*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137872-Slim-Black-Dress
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Death · #2137872
Flash Fiction based off of a Polaroid picture with the heading "On the way to his funeral"
Slim Black Dress
“God Dammit,” she muttered to herself as she looked at the tear-stained photo. She stood alone in a dim room with only her rapid snivels and various panic attacks keeping her company. Her face was covered with running tears, snot, and makeup. She straightened up with her hands pressing back against her forehead as she felt another wave of panic fast approaching.

“You Look Beautiful.” She heard his voice in the back of her mind, calming her down. Turning her head as if she could find him, she only found the mirror with her shadowed figure glaring at her. Wearing the slim black dress, the same one she wore when he asked her out, the same one she wore during their first homecoming together, the same one she wore to his parents' wedding, and now the same one she would wear to his upcoming funeral, she felt somehow closer to him. He always said that when she wore the dress, “You Look Beautiful.” The thought ran wild in her mind, leaving her in temporary bliss before she remembered she would never see him again, not here at least. “You Look Beautiful.” The words repeated themselves until the sobbing ceased and she could feel him holding her passionately for one last time. “You Look Beautiful.” She heard his faint whisper before he lost hold of her, slipping away from her unstable reality.

Shaking her head as if the thought would leave, she looked out her window; the world seemed so small from here without him. Opening the panes she stepped outside onto her balcony. He loved to sit out here with her and watch the city far away; a state of tranquility they’ll never share again. Out here the air was still yet somehow cold, something she had never experienced before. She found it a place of warmth, hope, and love. Her favorite memories of him were found here, their own happy place. Their serenity.
Hands gripping the railing, her sobbing returned. Thoughts of him flooded her mind, his thick black hair, his broad, toned shoulders, his deep and soothing voice, his strong arms holding her, protecting her from the evils of the world. His smile, his laugh, his ideas, his plans, his motivation, his impact on not only her world but those of so many others. She loosened her grip, her emotions disregarding any sanity she had left, and threw herself over the edge.

Now they’ll be together again, on the way to his funeral, her funeral, their funeral. Together again, she’ll be with him in the slim black dress.

© Copyright 2017 Pippen217 (pippen217 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137872-Slim-Black-Dress