“It was difficult.” She said as if groping for words to say. “We knew it was impossible to love each other but we just did. He said these exact words to me, I could never ever see that we can be together. Just seeing him makes my heart beat so much that I could cry because I know somewhere inside that small heart you have I couldn’t least fit in.”
“That was when?” I said.
“When I already have my Prince with me.” She said sadly.
“Oh! So you had him when you already have another.” I said a matter of fact, like I didn’t consider how she felt when in fact I just didn’t really know what to say. “Kind of complicated.” I said to myself.
“Right now I have to be happy for my Romeo.” She said to herself.
For some reason I didn’t want to hear her say those words, it made me sadder than a little princess losing her father. “It’s not the love story I was hoping to hear.” I said to her and left her with her heart silently tearing.
I stepped inside only to find myself face to face with Prince who was looking at me sadly.
“You were listening?” I asked him.
“No.” he lied.
“Liar.” I said to him. “So what do you say about it? It’s not like you don’t have anything to say about it.” I asked.
He looked at me with his princely strong eyes but it never escaped me how sad he felt inside. He wants to remain strong and firm for his love but was it really his love or his pride he wanted to remain firm.

“If you’re going to cry your little heart out once, you should do it now.” I said to Peasant boy.
We are now both eating our measly meals away from the royal couple. Who spends their time in a fake story they just taped together. I felt like Prince didn’t want me around her ever since. So I gave him the favor and went away cause I won’t waste my time in front of someone who doesn’t want me in front of them. I guess there is no such thing as perfect prince, they are just princes.
“It’s not like everybody will listen.” I said to him still convincing him to do something about her.
“Nah~ she’s happy with him. I shouldn’t just pop it up like that.” He said eating his packed sandwich. “It’s not like kneeling on the ground and putting down a ring for her would mend it.”
I looked at him as if I saw angels fly down from the heavens. “What if it would?” I told him.
He looked at me like I was telling him to jump off a cliff without looking. Well I was, but just because.
“Be a Romeo.” I said chomping on my dessert.
“But she has one right beside her.” He said pointing at snobbish old prince.
“Who cares about that snotty prince?” I said, “You deserve to be her prince. You’re the Romeo she has been waiting above a balcony while the moon light stayed brim for you to see her.”
He looked at me like I was pulling a prank. “Yeah right, so Shakespearean.”
“Come on don’t waste the moon light, its romantic. You can totally do it!” I told him slapping his side.
“Why do you keep on insisting that I go and court her?” he said rubbing his shoulders. “It’s like you want her or your Romeo back.” He said then suddenly paused. “That’s it, is it? You’re in love with her boyfriend?” he said at me smiling slyly.
In a short time we had been friends I am surprised he can come up with something personal and hilarious. But somehow it felt awkward.
I looked at him with wide wondering eyes “How-did you-know?” then slammed my half finished pudding on his homework. I laughed out loud at his ridiculous and aghast expression that I cannot help at snorting several apologies and guffaws.
“Really, somehow I don’t remember ever talking to him or you seeing me talk to him. I think he hates my guts. I guess I want her back.” I said to him short and simple.
“Yeah so do I.” He said more to himself.
“I assure you she will.” I said as we both exchanged smiles.
I didn’t tell him what she thought about their relationship. I left it blank for him just in case those lines would find a better story to fill but right now all they need is someone to find a way for their love story to move on. I don’t want them to forget their impossible love story, not that I was a part of it.

Days went on without any word as the halls was filled with laughter and certainly hidden tears I watch the day turn to night then I guess the process repeats till further change if there will be. Peasant boy never did anything for their love story, it was left hanging. I was sad about it and so was she.
I saw how her tears fell when finally the day came when she no longer felt like she was happy, her façade of fake happiness gone and all that was left was her love story that seemed well on the outside but not for her inside.
“So if you’re out of love for him why don’t you break up?” I suggested.
“I don’t know, maybe I can’t.” she said to herself more.
“Why? Because of him.” I said saying the words she can’t say.
“It’s not that easy, he loves me.” She argued.
“Do you believe in those words you’re saying?” I answered back.
“I do.”
“More than your love story?” I said finishing the argument.
She glared at me, it was my first time to see her so angry at me. She is too nice to be angry just this once but somehow it didn’t make anything good to be angry at and she left me with a hanging question I knew she knew the answer.
I sat there reading while my mind swiftly shifted. Till I heard a chair clatter beside me, I looked at it like it would suddenly speak to me about something. Well it did.
“Nice day to read a book.” Of all the people, but of course the Prince.
I looked at him like he was just someone below me.
“Were you listening again to what we were talking about?” I asked him rudely.
“Why? I’m her boyfriend I have all the right to know what you talk with each other.” he said. I knew he knew what we talked about.
“When are you going to loose your spoiled prince act and start acting mature?” I told him.
“What? Do you know about anything?”
“Then tell me your side of love story, maybe you won’t be completely offended, so can I, when you say your side of the love story. I’m a friend and I’m telling you I may not run your stories but I see them and I don’t even know if its going well. You trap her in your love like it’s necessary while she keeps on hoping she made the right decision of choosing you instead of her Romeo.” I told him quite short tempered.
“What so now you know how she should love? You’re just a friend. She loves me, I love her that’s enough.” He said like he had no heart.
“Tell me then why does she loose her love to you?” I said in a high voice.
A shriek pulled our attention to the now Princess who stood behind us her eyes now wide with terror as her readings laid stiff on the floor all facing down like they pretended they didn’t knew Princess who was about to read them. Her eyes made my heart falter a beat, it was full of anger and sorrow, and confusion. It wasn’t because of anything but because of me. What should I do?
She ran away shrieking the word “Who told you it’s your love story!” in the air like a princess in true distress flowers slowly wilting as she ran outside keeping from her people to see her face beat red and tear stricken. Prince follows chasing her to aide and support leaving me with a look that behind its strong essence the same anger, sadness and confusion.
Did I really hurt her? Them, My Prince and Princess? Who I think lived a world of imaginary love. Maybe they did love each other or I think they do. I don’t know anything. Am I the bad evil witch? Was I like Juliet’s father and Romeo’s mother, who prompted them to stay and never love? Or was I just stricken by the sadness that somehow now I felt since finally I felt I AM lonely?

I listened to the music, it was night, a ball was going on. I was invited but I didn’t mind. I dressed and made my self good but that was all with no one to dance with, not like the princes and princess’ around me. I ate the food. I sat and listened but that was that.
It has finally come to this am I really truly lonely?
She, the princess, dragged everyone’s attention to her it was the night no one, not even the other princess’ would ever forget. She was ravishingly beautiful her twinkling eyes under a lock of curl behind a perfectly beautiful white veil above her head, it would have fooled anyone but I thought it was her wedding gown. Her hair not the usual straight beauty but the curly ones that made ice cream’s and clouds scream for envy. Her every movement like the sun made a path for her and angels behind singing their Gloria. She was the thing of beauty, I smiled so happily at least to see her enjoy her self tonight.
Beside her was her prince the same as she was beautiful, more than beautiful, he was handsomely divine. He was throwing clouds of passion towards the women like they yearned to be the princess and no man ever compared to him except for peasant boy, true Romeo. He stood silent with someone I don’t know. Like me silent and lonely, but he didn’t need to be, he didn’t want to be. Not like me who loved to be alone amongst all the space of the world.
Yes, that is right. I’m lonely but I really am not.
The night, because of their arrival became the attraction of every bug around a light that brightly shown. Admiring their every move, dancing beside them only to catch a glimmer of light to satisfy their every whim like there was no better whim than to fly around a light bright and dazzling.
“Hey! Got no date?” asked Peasant as he handed me a cup of wine.
I held the wine but didn’t drink it till I say I do. “Nope. Why? Wanna be my date tonight?”
“Sure why not?” he said just like a friend would toss a hand around another friend which he did.
“Not happy this time of the night? It’s a midnight party, nobody should feel the cold squeeze in.” I said to him as we sat down, like when we crossed the dance floor it was as if saying we would have danced only we both have two left leg and decided to just sit quietly.
“I would if I don’t have two lefts.” He told me as he sat comfortably on his seat.
“I have two rights and I guess I still want to go and boogie.” I said to him as I grazed the dance floor searching for Prince and Princess. “Hey look why don’t you do it tonight?” I said. I saw them alright and I know she was just waiting for him. Like seeing her eyes tinkle tears of wait as she danced on the floor like a flower gently being ushered by the rhapsody breeze.
He continued looking serious and satisfied with his seat.
“No plan in ever talking to her even telling her about how you feel?” I said almost like loosing hope.
“I do.” He said his eyes slowly romantically twinkling.
So maybe I shouldn’t go and say something unnecessarily mushy but what can I do that is what I saw. I was happy about it and excited. He left it at that saying just ‘I do’ like in a marriage and it was my part to make it happen. I knew what was in his head; there was no plan at all. All he need was the moment and the moment can’t be delayed because if it wasn’t now then when will it happen.
I jump up the moment the music ended and another began it was assorted and perfect. The sound was sweet and lyrical like the sweet sounds of the birds turned solemn and slow. Maybe the birds tunes don’t make it sound sweet but it was lyrical and somewhat oriental to the touch with a certain taste of the modern. I especially love the violin but I am a fan of it what can I say. Violins are the loveliest singers. They tell you what you need to feel just the way a song should do. With a dash of springing jolly steps and skipping through bodies of ardor and delight, I grabbed prince and princess hands. Bravely stepping in their world not caring what they would think. If they think I am that fairy god mother or that evil witch, whatever.
“Hey, cover your face.” I told her like I think a dashing prince would to a princess.
A second she looked confused another she wondered and at last her face became a smile. I know she knew. She waited. I was wrong, she wasn’t angry at me, she was afraid. She was afraid he wouldn’t step up and come. She covered her face with her lovely veil as I released her hand I held.
While I held the Prince in wait. He may have pushed through and wanted to chase her but I held his hands tight. He looked back at me with his scared eyes. I smiled at him like I was saying it was alright to let go of a death of his pet to a child.
She reached her Romeo even before I could blink my eyes. They met hands held tight, her eyes brimming with joy while his brimmed with laughter. They held their vows in a hurry and bowed like they were in the presence of a priest to bless them and before anyone could even notice it they happily wed themselves to each other just like the true fairy tale they abruptly ended. I laughed at them like the fool who wisely left them to be but what else could I do the crowd has already pushed me away from them.
He stayed. I didn’t know I could make him do that. He went to my side and gently danced with me instead of his princess. His movements told me it wasn’t alright.
“Did she already bring it up to you?” I asked while I stood cradling him on my shoulders like a baby.
“Yeah.” He said his voice loosing its bravado. “She told me everything. From the first time she met me till this day she left me. She told me everything.”
“It’s alright with you?” I asked.
He didn’t say anything, all he did was just stay by me until he didn’t want it anymore.
“The night is as young when Romeo and Juliet first met. They didn’t know they would love each other but they did. How could they possibly know though if only nothing stood between them? So like fate made it possible they met again only that was to be eternal just not in names but in destinies hands they lived forever. You may not be her Romeo but a love story is a love story. She has her own, he has his own. You have your own.” I watched behind his back, as possible as I can, the Romeo and Juliet, who made their way through the crowd and in to the lush beautiful night singing both praises of love.
“And just like Romeo and Juliet they will be forever.” He murmured under his voice.
“I guess.” I said to him.
“How about you? Do you have your love story?” he said his face stricken with tears.
Eyes don’t lie they say, they also cannot convey, converse or color the world. However touch did not seem to betray, as I locked his fingers preventing him decidedly to prevent the love story I had anticipated, his question brought warmth into my hands.
There may be no quick personal answer to a question that wasn’t meant for me. But soon there might be one, you’ve just got to wait for the right time to write it.
© Copyright 2017 Solemi (goleti_ramein at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2127471-Hand-Maidens-Tale