*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2130061-Being-Self-Aware-through-the-Golden-Rule
Rated: E · Essay · Inspirational · #2130061
Why utilizing the Golden Rule can help each other.


         I believe that all people should live by the Golden Rule. Treat others the way you want to be treated. I learned the value of this rule while growing up. As early as five years old, I was taught that every action has a reaction and how important it is to reciprocate good behavior. A question I often asked my mother when I was younger would be, "How come I give and share with the people in my class and they don't do the same to me?" I believe we all deserve the same respect, but sometimes life doesn't work out that way. So what should we do?
         I honor this rule a lot because it leads to self-awareness of how one should be treated. Politeness, appreciation, awareness, gratitude and sincerity. These are some of the values I want to be honored when I am helping someone and when someone is helping me. I had a friend who became one of my roommates that I would often help. In this situation, I found myself running into the "Golden Rule Dilemma". Whenever she wanted help applying for internships or jobs, getting involved in organizations and social events, I was always there to help. However, when I would ask for help with anything or wanted someone to talk to, I never felt acknowledged. She was always "too busy" or would mumble, "Fine, I'll help", but would never lend a helping hand. I felt unappreciated and had to accept my friend as just a roommate. When I asked my mother how come I don't get the same respect in return, she said, "Because you are helping her with expectations that she will do the same. You have to genuinely give and not worry about what people will do for you." In this sense, it made me feel different about myself and not really the person I was helping.
         The Golden Rule teaches people to act morally and ethically good to get the reciprocated behavior back. I think one of the important lessons to remember about the Golden Rule is that it should not only be used to envision how you should be treated, but to practice doing good behavior. In essence, applying this rule to everyday actions is like practicing good karma--what you put out is what you get back. One of my favorite quotes is from Maya Angelou: "When people show you who they are, believe them the first time." In doing so with this the Golden Rule, people have to be accepted for who they are--flaws and all. When applying this rule as a set behavior, taking off the focus from ourselves leaves a reaction to not be taken so personal. If and when I find myself giving too much, I have to remind myself why I'm giving and am I doing it genuinely despite what could happen. We would all need help from each other at some point. Helping from the heart would ultimately be the best choice.

© Copyright 2017 Tori Autumn (vglaude at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2130061-Being-Self-Aware-through-the-Golden-Rule