*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2133160-The-Hallway
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #2133160
Just an analogy of life
I stared down a hallway, the walls were white and the lighting was dim. The hallway almost seemed endless, laced with hundreds of doors. Each door was unique in it's own way, some were more colorful and well decorated, others were bland and had hardly anything on them at all. Each though was beautiful in it's own way. I stared at them in amazement, trying to imagine what each door could possibly hold. I also noticed many people there with me, each one walking in and out of the rooms. Some people walked into a room and never came back out, some walked sadly from room to room. One person held a map in his hand, he told me how he had figured out where each unlocked room was and had opened each door for a moment, standing in the hall and seeing what the room held without actually walking in. I saw others sitting on the floor, not looking at any of the rooms at all. I began to walk slowly until I came across a door that really seemed to catch my eye. The coloring was magnificent, and the decorations made a smile cross my face. I quickly turned the handle and opened the door wide. The contents were just as beautiful as the exterior, I quickly made my way in and began to explore. A few moments passed but I had hardly noticed, everything in this room was breath taking. Eventually I began to be sucked towards the entrance, as if the room was pushing me away. It felt like the room no longer wanted me to explore the inside of it. I eventually found myself back in the hall, staring at the closed door in front of me. The decorations that had once seemed so beautiful didn't make me smile anymore. I stood there confused for a moment, but then I remembered there were so many other rooms to explore.
I turned around and began to walk, again admiring each door as I passed. Yet another door caught my eye, I reached to turn the handle but found it was locked. I was disappointed to find that I couldn't explore this room, but I remembered there were several other doors to see. As time passed, it seemed to me that each time I found a door that caught my eye, I would only be able to spend mere moments in the room before it began pushing me out. Leaving me alone yet again in the hallway. I became discouraged. What if I would never find a room that I could spend forever in? I found myself being more cautious as I tried the handle of each door, and yet they all ended up the same.
I had walked for a long time, being content with just staying in the hallway and admiring the doors as I passed. Until one caught my eye. This door was more beautiful than any other door I had ever seen, I hesitated but eventually reached out and tried the handle. It was hard to open, but I eventually made my way inside. This room was different than the other rooms, not everything in this room was beautiful at first. Some things were broken, damaged, shattered completely. I reach down and touched a touched the broken piece, it wasn't as beautiful as the other objects in the room, but it still seemed to hold beauty. This room caught my interest more than the other rooms had, and I began to explore more and more. Digging deeper and deeper. I had completely forgotten about any of the other doors in the hall and the wonders that they could have possibly held, because this room felt safe, and it's beauty was breath taking. But then I stopped, checking my watch. I had been in this room longer than any of the other rooms I had been in before. I smiled, maybe this was the room that would finally accept me. I continued to explore the beautiful objects, every once in a while stopping to admire the damaged pieces as well. But then I noticed something I hadn't seen before, in the farthest corner I noticed an object that didn't look as inviting. In fact, this certain object made me slightly afraid. But if this was the room I was going to dwell in for the rest of my life, I wanted to know more about this object. I reached out to touch it, but as soon as my hand got near it, the room pushed me out with a force I had yet to feel. And as suddenly as I had walked into the room, I was once again in the hall. The gorgeous door slammed shut in my face.
I stared at the door, tears welling up in my eyes. What had I done to cause the door to throw me out? I continued to stare at the door, again forgetting about the other doors around me. I had thought this room was the one. I wasn't sure how long I stood there, mere hours? Maybe days? But after a while, I turned my back to the door that had broken my heart. I again stared at the hundreds of doors in front of me. None seemed as beautiful as the last door had been, but I began to walk nonetheless. I came across a door that was almost equally as beautiful as the last door had been but I stopped myself before touching the handle. What if the same thing happened to me as it did before. I pulled my hand away, I wasn't ready to be thrown out of another room just yet. I took a deep breath and turned from this door as well. I began to walk, admiring the doors. I had decided from then on that I would never enter a room unless the door opened on it's own.
© Copyright 2017 Katherine Rook (haleychilders at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2133160-The-Hallway