*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136259-NaNo-2017-premise
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Mystery · #2136259
The premise behind my 2017 NaNo Novel: Tangled Rootd
Laura Weber has finally decided she will stay in Nolden and upon buying a house, finds a body as she preps for a garden in the back of her property.
Laura Weber is the main character. She moved to town over a year ago to help her aunt, Jean Weber, run her antiques store after the death of her husband. Last summer she found a body in an old car submerged in the lake near town while she was out fishing.
Out of that tragedy came a relationship. Laura is now dating Chad Kiefhauer, a local sheriff’s deputy who was working on that case last summer.
Laura has recently bought a house. She has a doting neighbor, Mrs. Melinda Applegate. As Melinda and she are talking one day, Bailey, Laura’s dog, runs by from a new garden area with something in his mouth. Laura chases after him to find he has a bone. But there is something else attached to it. It looks like a flannel shirt. Laura is thrown into another mystery in an otherwise quiet small town.
The body will eventually be identified as Sandy Prescott. He was a local kid without much promise. He worked at the Longbranch and was known by many, but basically used by the local rich kids to get their pot and even alcohol when they were younger. He thought they were his friends, but they were just using him.
There was an accident and a kid with a promising future was at fault. They blamed Prescott. The person who was killed was Elaine Thomas, the wife of Jed Thomas, who owns the local marina and bait store. Jed is a good friend of Laura’s, but always refused to talk about the accident that killed his wife. His son was also involved, but has no memory of the night of the accident.
As Laura starts looking into what happened that night, it causes issues between her and Jed. Jed does not want the issue brought back up again. He, too, was threatened if he were to disclose the truth about what happened that night.
Prescott was eventually killed – it was made to look like a suicide. The other young men involved wanted to make sure he would never talk. Suicide seemed plausible, as Prescott was drunk the night it happened – as he usually was. He felt horrible about the whole thing, although he knew he wasn’t driving that night. But, with his blood alcohol being what it was, they tried to convince him that he may have been driving and he did, indeed, cause the accident. He may have even started to believe it himself.
© Copyright 2017 Beck Firing back up! (write2b at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2136259-NaNo-2017-premise